Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone here!

It's my first post in this forum. I just moved and am currently living in Lyon, France with my French girlfriend who lives here. I intend to stay in France for the future and hope to find employment soon (although it is never easy in this economic situation).

My question is about health insurance coverage. I found out that after 3 months you have to register with the local mayor to conform with the rules for EU citizens living in France.

So would it be possible to be covered under health insurance for the first 3 months with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), and then after the 3 months to have insurance with a CMU (Couverture Maladie Universelle).

Of course my intention is not to simply live off benefits in France, it is to work and help my girlfriend and her daughter. I just am not experienced in this area and would be very grateful for some advise from the good people in this forum.

best wishes

Paul

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
If you were covered in the UK for health insurance, you should be able to get an S-1 that would entitle you to regular health care cover here until you found a job (for up to 2 years, I think it is). Basically, it transfers your UK coverage to France - though practically speaking you'll have the same coverage as any other French resident. The French just charge the costs back to the NHS in the UK.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were covered in the UK for health insurance, you should be able to get an S-1 that would entitle you to regular health care cover here until you found a job (for up to 2 years, I think it is). Basically, it transfers your UK coverage to France - though practically speaking you'll have the same coverage as any other French resident. The French just charge the costs back to the NHS in the UK.
Cheers,
Bev
Bev,

Thanks so much for your prompt and informative reply! :)

I will look in to this,

best wishes

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers,
Bev
Hey Bev,

Just researched this online and found out that you have to had contributed to the UK NHS for the previous 3 years before to be eligible for this form. I have been living in the states for the last 5 years so unfortunately I am not eligible for the S-1, guess I'll have to stick with the CMU after all.

Just thought I'd let you know

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey Bev,

Just researched this online and found out that you have to had contributed to the UK NHS for the previous 3 years before to be eligible for this form. I have been living in the states for the last 5 years so unfortunately I am not eligible for the S-1, guess I'll have to stick with the CMU after all.

cheers

Paul
Hi,
I'm afraid you will find that you are not eligible for the CMU, until you have been legally resident in France for 5 years. In order to be legally resident , you have "have sufficient resources to not be a burden on the state", and to have full health insurance , which in your case , unless or until you get cover via employment or by starting a viable business, you can only get from a private health insurance company.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
I'm afraid you will find that you are not eligible for the CMU, until you have been legally resident in France for 5 years. In order to be legally resident , you have "have sufficient resources to not be a burden on the state", and to have full health insurance , which in your case , unless or until you get cover via employment or by starting a viable business, you can only get from a private health insurance company.
hmmmm interesting, see this link:

CMU Protection Complémentaire - Free Health Insurance in France

when it says "They have lived in France for at least five years. or earlier".

My girlfriend says she knows of many people who come to France as new immigrants and are entitled to this, and have not lived in France for 5 years.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hey Bev,

cheers

Paul
Complex problem. First off the HMRC website says:

If you:
• need healthcare cover
• have recently left the UK, and
• are not working
you should contact the Department for Work and Pensions

DWP issues S1 for retirees among others.

Second, you can voluntarily pay UK NIC Class three contributions (which will contribute to your final pension) and you can buy back the missing years; up to 6 years I believe. I did this living in the US for 20 years. If you are paying NIC then HMRC can issue an S1 I believe.

Bon chance

·
Registered
974 Posts
For clarity I think it's better to refer to the official French sites for information. Here is what I found; to be eligible one of the requirements is:

Résider en France de façon stable et régulière
Vous devez être installé depuis 3 mois sur le territoire national. Pour les personnes étrangères, la résidence régulière est justifiée si elles disposent d'un titre de séjour en cours de validité, ou d'un document attestant qu'elles ont demandé le renouvellement de leur titre de séjour, ou encore d'une attestation de dépôt de demande d'asile.

CMU complmentaire : y avez-vous droit ?

If you continue reading you will also see that the resources of your girlfriend count in regards to your eligibility (Pour la CMU complémentaire, le foyer comporte le demandeur, son conjoint, son concubin ou son partenaire lié par un PACS) - even if you are not PACsed your girlfriend is your concubin. If your girlfriend is receiving any allowances from the CAF (seeing as she has a daughter), these are also counted in the resources (L’ensemble des ressources du foyer perçues au cours des 12 mois précédant la demande, y compris les prestations familiales)

It's better to be as informed as you can.

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
Another good source for information about the CMU, with plenty of links to official government sites is Service Public: Couverture maladie universelle (CMU) et Aide médicale de l'État (AME) - Service-public.fr

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that you have to register with the local mayor after 3 months, but as long as you're going to the mairie anyhow, you should talk to them about CMU. Most mairies have a "social assistant" you can sit down with to determine your eligibility for various aids and social programs. It won't hurt a bit for you to register with Pole d'Emploi either - not for benefits, but for help finding work and any classes or other programs that might help get you started.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.