Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of moving with my elderly mother to Mexico, Panama or a few other countries when I recently found out that I may not be able to find any health insurance company who will sell her insurance to be covered for emergency hospital care should anything serious happen to her while in these other countries.

My mother is 77 years old and had a stroke 6 years ago but has slowly improved a bit since then and has never had another stroke or emergency situation since then. I take care of her myself to keep her out of a nursing home. I had hoped to move with her permanently out of canada or at least for 6 months a year at least in Mexico, panama, etc. but am not sure if this will even be possible anymore as I have not been able to find any health insurance company who will cover her at her age and with her having a stroke 6 years ago.

My mother had a bad experience 6 years ago in Cuernavaca where she would snowbird with my father for the last 10 years for 6 months a year. They never bought health insurance for those years. In 2010 while in mexico she had a stroke and she was brought to a local hospital and stayed for only 2 weeks. She was in a coma for a short time and in the ICU and fed through a gtube, but because she had no health insurance my father was literally billed aprox $70,000 cdn which was his entire life savings, he was forced to put it on his credit card down there as well. I can never risk having this kind of exorbitant hospital bill being billed to her ever again as I could not afford such a bill, and my father has since passed away and my mother only receives a small pension and I will not risk putting her or myself in bankrupcy for an out of Canada emergency hospital bill.

I do not want my mother to rot away in Canada until her death and had hoped to be able to move with her out of canada to a more warm climate such as mexico or panama or at least take her on trips out of canada to these places around 6 month a year, but if I can't find reasonable health insurance companies who will sell her full emergency hospital coverage then I am afraid I will have to permanently remain in Canada with her until she passes away, or risk another huge hospital bill which would take all of our remaining savings and putting us in bankruptcy.

If anyone knows any seniors in similar situations as my mother and was able to get health insurance at age 77 or above would you please tell me the company and their contact info, especially if they had some prior health problem such as my mother had with her stroke. I really hope I can find some way to get her covered for another possible hospital stroke emergency outside of Canada, but I am not sure if it is possible anymore.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I understand your frustration, as a 78 year old who lived happily in Mexico for 13 years, until too many hospital visits forced us to move to the USA, where we have Medicare and the VA. Unfortunately, the higher cost of living is probably going to bankrupt us before we die, so we are wondering if we made the wrong decision. Maybe we should have stayed in Mexico and taken the chance of doing without the private hospitals by using only Seguro Popular.....a rather frightening thought, but so is the alternative in the USA. At least, as a Canadian, you do have the security of socialized medicine and the option of taking a few vacations to warmer climes for a few winter months. Is there a risk? Sure, but...........

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
After 70, it's almost impossible to get private health insurance in Mexico. The two public plans, IMSS and Seguro Popular, have been working well for many people. IMSS has a waiting period for covering pre-existing conditions, but Seguro Popular will take anyone. It sounds like this might work for you, so I'd suggest looking into it.
My spouse and I have IMSS coverage but have never used it. We pay out of pocket for our office visits, but IMSS is for a possible catastrophic event. The cost of both programs is very reasonable, especially Seguro Popular.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Sounds like you're getting really homesick, RV. My empathy.
As I told our OP, some people have had very satisfactory outcomes using S.P.
Much as I'd like to think otherwise, if you google around a bit, you'll find that although the U.S. has the highest COST of medical care, it's well down on the list for quality, world wide. Maybe you'd live longer, or at least happier, if you came "home".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Getting private health insurance at a certain age can be tricky, anywhere in the world. I'd research local hospitals in Mexico (private and public) to see what kind of solutions they offer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was in the process of moving with my elderly mother to Mexico, Panama or a few other countries when I recently found out that I may not be able to find any health insurance company who will sell her insurance to be covered for emergency hospital care should anything serious happen to her while in these other countries.

My mother is 77 years old and had a stroke 6 years ago but has slowly improved a bit since then and has never had another stroke or emergency situation since then. I take care of her myself to keep her out of a nursing home. I had hoped to move with her permanently out of canada or at least for 6 months a year at least in Mexico, panama, etc. but am not sure if this will even be possible anymore as I have not been able to find any health insurance company who will cover her at her age and with her having a stroke 6 years ago.

