Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We live in France in the south-west and we have an HD ready television purchased here, and two digi boxes; a Strong for the French channels and Sky for the English ones. My question is do we need to purchase two new digi boxes to enable us to receive HD?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone,

We live in France in the south-west and we have an HD ready television purchased here, and two digi boxes; a Strong for the French channels and Sky for the English ones. My question is do we need to purchase two new digi boxes to enable us to receive HD?
Hi,
whilst I do not live in France ...YET! We purchased a HD ready T.V and we also purchase SKY, we did take out the HD package with SKY however, I do know many other channels are now starting to offer many programmes in HD (via UK freeview digi box) With sky they offer channels both in 'normal' viewing and some channels with choice of viewing in HD, therefore if you have an HD ready T.V I think you should be able to view any of the HD channels via Sky. Sorry cannot help regarding the French channels.

Hope this is of some help :rolleyes:
Angela

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, tagging on to the last question...we have HD ready TV with a sky box, do we need a different arial to get HD on the "free" HD channels? We live in the Vendee, how do we know if there is HD reception in this area?? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, tagging on to the last question...we have HD ready TV with a sky box, do we need a different arial to get HD on the "free" HD channels? We live in the Vendee, how do we know if there is HD reception in this area?? Thanks for any help.
Hi Maria,

I can only inform you of the package we use, I have sky HD package and therefore all the channels which have their programmes offered in HD, for example some BBC channels offer some of their programmes in HD and many other channels, we view ALL of our T.V programmes via our SKY box and therefore only use the ariels from T.V to Sky box, so not sure of what ariels you may need.

Hope this make some kind of sense to you, I am certainly not experienced in technology (I struggle with mobile phones :confused:) but can only explain what we have at home!

Good luck finding the HD channels!
Angela

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Angela, thanks for ur reply, yeah I think I understand but we cant have a sky package out here only the freeview channels, but hey thats ok, I was just wondering if we needed a different ariel for HD.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi,
To receive Sky HD you have to pay a subscription and have an HD box, you don't need a special ariel. The best way to get HD programmes in France is to buy a "FreeSat from BBC" HD box ( NO subscription, NO card,NO phoning to initiate---available from all big UK retailers, standard version about £140, Hard drive recorder -equivalent of sky +- about £260).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi thanks for that, do we just plug into the TV like the sky box? Do you have this hard-drive version? We dont need to plug into a phone line to record the programmes then?? Sorry for all the questions....Cheers
Maria

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi thanks for that, do we just plug into the TV like the sky box? Do you have this hard-drive version? We dont need to plug into a phone line to record the programmes then?? Sorry for all the questions....Cheers
Maria
Hi,
Yes, you buy your box ,connect it to your existing Sky dish (no need to adjust it),
plug in and follow the start-up instructions.(To get the full capabilties you need a double , or multiple head LNB and two ariel leads to the box) You will be asked to put in your post-code --but this is only so the box can link to your local stations--(put in your last UK post-code)
You don't have to link to a phoneline, or have a card, to record .
I have had the hard-drive PVR box for about a year now, and am extremely happy with it. You can do more than just record TV; you can store music , photos and your own self made videos.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You don't have to link to a phoneline, or have a card, to record.
If you have a Sky HD box bought outright or out of minimum subscription period (1 year), then you don't need a UK landline connection. But if you want multiple Sky HD reception and don't want to fork out another full HD subscription, you need to have Sky Multiroom and phone connection for each box is compulsory. And yes, Sky do check regularly to ensure that phone connection is intact.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you have a Sky HD box bought outright or out of minimum subscription period (1 year), then you don't need a UK landline connection. But if you want multiple Sky HD reception and don't want to fork out another full HD subscription, you need to have Sky Multiroom and phone connection for each box is compulsory. And yes, Sky do check regularly to ensure that phone connection is intact.
Hi,
Just to clarify, I was talking about setting up a "FreeSat from BBC/ITV" box--nothing to do with Sky TV, except it uses the same signal so you can connect direct to your old Sky dish.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks a lot for that, we're going back to England this weekend so will look into this, the only thing is I'm wondering if the Vendee is set up for HD, any idea how to find out??
Cheers for all your help. Maria

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.