Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am hoping desperately that someone can help me answer some of these questions:

Background:

I am 17 weeks pregnant and we are planning on going to Nice to have our baby. I have American nationality and my husband is of French nationality and the reason that we want to deliver there is because my husband wants to ensure that the baby will have French citizenship.

I just wanted to ask that if you could share any information you find out about the following it would be very helpful:

1. Hospitals and doctors in Nice (preferably English speaking as my French is very basic) - and also any input on whether public or private hospitals are suggested? Our house is in Vallouris but we also have an apartment in Nice where we can move to closer to the due date of the baby (August 15th)

2. Cost of having the baby in Nice with and without health insurance

3. How does registering the baby's birth work? Do we have to have any previous paperwork for this? I know that for us to get married, I need an apostilled version of my birth certificate which is suprisingly complicated and time consuming to get...

4. How soon before I get there do I need to start speaking to a doctor in France? I would love to involve a doctor from there from now, so that he/she is also tracking the pregnancy from there, and making sure that I have all the required tests and documentation... Just waiting for recommendations :)

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

Kind regards,

Manisha

·
Administrator
49,106 Posts
I am 17 weeks pregnant and am also planning on going to Nice to have our baby. I have American nationality and my husband is of French nationality and the reason that we want to deliver there is because my husband wants to ensure that the baby will have French citizenship.

I just wanted to ask that if you could share any information you find out about the following it would be very helpful:

1. Hospitals and doctors in Nice (preferably English speaking as my French is very basic)
2. Cost of having the baby in Nice with and without health insurance
3. How does registering the baby's birth work? Do we have to have any previous paperwork for this? I know that for us to get married, I need an apostilled version of my birth certificate which is suprisingly complicated and time consuming to get...
Hi Manisha,
You may want to show your husband this page from the Service Public website: Nationalité française : enfant dont l'1 ou les 2 parents sont Français - Service-public.fr

It's not necessary for the baby to be born in France for him or her to have French nationality from birth.

Unless there is an American or British hospital in Nice, I wouldn't guarantee that you'll find one where a large portion of the staff can (or will) speak English. There is the American Hospital in Paris, if you want to go that route - but the American Hospital is known for being somewhat more expensive than regular French hospitals, and most insurers require pre-approval before they'll cover treatment there.

Registering the baby's birth consists of registering him or her with the local mairie - usually handled with or through the hospital. If the baby is born outside France, you simply register the birth with the French consulate - and in that instance, the important documents to bring with are those proving the French nationality of one of the parents. (Carte d'identité for your husband.)

The French are rather proud of their pre-natal care, and could well require that you register with an obstetrician in France well in advance of the birth, so that you can receive the appropriate level of care. Contacting an OB in Nice now might well answer many of your questions.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi

Answer to questions

- in Nice the best hospital is centre hospitalier universitaire CHU, see link CHU de Nice
It is really the best and safest offer. When private clinics have complicated deliveries, they refer the mother / child to this maternity. You can hire the head of maternity (A University Professor in Obstetrics) or his deputy, on a private consultation basis for your convenience, if you experience difficulties in finding an obstetrician. You pay additional charges that are not outrageous.

- delivery cost is FOC (free of charge) with insurance, slighter different without medical insurance between 3 to 5 000 euros. More if complications.

- A child born from a French parent can be registered at the French consulate outside France. A child born in France is registered at the hospital/clinic after a few minutes or so as it is compulsory for the child to have a name (just in case something goes wrong). An Officer of the local city council will come to the maternity, collect all new birth declaration, and you'll get the birth certificate before you live the maternity (48 hours). Not being French does change a iota.

- how soon? the sooner the better since some airlines are reluctant to carry pregnant passengers. Bear in mind that best doctors have waiting lists or refuse patients like everywhere in a capitalist world. The idea is to secure the best by contacting him or her with a letter/fax/email asking for a pregnancy follow-up and if need be delivery services. In this case, the Doctor will refer you to his/her favorite clinic or hospital where he performs deliveries. Private clinic are fashionable in Southern France (private sector are preferred by richer people who do nbot want to mingle with the masses) but as earlier said all complicated delivery cases are referred to the CHU which remains a guarantee of highest medical standard. Not hospitality: you might not find a single room there 'though, even if you book ahead.

Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Manisha, just posted a reply to your question on another thread. to reiterate I would not move to France for just a couple of months to give birth. i found that the pregnancy and delivery is stressful enough.

·
Registered
594 Posts
mixed feelings

Considering my point number 3, I would probably give the same advice.

But we did the complete opposite : my wife came all the way from South Africa to give birth to our 2nd child in order to avoid a second cesaerian section in Sandton. The baby was born the natural way in France (in Dijon in fact).

If is only of the legal issue (as you explained) , liaise with your local consulate to ascertain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
But we did the complete opposite : my wife came all the way from South Africa to give birth to our 2nd child in order to avoid a second cesaerian section in Sandton. The baby was born the natural way in France (in Dijon in fact).
you must have found a great hospital that would let you do it. to my knowledge VBAC is a rare occurrence in france

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.