My mother had a bad experience 6 years ago in Cuernavaca where she would snowbird with my father for the last 10 years for 6 months a year. They never bought health insurance for those years. In 2010 while in mexico she had a stroke and she was brought to a local hospital and stayed for only 2 weeks. She was in a coma for a short time and in the ICU and fed through a gtube, but because she had no health insurance my father was literally billed aprox $70,000 cdn which was his entire life savings, he was forced to put it on his credit card down there as well. I can never risk having this kind of exorbitant hospital bill being billed to her ever again as I could not afford such a bill, and my father has since passed away and my mother only receives a small pension and I will not risk putting her or myself in bankrupcy for an out of Canada emergency hospital bill.

I do not want my mother to rot away in Canada until her death and had hoped to be able to move with her out of canada to a more warm climate such as mexico or panama or at least take her on trips out of canada to these places around 6 month a year, but if I can't find reasonable health insurance companies who will sell her full emergency hospital coverage then I am afraid I will have to permanently remain in Canada with her until she passes away, or risk another huge hospital bill which would take all of our remaining savings and putting us in bankruptcy.

If anyone knows any seniors in similar situations as my mother and was able to get health insurance at age 77 or above would you please tell me the company and their contact info, especially if they had some prior health problem such as my mother had with her stroke. I really hope I can find some way to get her covered for another possible hospital stroke emergency outside of Canada, but I am not sure if it is possible anymore.

Thank you
You haven't indicated in which Canadian province you reside, but I assume you are aware that your mother should be covered for up to 7 months (in B.C. and Ontario), in the calendar year, from the date she left her home province, up to the limits set by that province for each medical charge. Yes, those provincial limits will not cover all charges, but they will certainly cover a large portion of them.
(I'm one who believes that cases where Mexican doctor/hospital charges significantly exceed those that the province would cover are proof positive that there is a two-tiered price sytem for healthcare in Mexico: one for Mexican nationals and another for foreigners - and I'm referring here to the private system, not IMSS. But that's another issue.)
My ex-employer provides full healthcare coverage - up to $500,000 - anywhere in the world, for the first 40 days out of our home province. Beyond those 40 days, we're "on our own", since the costs for 6 months private coverage for our situations are prohibitive and out of the question. So, for the balance of the 6 months we're away each year, we keep our fingers crossed and hope that our B.C. Medicare would cover a large portion of any Mexican charges we might incurr. Fifteen or so years ago, when Mrs. H. broke her arm in Puerto Vallarta and was treated at two different private PV hospitals, B.C. Medicare covered all the charges.
The 5 or 6 days we spend travelling through the USA on our way home are the real scary ones. Medical charges in the States are unbelievable and should be a source of shame and outrage for all Americans.
Now I'll get off my soapbox.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Thank you
I don't know Canada, but if she maintains a legal address, maybe a relative's house, would she eligible for Canadian health care? I don't even know if your free system has different systems for workers and retired people, but even so, perhaps you can find a place to live in Mexico near an international airport.

Isn't there a traveler's insurance only for getting a sick person back to his/her own country? That would be good to get, though they may have age limits.

Even if emergency travel insurance is not available, then you could get her a regular doctor in Mexico, which costs far, far less than in America, anyway, and use emergency hospital care only to stabilize to the point where she can fly back to Canada.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
After 70, it's almost impossible to get private health insurance in Mexico. The two public plans, IMSS and Seguro Popular, have been working well for many people. IMSS has a waiting period for covering pre-existing conditions, but Seguro Popular will take anyone. It sounds like this might work for you, so I'd suggest looking into it.
My spouse and I have IMSS coverage but have never used it. We pay out of pocket for our office visits, but IMSS is for a possible catastrophic event. The cost of both programs is very reasonable, especially Seguro Popular.
IMSS will exclude you from joining for some chronic diseases. They have a 6 month, 1 year , 2 year and 3 year waiting period on other chronic diseases and treatments and operations needed, It depends on what condition you are in when applying.

From the IMSS website:

Exclusions to join,

Google Translation:

"• not subject to insurance people who have: malignant tumors, chronic degenerative diseases (late complications of diabetes mellitus), diseases: Hoarding (Gaucher disease), chronic liver disease, kidney failure: • Some pre-existing, such as illness chronic valvular heart disease, heart failure, sequelae of ischemic heart disease (arrhythmia, angina or myocardial infarction), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with respiratory failure, among others
• chronic systemic connective tissue diseases, addictions like alcoholism and other substance abuse, mental disorders such as psychosis and dementia; congenital and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome or Human Immunodeficiency Virus positive of diseases (HIV)"

Asegura a tu familia para que puedan recibir servicios médicos en el IMSS.

It also states there is a minmum of 2 family members to join.

"Individual must be at least 2 people, the head of the family group and your immediate family, as spouse or concubine , children, father, mother, or your additional family members, such as grandparents, grandchildren, siblings, cousins, children of siblings, siblings of parents. If you are the owner of the family group and if you reside abroad, you can also purchase this insurance for your family."

Seguro Popular takes legal residents of Mexico. Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente and anyone, any age can join with any pre-medical conditions and only about 2% of the 49,000,000 members pay an annual fee or pay on the 3 year contract for their family. Renters and people without a vehicle do not pay.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I know several expats who are single and were able to purchase health insurance from IMSS.
I asked my wife about that. She guesses because the emphasis is on family units at all Mexican socalized medicine institutes that this rule or policy is there to keep the family unit together. That being the case I might guess if one spouse doesn´t qualify for the IMSS but can join the Seguro Popular then the family unity is broken up. If the spouse doesn´t qualify for the IMSS but the other spouse does this rule seems to be in place from keeping the spouse that does qualify from joining and forces both to joing the Seguro Popular instead of one with the IMSS and one with the Seguro Popular.

She also gueses it doesn´t apply to widows/widowers or single people. This rule hasn´t been around for a long time as far as I can figure out.

Another thing some people don´t seem to realize is that a complete physical should be done when joing the IMSS to start a file and determine if the information you put on your application is true and correct regarding pre-existing chronic diseases.

Asegura a tu familia para que puedan recibir servicios médicos en el IMSS.

Google Translation:

"• In any case, the IMSS will make full or partial repayment of the payments made, so it is very important that all information provided is correct and complete, especially referring to pre-existing conditions."

Some people have joined, not disclosed their real condition on their application and paid for years and have never been in to get service. Then when they do finally go in have been diagnosed with chronic disease which disqualifies them from treatment and got thrown out. This has happened to several or more Expats in Chapala where a faciltator purposely joined people up with chronic conditions where they did not disclose that condition and did get thrown out after they finally went in and were diagnosed.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Another reason for thar rule might be if the spouse is a member of another Mexican socilaized medical plan like Pemex or the ISSSTE it would encourage the other spouse to stay with them as they have no pre-existing medical condition exclusions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update

pffff well i wanted to give an update for anyone interested in knowing. I was in Panama with my mother up to a few days after I wrote my first post, and they refused to sell my mother any coverage there. I then checked canadian and us companies and could not find anything that would cover her over the age of 74. So I was forced to cut our trip and return to canada otherwise I was at risk of loosing our whole life savings if something happened. I have been searching for brokers in canada and found one yesterday, he has an expat option he knows about through AIG, but guess how much it would cost per year? $37,000. I am about to throw up, with the highest deductable of $10,000 I could get it down 40% to just over $20,000 per year. Myg man, brutal.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
pffff well i wanted to give an update for anyone interested in knowing. I was in Panama with my mother up to a few days after I wrote my first post, and they refused to sell my mother any coverage there. I then checked canadian and us companies and could not find anything that would cover her over the age of 74. So I was forced to cut our trip and return to canada otherwise I was at risk of loosing our whole life savings if something happened. I have been searching for brokers in canada and found one yesterday, he has an expat option he knows about through AIG, but guess how much it would cost per year? $37,000. I am about to throw up, with the highest deductable of $10,000 I could get it down 40% to just over $20,000 per year. Myg man, brutal.
Wow, that is brutal. Have you checked with your provincial Ministry of Health about what can be covered out of country? In Ontario OHIP will cover physician fees for medical emergencies up to the amount that would be paid in Canada. The amount for Emerg visits and inpatient coverage is outlined below. The reason it's important to have additional insurance if travelling to the US is because the costs will generally far exceed what the same service would cost in Canada. I would think that in Mexico the differential would be less. Of course under this scenario you cannot be out of the country for more than 212 days (7 months) per year (for Ontario) or you lose OHIP coverage.

