Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Frenz,
We are in serious dilemma and need your guidance in sorting the situation.
Got PR in April 2013 and visa validation done in July 2013.
Expecting our first child in June 2014.The question is should we have the baby in Australia so that he gets entitled for citizenship or wait for his birth in India and apply for child visa and then move.
Currently don't have a job in hand in Aus.That means if we move first target would be to get a job and look after my pregnant wife.Also I fear if we move in next 3 months whether we will get all her medical card arranged.

Visa processing time from India is too high(14 months).That in turn delay ur travel to Australia for appx 1 yr.

Kindly advise on my situation.Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
965 Posts
better is move by Jan. look for a job along with your wife and arrange her medicals if you are interested about your childs citizenship

otherwise, you would need to wait till June 2015 to go. but given that tight timelines, unless u stay for 2 out of 5 years you can renew your visa ( Resident Return Visa)

so plan it and work it out accordingly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi

First of all, congratulations. Don't call it a dilemma, it is beautiful to parent a child. There is a solution to almost everything in this world.

You have three options:

1. move now, look for a job, once you find something, get accommodation, come back and get your wife, once the bubs is born, call someone form your home country so they can take care of teh baby and the mum.

2. wait for the baby to be born, apply for the visa, wait for teh grant and then move, since you already validated, you have 5 years to move

3. Have the baby, wait for a couple of months, apply for baby's visa, while waiting get a tourist visa for the baby and move, inform the CO, they will give you a pre grant and ask you to go offshore for granting the baby visa, go for a holiday, get the visa and come back, but till then the baby will be on insurance and not medicare.

As for getting medicare card etc, it takes 5 mins to get one if you have PR and hospital system here, I have just had a baby 23 days back, and I can vouch for it. they are wonderful and take good care of you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot anj1976 for your guidance.Yes you are right its a beautiful feeling to be a parent.So just to clarify if we have PR we can get Medical card easily.I guess that would require an address there.

Thanks once again all of you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
ofcourse you can, just need address proof, go to centrelink/medicare office and they do the needful in no time. you will get a temp card and in a few weeks the card will come to your address by post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Anj1976,

Is option 3 really feasible even if we are not working in Australia and want to migrate post our child birth.Is Tourist visa granted to the baby post child visa filing.
How successful are such cases.If thats a workable option we would prefer that.

Your thoughts please..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Yes a lot of people do that, just that it costs more, the visa cost plus the cost of going out for grant plus insurance cost...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Anj1976,

Thats very imformative.Just wondering about baby's vaccination.Are they expensive or will be covered in insurance.Kindly share.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
covered by medicare

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for confirmation...You mean medicare on tourist visa.We are evaluatinh option 3 as suggested by you.Kindly confirm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am in a situation and very much confused..I got invitation to apply for visa a week ago and I am expecting my delivery in end of December (same time invitation gonna expire). what I should do now? should I go through medicals and leave X-Ray. Want to apply before December as usually rules are changed in new year.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
No medicare is only for PR or citizens. On tourist visa you have to get insurance and come and the vaccines are not included in that. The vaccines here are expensive and so is the doctor fee. One time the GP might charge you about 60-100$ depending on the doctor you go to which might be covered in insurance but again, depends on what insurance you take and come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts