Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: I have searched the forum, but can't find any recent posts. The main thing holding back my husband and me from living in Spain is the worry over health coverage. We are both retired (early). Is there some type of National/Provincial health insurance that one can purchase? AND, does anyone know a ball park price for this type of coverage? Thanks for any info..Maddie

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hello all: I have searched the forum, but can't find any recent posts. The main thing holding back my husband and me from living in Spain is the worry over health coverage. We are both retired (early). Is there some type of National/Provincial health insurance that one can purchase? AND, does anyone know a ball park price for this type of coverage? Thanks for any info..Maddie
in some areas - for instance where I live, there is such a scheme - but it's expensive - something like 250 euros every 3 months per person - so 2000 a year for 2 people

private healthcare is, however pretty cheap

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in some areas - for instance where I live, there is such a scheme - but it's expensive - something like 250 euros every 3 months per person - so 2000 a year for 2 people

private healthcare is, however pretty cheap
Thank you for your response. Well, I must say that 1000 euros per year is extremely cheap compared to what I pay here in the USA for very terrible coverage with a HUGE deductible. And I am a non-smoker with NO illnesses at all!

Now, I don't understand your comment about "private healthcare". Do you mean purchasing health insurance from a private company?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you! Maddie

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Thank you for your response. Well, I must say that 1000 euros per year is extremely cheap compared to what I pay here in the USA for very terrible coverage with a HUGE deductible. And I am a non-smoker with NO illnesses at all!

Now, I don't understand your comment about "private healthcare". Do you mean purchasing health insurance from a private company?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you! Maddie
seems expensive to us, because it used to be free (to UK citizens)!!

here's a link to explain it - it's aimed at UK citizens, but I would imagine that it does cover any foreigner, but you'd have to check

yes, private healthcare is purchasing health insurance from a private company, and costs a fraction, but of course doesn't cover pre-existing problems

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
Not sure about Spain, but you generally find that the government health care programs in the EU are only open for "buy in" to nationals of other EU countries. You may want to take a look at the health care plan offered through AARO (an American expat association based in Paris) that is available only to members. Given your current residence status in the US, you may be eligible for membership - or you could contact the insurance broker who handles the AARO contract to see what is available on a private basis: AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America

At a minimum, this will give you some idea of the costs for a standard expat policy.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Not sure about Spain, but you generally find that the government health care programs in the EU are only open for "buy in" to nationals of other EU countries. You may want to take a look at the health care plan offered through AARO (an American expat association based in Paris) that is available only to members. Given your current residence status in the US, you may be eligible for membership - or you could contact the insurance broker who handles the AARO contract to see what is available on a private basis: AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America

At a minimum, this will give you some idea of the costs for a standard expat policy.
Cheers,
Bev
I'm not 100% sure if non-EU citizens are covered either - it's a very new scheme in this area

I can't see why the govt would refuse anyone wanting to pay them money though, as long as the person was legally entitled to live here;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for all the info. As you may be somewhat aware from international news, health insurance in the USA is a complete disaster! VERY expensive for terrible coverage, huge deductibles ( Mine is USD 3,000.00 but many plans have 5 or 10 thousand dollar deductibles), no dental, no vision coverage. And even after that, most things are not 100% covered. UGH!

So, at least, apparently, the cost will be no worse if we move to Spain, it seems.

Again, so kind of all of you to respond.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thanks very much for all the info. As you may be somewhat aware from international news, health insurance in the USA is a complete disaster! VERY expensive for terrible coverage, huge deductibles ( Mine is USD 3,000.00 but many plans have 5 or 10 thousand dollar deductibles), no dental, no vision coverage. And even after that, most things are not 100% covered. UGH!

So, at least, apparently, the cost will be no worse if we move to Spain, it seems.

Again, so kind of all of you to respond.
For a couple in their mid fifties with Sanitas the cost for private cover would be around €1400 for good cover

·
Registered
14 Posts
Healthcare cost

Hi:

According with your figures & todays US$/Euro rate, 250 euros should be US$1,272.00, so that is pp, so it should be $US$ 2,544.00 @ yr. for 2 people;
That is very cheap by US standards, We're are still working, self employed & will retire soon & move to Spain, we were paying $30,000.00 w/o co-pays, we're 64 yrs. old with no mayor health issues, do have elevated blood pressure, but we take medications & are relatively healthy.

We could no longer afford our medical Ins. & dropped it last yr. self-employed people pay thru the nose here, that figure above of US$30,000.00 did not cover anyone else in our business, just my Husband & myself!

They're pushing the retirees out of this country way too exorbitant to live here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Health Ins. Cost.

Hi: I'm very new here, just registered today,

We're planning on retiring to Spain, I too had the same ?? I just called the Spanish Consulate in NYC.
A US citizen residing & retiring in Spain will need a "private Insurance policy"
however, from what I hear here, its very cheap compared to what we pay here in the USA, so 1,000. euros pp per yr. is super cheap, plus the prescriptions meds are also very inexpensive.

If only Medicare will cover us there???:) some people are trying to lobbing just that in Washington DC. to be cover by Medicare overseas, but I don't think it'll be even considered...w/the # of US citizens retiring oversees it's a BIG revenue that they wouldn't want to miss! good chunk of change to pocket!:mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, the Government has announced it intends to change access to public healthcare system in November. The aim is basically to complete the universalization of public health care. Here´s a link to an article on the subject.

Miles de personas sin paraguas sanitario · ELPAÍS.com

One of the issues faced by the Government is the situation of foreign residents. Here´s an associated article which touches on the position of residents from "wealthy" countries such USA and Norway.

¿Y los extranjeros? · ELPAÍS.com

Hopefully, there will be a bit more detail about exactly how the Government intends to handle this over the next couple of months. As well as looking at private health care (which is very good value here), it might be worth keeping up to date with the changes to the public health care system.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hi, the Government has announced it intends to change access to public healthcare system in November. The aim is basically to complete the universalization of public health care. Here´s a link to an article on the subject.

Miles de personas sin paraguas sanitario · ELPAÍS.com

One of the issues faced by the Government is the situation of foreign residents. Here´s an associated article which touches on the position of residents from "wealthy" countries such USA and Norway.

¿Y los extranjeros? · ELPAÍS.com

Hopefully, there will be a bit more detail about exactly how the Government intends to handle this over the next couple of months. As well as looking at private health care (which is very good value here), it might be worth keeping up to date with the changes to the public health care system.
yep - that's why we have our fingers crossed but are not holding our breath!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Healthcare

Hi Timr:

Thank you so very much for the link to the two articles on the Healthcare system & what is taking place in it.

I read it & will definately keep up to date on those issues!

Thank you to all of you who so kindly have replied to my questions I posted today, my 1st day on this forum!

oakisland

G

·
Hi: I'm very new here, just registered today,

We're planning on retiring to Spain, I too had the same ?? I just called the Spanish Consulate in NYC.
A US citizen residing & retiring in Spain will need a "private Insurance policy"
however, from what I hear here, its very cheap compared to what we pay here in the USA, so 1,000. euros pp per yr. is super cheap, plus the prescriptions meds are also very inexpensive.

If only Medicare will cover us there???:) some people are trying to lobbing just that in Washington DC. to be cover by Medicare overseas, but I don't think it'll be even considered...w/the # of US citizens retiring oversees it's a BIG revenue that they wouldn't want to miss! good chunk of change to pocket!:mad:
Compared to what we pay in the US, health insurance here is downright affordable. I've been lucky to have it included as part of my pay, and I've been very happy with the insurance company (Mapfre). Can't tell you what they charge though.

Good luck with the pre-Spain paperwork!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This topic interests me because I've been told as an American if I work and pay social security, I will be entitled to health benefits. However, I haven't been able to get much more information than that.... I will look into it and see what I can find out :)

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
This topic interests me because I've been told as an American if I work and pay social security, I will be entitled to health benefits. However, I haven't been able to get much more information than that.... I will look into it and see what I can find out :)
yes, if you have a proper work contract you will be entitled to healthcare - your employer should sort that out for you

not the card - social security payments

or if you are paying social security as autonoma

G

·
So as long as you're working on a legal contract you're covered? I'm not sure i see the point of taking out private insurance...
I'm not so sure about that - I've been told that as long as I'm here on a student visa I have no access to public health care.

I'm quite happy with the private insurance I have. I'm also able to get in to see a doctor much quicker than my Spanish OH is. Depending on your patience level, private insurance could be a good deal.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So as long as you're working on a legal contract you're covered? I'm not sure i see the point of taking out private insurance...

If you or your employer are paying you to be the Spanish ss system then you're covered. So if you have a proper contracted job or if you are self employed paying autonomo! So no you dont need private health cover

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm not so sure about that - I've been told that as long as I'm here on a student visa I have no access to public health care.

I'm quite happy with the private insurance I have. I'm also able to get in to see a doctor much quicker than my Spanish OH is. Depending on your patience level, private insurance could be a good deal.

aha, but you are used to USA health arent you!! The good old NHS is a tad slow. Its all down to what you're used to and beleive me, Spains health service is much quicker and the facilities are much cleaner than I found it in the UK! And I used to work for the NHS

jo xxx

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.