Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our television is brand new and its Sony LED HDTV 1080p... I know that we will need a power adapter for v120 to v220 but will tv that came with dtv (TDT) itself work okay in Portugal, Azores ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello ? Can you help me out ? I am talking about NTSC to PAL.. Maybe NTSC to PAL video converter ? I need to know the name of it so I can look up at Amazon site.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Ask Sony, to technical for me Wiki says N America uses NTSC Europe uses PAL but whether you can use a US Sony TV in Portugal not a clue, but I believe apart from voltage then you need a European set top tuner as it's the TV tuner that is the issue not NTSC v PAL

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah.. I will have to call them. I hate that. I hope that here will help but I guess that I have no choice. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally you might be disappointed.

The TV is unlikely to work in Europe.

Yes, you could potentially watch via a satellite box, but you will not pick anything up via an aerial

How to use US televisions and DVD players in the UK is relevant to the UK - but some of it will apply to Portugal.

I would consider buying a new one over here.
Hi.

I just bought a brand new 50 inches Sony TV about two months ago or something like that .. that was on sale. Very affordable!

Anyway, I am not into cable/satellite tv at all. I am not tv person as well. Maybe I can use it to watch TDT with it, perhaps ? As he said.. call Sony and found out. :)

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
You'll need a set top box to watch any TV of any description it's the built in tuner that won't work here or the Azores so you must have an external source, consider warranty which will also be useless to you here quite a risk when you consider that perhaps your TV might suffer in transit, in US it has a value here zero

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!

I just found out about my two LED tvs -- 50 inches and 40 inches of 2013.

Those tv in the back with labels show: 110v - 240v and 50-60hz.. Does that mean I can bring it to Azores/Portugal ?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The power labels say they should be fine you now need to check PAL v NTSC as you've been advised before check with manufacturer which I think you said was Samsung

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Then check with Sony that it is compatible with European broadcast standards, it's no good if you can plug it in and power is ok if TV can't actually accept and use the European standard of signals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts