Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Ive been prompted to start a new thread on this subject so here it is.

Here's a link to the original article that started me on my journey into using diet to increase my health and well being, It is rather long but will explain the details of why I started this journey a lot more clearly and eloquently than I can.

This is probably not for everyone but Id like to encourage lively and well informed debate on the topics that surround these issues as this can only advance the understanding of the subject and hopefully get more people into living in a manner which gives what I have found to be enormous benefit.

Evolutionary Fitness: the diet that really works - Times Online

I suggest reading this first to get an idea of where i'm coming from and you can than take it wherever you want. Ill continue to post more links as I get round to it

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Because I've been eating this way for so long now (7 years) I know so many sites, doctors, authors and scientists who can simply walk all over the modern day "low fat/low cal" type diets that I could fill up this whole forum and probably bore everyone to death.

The one thing I will say is that we really dont take enough notice of the food we eat. We moan cos we're overweight, we become ill, we get rashes etc... but its very rare anyone stops and thinks that maybe its the food they eat! Ok, most of us have heard of people with nut allergies and we may even know of one or two who are allergic to shellfish or strawberries. But why should it end there? And when you consider all the additives, preservatives, colourings and high sugar content in nearly everything we eat, I'm not surprised so many people suffer with ailments... the increase in cancer, sugar diabetes, heart desease, IBS, eczema, asthma, obesity, arthritus... I'll bet we all know more than one person with any of those !!!

Jo xx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because I've been eating this way for so long now (7 years) I know so many sites, doctors, authors and scientists who can simply walk all over the modern day "low fat/low cal" type diets that I could fill up this whole forum and probably bore everyone to death.

The one thing I will say is that we really dont take enough notice of the food we eat. We moan cos we're overweight, we become ill, we get rashes etc... but its very rare anyone stops and thinks that maybe its the food they eat! Ok, most of us have heard of people with nut allergies and we may even know of one or two who are allergic to shellfish or strawberries. But why should it end there? And when you consider all the additives, preservatives, colourings and high sugar content in nearly everything we eat, I'm not surprised so many people suffer with ailments... the increase in cancer, sugar diabetes, heart desease, IBS, eczema, asthma, obesity, arthritus... I'll bet we all know more than one person with any of those !!!

Jo xx
Well said jojo,

I personally follow a paleolithic diet as described in the following link and have found that in the 2 years ive been eating this way I have not been ill in any way.
I have more energy than ever before and I wake up in the mornings feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead.

This lifestyle change has helped in many other ways such as helping me give up the booze because it makes you think about what you are putting into your body and makes you think of actually preparing the food for yourself instead of rushing around trying to find the nearest most convenient way of dealing with hunger.

I think we have lost sight of the fact that food is what the body needs for nourishment and we need to eat the correct things to provide the vitamins and minerals the body needs to operate effectively, If we don't supply the basics the body needs then there is no wonder it begins to fail and you get increased incidence of diseases like cancer.

Just recently my youngest brother has been diagnosed with crohns disease, he is 18 years old, was vastly over weight, only eats crap and sits at a computer gaming all day. When I bluntly pointed this out at a family gathering the other week I was rounded on by everyone and told not to be so stupid because the doctor had told them it was probably genetic, Funny thing is out of about 45 different family members I know of who are still alive and none who have died in my lifetime not one of them has had crohns.

Now I will over time try and educate him on the importance of diet in relation to bowel disorders but I fear im wasting my time as its easier to keep treating the symptoms and not the cause. someone somewhere will get richer from the sale of the drugs they will pump into him and nothing else will change.

The doctors will keep prescribing the pharmaceutical companies will keep pumping out the drugs and the governments wont upset the status quo because of the money they get.

In the end its up to you if you want to look after yourself because nobody will look after you better than yourself.

INTRODUCTION TO THE PALEOLITHIC DIET

The link above gives an idea of the foods which you can and cant eat whilst following this lifestyle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Jo xx
Just a quick one off topic, Im coming over on 16/10/09 for 10 days If I see you in bar El pozo Ill but you a cofee (no sugar ofcourse)

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Can't wait to read all of this when I've got a bit more time and energy, but am v. interested in the whole food and health issue and buy as much organic and non processed food as poss. because I believe it has a huge effect on who we are and what we're like.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Can't wait to read all of this when I've got a bit more time and energy, but am v. interested in the whole food and health issue and buy as much organic and non processed food as poss. because I believe it has a huge effect on who we are and what we're like.
Seriously PW, when you really start looking into it, its amazing that the human race is still going strong, health goes out the window when theres money to be made!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good for you!