Here are the fees covered by OHIP for emergency out-of-country medical costs. I wonder if any expats on the forum have information on how much it might cost per day as an inpatient. I know last year when I took my mother-in-law to Emerg in Cuautla, it was very reasonable. All in (IV, blood tests, an X-Ray, physician services) it was incredibly reasonable. I don't remember the exact amount, but I recall it was under $50.

For physician services, OHIP will pay the actual cost billed by the out-of-country physician(s) or the cost of the same physician service(s) in Ontario, whichever is less. Physician services in Ontario are usually rendered at a significantly lower cost than those billed at out-of-country health facilities. Please note that out-of-country health facilities and physicians usually bill separately.
For outpatient emergency room services, OHIP will pay $50 Canadian (CDN) per day.
For inpatient services, OHIP will pay $200 CDN per day. If the services are inpatient services rendered in an operating room, coronary care unit, intensive care unit, neonatal or pediatric special care unit, then OHIP will pay at the higher rate of $400 CDN per day for hospital services.

For outpatient dialysis services, OHIP will pay $210 CDN per day.
The "per day" rates listed above cover all hospital inpatient services including, but not limited to, accommodation, meals, prescription drugs, surgically implanted devices and nursing services.

Note: OHIP does not pay for ambulance services, transportation costs, or out-of-hospital food/accommodation/drugs or prescriptions.

Here's a link to the webpage:
Travelling Outside Canada - Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) - Publications - Public Information - MOHLTC

·
Registered
594 Posts
Am I Seeing this Correctly...?

What about this one.... ? plenitus.com.mx. (Planes: Cobertura médica para mayores de 60 años).
My wife is Mexican I could have her call and find out for your mother's particular case.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been doing research into IMSS, Seguro Popular and other Mexican health plans. Plentus was suggested in the post above (I added the link), and I have to wonder if this was done as a joke...? If I read correctly on the website, coverage plans are available for approximately $396,666 / $103,888 / $51,944 (US @ $18 MXP avg per dollar) - ...are you kidding??

I can only assume the amounts for the plans are one-time charges, but that is still waaaaaayyy more than anything I'd consider reasonable for the "average" person looking for medical coverage, especially as a retiree.

Any other feedback on this plan?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been doing research into IMSS, Seguro Popular and other Mexican health plans. Plentus was suggested in the post above (I added the link), and I have to wonder if this was done as a joke...? If I read correctly on the website, coverage plans are available for approximately $396,666 / $103,888 / $51,944 (US @ $18 MXP avg per dollar) - ...are you kidding??

I can only assume the amounts for the plans are one-time charges, but that is still waaaaaayyy more than anything I'd consider reasonable for the "average" person looking for medical coverage, especially as a retiree.

Any other feedback on this plan?
I think you are misreading their info. Those numbers must be the amount of coverage and not the cost of that coverage.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Oh..... (still more questions)

I think you are misreading their info. Those numbers must be the amount of coverage and not the cost of that coverage.
Thanks Horseshoe - you can tell I'm quite the novice at understanding this type of info... all the more reason for resorting to you & the forum for help or protection from myself.

Okay, those figures representing the limits of coverage is more reasonable. I guess the only way to get a ballpark figure of personal cost is to fill out the profile / questionaire under the "cotiza" tab. Will hold my breath & give it a try...

Still, is there anybody else on here who has this coverage or knowledge of it? How do you feel about the quality & thoroughness of their service?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts