Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have no problems living here in MX, but some things I see here still make me scratch my head and wonder. Such as:

1. Police cars with their flashing lights turned on all the time. Even the Federales do this out on the autopista. Are they intentionally trying to give all bad guys a heads up by doing this, so the bad guy stops what he's doing until they pass, and then resume? Or avoiding having to get out of their car to write a ticket or make an arrest? Or are the cops trying to show the pueblo "Hey - we're out here working hard for you!" The only time I see the lights get turned off is when they stop in the mornings to eat their gorditas. Has any MX politician ever suggested that they might take a bigger bite out of crime by being a bit sneaky and killing their flashing lights unless it's an actual emergency? Or would the cops forget to turn them on in the heat of pursuit and then blast through an intersection and cause accidents?

2. Go out in the morning and walk the streets in any town in MX. Every day at any business and in many homes, someone is mopping the floor inside. So what does the mopper do when they are done mopping? They take the bucket just outside the front door and toss all of that dirty water right in front of the door. Is this to make more work for tomorrow and appear needed, or do they really enjoy mopping every day after everyone tracks that crap right back inside where it started?

3. Many times, if a taxi driver dares to toot his car horn, a transit cop will immediately step out from the sidewalk and write him a ticket for the noise. But, should a little truck from Coca-Cola or some out of town Norteño band drive slowly through the streets blasting loud music or announcements about their concert tonight, all at about 130 decibels, nothing. I gave up drinking Coke for just this reason. In my opinion, taxi drivers are easy targets and abused by the transitos. Everyone else (especially taxivan and Coca-Cola drivers), gets away with almost everything.

4. Doorways (especially in the older buildings), where the floor levels on each side of the doorsill are at drastically different heights? Step through a doorway, and Boom! the floor inside is a foot lower than the outside of the same doorway. Easy to miss if the sun is bright outside and the inside is in deep shadows. Surprise !! Maybe one floor was done by the maestro and the other by his new apprentice. I understand that many times, there is a 6" rise going inside to prevent any scorpions from also coming in, but a 12" difference, with the inside lower than the outside??

5. No one yields to an ambulance. (on the other hand, the ambulance guys also keep their emergency flashing lights on all of the time too, with or without a patient in back). If I ever need a ride after a heart attack, I hope some of you will let us pass so I get to the hospital in time and survive!

6. Autobuses, and passengers as the bus nears the station. It's a contest to see who can be the furthest back in the bus and yet manage to shove their way to the front of the line for the exit door at least 100 yards before the bus stops at the station. This behavior doesn't seem to appear in other situations, and most times people here in MX seem to go out of their way to be courteous. Social status or age doesn't appear to play a part on the bus either. The old guys and guys in business suits are right there trying to be first in the exit line too. Never mind the anciana sitting in the first row seats for the weak or infirm - the old hag can wait.

7. Left turns from a highway outside of a city. The correct way is not to pull as far left as possible with your left turn signal on and then wait for your chance to turn left. The correct way in MX seems to be to pull over to the right side of the roadway, with your left turn signal on, and then make the left turn from the right side of the roadway, across both sides of traffic, when you can. Yikes!

Got anything that makes you scratch your head (other than an annoying ******'s musings :D:D) ?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
GC: You have the makings of a great stand-up comic...I love your observations.

Hey, I heard that Andy Rooney's job is open, can I set up a meeting with your people and the CBS people?

Actually the only reason for this reply is to thank you for reinforcing all the reasons that I can't wait to finish our move there, by this time next year. I, too, want to view "absurdities" and comment (in a non-malicious way) on them. Can you imagine a Mexican in the USA doing what you are doing? I'd love to hear their comments on NOB "peculiarities".

I think you have a future - and George Carlin would be very proud of your insight.

Thanks for the lighthearted look. :D

#7 - I saw that thing about left turns from the right lanes on the carraterra in Puerto Vallarta, it was strnage, but then did you ever make a "Michigan Left Turn" in Michigan? You turn right onto the road you want to go left onto, drive aways down, then make a U-turn to go the way you want! Or "jug handles" in New Jersey, you turn right to turn left?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I can think of a few more. Why are the shower head in all hotels, motels and people's houses aimed at your chest instead of your head? Why are most promotional banners across the sidewalks and the ropes holding up the tarps at las tianguis only 5 ft. 5 inches high and some of the tarps also? Why do most people prune their trees hanging over the sidewalks cut only 5ft. 5 inches from the sidewalk?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can think of two more. Why are the shower head in all hotels, motels and people's houses aimed at your chest instead of your head? Why are most promotional banners across the sidewalks and the ropes holding up the tarps at las tianguis only 5 ft. 5 inches high and some of the tarps also? Why do most people prune their trees hanging over the sidewalks cut only 5ft. 5 inches from the sidewalk?
EZ on the hotel shower heads: it's so you don't get your hair wet and have to re-style it. If you're a woman you understand that. Us 6 foot plus men, love the chest/back massage!

Oh and 5'5" tree pruning? How tall is the average Mexican?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
EZ on the hotel shower heads: it's so you don't get your hair wet and have to re-style it. If you're a woman you understand that. Us 6 foot plus men, love the chest/back massage!

Oh and 5'5" tree pruning? How tall is the average Mexican?
Then I have another one. Why do people put indoor ceramic tile on their steps and sidewalks, even on the sidewalk in front of their house on the street? When it rains you slip especially if it is on their uneven driveway! There is usually puddles along the curb in the street and hard to get around without getting splashed when going around these hazards, especially by playful taxi drivers!

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,070 Posts
Then I have another one. Why do people put indoor ceramic tile on their steps and sidewalks, even on the sidewalk in front of their house on the street? When it rains you slip especially if it is on their uneven driveway! There is usually puddles along the curb in the street and hard to get around without getting splashed when going around these hazards, especially by playful taxi drivers!
Simple. They look nice, and there are no ambulance-chasing, personal-injury lawyers around to make it a bad idea. :)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Ceramic tiles

Simple. They look nice, and there are no ambulance-chasing, personal-injury lawyers around to make it a bad idea. :)
They do look nice. I have started noticing some people have switched them to outdoor cement tiles after the ones on the driveway and cochera have all cracked and broken apart lately. Those are not slippery when wet. Limited liability does make a big difference in Mexico. My wife slipped on the ones we have on the 3 steps down to our cochera which is under a part of the second story and can not get wet and sprained her ankle very badly.

·
Super Moderator
9,046 Posts
I can think of a few more. Why are the shower head in all hotels, motels and people's houses aimed at your chest instead of your head? Why are most promotional banners across the sidewalks and the ropes holding up the tarps at las tianguis only 5 ft. 5 inches high and some of the tarps also? Why do most people prune their trees hanging over the sidewalks cut only 5ft. 5 inches from the sidewalk?
Maybe because the average Mexican is shorter than the average ******? As a shorter than average gringa, these things you mention have never bothered me.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Average height

Maybe because the average Mexican is shorter than the average ******? As a shorter than average gringa, these things you mention have never bothered me.
They don't bother me. I was surprised when staying at the Hotel Emporio in Iztapa that the shower head came out of the wall aimed that low but not at the other hotels and houses. The only ones I would prefer to be higher are the ones in my house in Mexicali. I have been used to ducking under things when walking and rarely get dinged on the forehead anymore. As for tripping on uneven sidewalks or stepping off of a 12 inch high curb and being surprise when in a new and interesting location, I still do that. LOL I haven't fallen into any open holes on the sidewalks and roads lately. Those I scan for ahead some distance and take note of. Twice was enough. OUCH!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
#4. Doorways:
.....Those 'older buildings' may be 300 to 500 years old and the street has 'risen' with time, while the inside of the house hasn't. Sometimes, that can happen quickly in 'earthquake country'. There are many old buildings where the first floor is now the 'basement', especially in Mexico City, since the 'big one'.
There is also a different approach to 'thresholds' in Mexico; you'll have to step up and over. It keeps rain and street debris outside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen handicap ramps that ought to provide chairs and sell tickets for the opportunity to see if anyone can complete the "ride".

Apart from sliding over wet ceramic tiled garage entries I have been on the lookout for handles in access panels in the sidewalk - nice U shaped metal handles about the size of a slipper.

Still there is a lot of ingenuity as well - check out how many concrete bases for light poles have been formed in a Rubbermaid garbage bucket.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Sidewalks are very narrow and electric meters stick out over the sidewalk. Since I have no peripheral vision on the right, and little straight ahead vision in that eye, I frequently walk right into those meters. It hurts!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Narrow sidewalks

Sidewalks are very narrow and electric meters stick out over the sidewalk. Since I have no peripheral vision on the right, and little straight ahead vision in that eye, I frequently walk right into those meters. It hurts!
It is amazing to me that some property owners are allowed to build their block walls or buildings half way out onto were the obvious sidewalk should be and the municipality allows them to keep it were the sidewalk instead of being 2 meters wide all of a sudden becomes 1 meter wide. My wife parent's house in SLP has all sorts of wild construction there as it is a very old colonia popular starting to be built about 150 years ago including very large old trees in the street blocking one lane or a 3 foot high tree stump 4 or 5 feet across. They have many houses in back lanes were the lot was divided and these lanes have no parking but people park anyway and block all traffic so you have to back out when leaving your property all the way to the street. Most of the walls and fences are right at the lane. I haven't seen may electric meters jutting out except the 10 inches they are but do see water meters and gas meters hanging out onto the narrow sidewalks farther down low sometimes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if licensing were improved how quickly you'd see growing middle class and better construction details. Unlicensed electricians scare the heck out of me! You can earn more as a chauffeur than as an electrician in Veracruz.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Headscratcher #8

I have no problems living here in MX, but some things I see here still make me scratch my head and wonder. Such as:
#8. Why don't Mexicans ever remove the manufacturers' stickers from ceramic toilets and sinks, or stainless steel sinks?

#9. In buses, single riders always take an aisle seat. When you want that empty seat next to the window, they NEVER stand up to let you in, but turn their knees a couple of degrees to the side, forcing you to squeeze by. This also raises a question of bus etiquette: When you squeeze by, should you show your fellow passenger your crotch or your behind? I usually favour the latter.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts

#8. Why don't Mexicans ever remove the manufacturers' stickers from ceramic toilets and sinks, or stainless steel sinks?

#9. In buses, single riders always take an aisle seat. When you want that empty seat next to the window, they NEVER stand up to let you in, but turn their knees a couple of degrees to the side, forcing you to squeeze by. This also raises a question of bus etiquette: When you squeeze by, should you show your fellow passenger your crotch or your behind? I usually favour the latter.
Woman do not want a man sitting beside them because the seats are tight and slipper and when the driver drives fast then the man will be touching their thighs even more especially if everyone is over weight. If you are a woman they will allow you the window seat when you ask for it. If you are a man they will not, simple.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I wonder if licensing were improved how quickly you'd see growing middle class and better construction details. Unlicensed electricians scare the heck out of me! You can earn more as a chauffeur than as an electrician in Veracruz.
Not that this is relevant: I was a building manager in a northern Florida city, on the coast that has a football team named after a large feline, (I don't want to slander the city). Anyway, while I was there it seemed that the guy with the largest hammer was also the "foreman", "supervisor", and what not. I came from NYC where unions made sure of competence. What you describe takes me back to those days in Florida.

:focus:

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,070 Posts
Woman do not want a man sitting beside them because the seats are tight and slipper and when the driver drives fast then the man will be touching their thighs even more especially if everyone is over weight. If you are a woman they will allow you the window seat when you ask for it. If you are a man they will not, simple.
My experience does not confirm that. I have never been refused permission to get past someone to a window seat. And I am male.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.