I think you also feel a greater connection between yourself and the food because you are interested in where it comes from, the quality and the whole process of preparing the food.

I also find I have greater mental clarity and increased concentration (but not where the Spanish language is concerned)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Good for you!

I think you also feel a greater connection between yourself and the food because you are interested in where it comes from, the quality and the whole process of preparing the food.

I also find I have greater mental clarity and increased concentration (but not where the Spanish language is concerned)

I've found that I dont obsess about food as I used to! In the olden days I'd no sooner finish my breakfast before I'd be rummaging around looking for a snack and then another one. Then I'd want something savoury cos I'd been eating too much sweet stuff, and then planning lunch and then more snacks... it was relentless, I also used to be so lethargic and slow and I'd be so tired after lunch I'd have to have an afternoon nap... not to mention all my ailments, which ALL totally dissappeared!

Nowadays, I can very easily forget to eat :confused2:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you are so right jo!

I couldn't agree more, I now enjoy what I eat alot more than i used to I think the emphasis for me is more on the quality than the quantity.

I was just having a look at Arthur de Vany on you tube and that is one the things he tries to get across, eat as much of this stuff as you want because its good for you but if you forget to eat all day don't worry about it.

How simple can it be!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Plus, the quality of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts and walnuts, available here in Spain,make following this diet much easier.
I've been eating this way since 06 and it turned my health around.
If you do well on lowfat/high starchy carbs, then you are fortunate - the dieting industry is waiting for you, but for those of us with autoimmune diseases or metabolic syndrome, we have to be more informed and be prepared to walk a fairly lonely path.

I had a very nice day eating gazpacho and avocados the other day. A good day indeed and I felt fantastic the next morning.
xxxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Plus, the quality of the nuts, almonds and hazelnuts and walnuts, available here in Spain,make following this diet much easier.
I've been eating this way since 06 and it turned my health around.
If you do well on lowfat/high starchy carbs, then you are fortunate - the dieting industry is waiting for you, but for those of us with autoimmune diseases or metabolic syndrome, we have to be more informed and be prepared to walk a fairly lonely path.

I had a very nice day eating gazpacho and avocados the other day. A good day indeed and I felt fantastic the next morning.
xxxx
YAY, another "nutter" in every sense of the word!! Well said!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
87 Posts
Si!!

It's almost nut time too- not forgetting the noble castañas of course, which are just starting to fall onto the roads.
It really is so much easier to do the Paleo diet here. Cheaper too!
xxxx

YAY, another "nutter" in every sense of the word!! Well said!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19 Posts
I try to eat as healthy as poss, but it's not always easy. Talking about hereditry afflictions I am type 2 diabetic with two brothers who are, and a mum who was insulin dependant, and an aunty, grandma, great grandma etc who were diabetic. A Mum, 2 grandma's, 2 aunties and a cousin who went from cancer. I try to have a healthier diet but need to keep up on the carbs and to top it all am allergic to fish and nuts.

Oh well time for another beer

Darren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,

I was reading the thread and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, I would like to add my view also, if you wouldn't mind.

The fuel that we give ourselves is only 50% of the equation, I can't stress enough how important exercise and pushing oneself physically is.

I have trained every single day for the last 5 years and have not had one single cold or illness in that time.

Our bodies need to be pushed, used and flexed.

Use it or lose it.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Guys,

I was reading the thread and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, I would like to add my view also, if you wouldn't mind.

The fuel that we give ourselves is only 50% of the equation, I can't stress enough how important exercise and pushing oneself physically is.

I have trained every single day for the last 5 years and have not had one single cold or illness in that time.

Our bodies need to be pushed, used and flexed.

Use it or lose it.
hhhmmm, thats where I falter!! I hate exercise and dont do much! However, what I find strange is that on the odd occasions when I do exercise it seems I can outrun, out dance out swim everyone in my family both in speed and distance??!!

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.