Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been employed by a Spanish company in Barcelona for the past 14 months, but recently resigned from the job.

I never registered for state health care, as the company provided me with private health insurance.

Would I now be covered by the state, considering that I have been paying national insurance during the employment period?

Many thanks.

James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey James, yes, you will be covered for the public heath coverage. That is anything related to illness or accidents. Anyone living in Spain has access to public health. I recommend you to register at your local health center to make things easier when/if you need it.

·
Administrator
36,517 Posts
Hey James, yes, you will be covered for the public heath coverage. That is anything related to illness or accidents. Anyone living in Spain has access to public health. I recommend you to register at your local health center to make things easier when/if you need it.
that simply isn't the case - not everyone resident in Spain has access to public health - far from it

JamesSpain - I'm not entirely sure if you can register for healthcare, now that you're no longer working - if you had registered while still under contract then yes, you would have qualified while working - but I'm not sure how long that would carry on after you stopped

you need to get to INEM & register as unemployed ASAP

when did you move here & when did you register as resident/start work?

so much has changed in the past couple of years that the dates are all-important

·
Registered
9 Posts
The general health law of 1986 recognizes a right to health services for all citizens and for foreigners resident in Spain.

However maybe things have changed since I have been away for a while. I'd go to your health center and just ask.

·
Administrator
36,517 Posts
The general health law of 1986 recognizes a right to health services for all citizens and for foreigners resident in Spain.

However maybe things have changed since I have been away for a while. I'd go to your health center and just ask.
things have changed tremendously.... there were even changes just last month!

foreigners absolutely do NOT have any right to healthcare except under very specific conditions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts