Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

we will move to Dubai end of July for 9 month for business reasons (husband) and we are coming as a growing family (1 Toddler 2 1/2 years, baby due to end of November). As we have never been in Dubai before I would appreciate some recommendations in general as well as good hospitals for the delivery, which I will contact for details once we are in Dubai.

We will live in Al Barsha area in a serviced hotel appartment and will keep our swiss health insurance, they will cover the pregnancy eyamonations as well as the delivery at a public or private hospital of my choice in Dubai.

Is there anything I should take into consideration concerning the birth preparartion, delivery and aftercare which could be different in Dubai (I got my first baby in Switzerland)?

All experiances and recommendations are welcome! Thanks
Montreux

·
Registered
880 Posts
We had ours in the Mediclinic City Hospital and we were quite happy with the doctors, nurses, delivery and the service.

Our friends had their baby in the American Hospital and they were also very happy with their experience.

You can do tours of the rooms and facilities for most of the hospitals. My wife went around and looked at both hospitals listed above and decided on City but that was probably also because her Ob Gyn doctor was in City so we decided to deliver there because she wanted a specific doctor in City.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
City Hospital and Medcare at Safa Park are both hugely popular. Remember, however, that many gynaes do not practice at the hospitals they deliver at. You need to be looking for a good gynae first and foremost. The gynae will tell you their preferred hospital generally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far for the replies!

Any suggestions how to find a good gynae in Dubai? I thought there will be only the possibility to see a gynae in a hospital, as they all offer prenatal examinaten packages (scans, ultrasounds etc.)? Was not aware that they also practice outside hospitals...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Thanks so far for the replies! Any suggestions how to find a good gynae in Dubai? I thought there will be only the possibility to see a gynae in a hospital, as they all offer prenatal examinaten packages (scans, ultrasounds etc.)? Was not aware that they also practice outside hospitals...
Very much so. There have been numerous threads on this subject. I will kick off with one recommendation - Getrud Koster. My suggestion is do your homework. Choose your gynae and then the gynae will help you sort where you deliver. Be aware, for some reason here, most women seem to opt for C-sections to deliver.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
We had ours at Al Zahra Hospital in Al Barsha, as did our friends. We were both really happy with the service and care, plus the hospital is usually fairly empty so you get the full focus of all the nurses on the ward.

We also both used Dr Lina at Emirates Hospital's Marina branch, and both deliveries were c-sections (ours was medically required for sure). Again, I'd recommend. She can be a bit abrupt sometimes, but when it came to the delivery, she definitely made us feel like we were in safe hands and had the full medical team under clear instruction during the delivery.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We went through Dr. Oksuz at Healthbay Polyclinic and the delivery was at American Hospital.

Would definitely recommend Dr. Oksuz, she was great and with us through every step, right up until the 4:00 am delivery.

It was our first child, so I have nothing to compare it against but chat amongst other parents, but American Hospital appears extortionately expensive compared to some of the other hospitals for a similar level of service. If you're all covered under insurance though that shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's a first world country. IMO, anywhere will do. From Belhoul (cheap) up to American Hospital (not cheap), all are fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for your experiances so far, honestly if I compare the costs I have seen so far on a couple of websites from hospitals it seams quite reasonable to me, compared to what we payed in Switzerland for a c-section delivery (medical reasons) in a private hospital!

We payed arround 18.000 CHF/71.000AED for standard c-section (plus 1 extra day in hospital) without having big compliations (but we got allmost everything reimboursed by our health insurance) and they confirmed me that they will cover up to 67.000 CHF/265.000 AED for a delivery in a private hospital in Dubai, so I dont think this should be the big issue (or am I maybe naive?). F.e. on the webside of American hospital they offer the (most expansive) c-section package for 23.000 AED (assuming there are no complications), can I rely on this infos and do I have to decide/pay for that package when I am registering myself there for the delivery?

Is it obligatory to have a gynae outside the hospital to come and deliver at one of the private hopitals or can I make also appointments for the normal prenatal examinations in a hospital with a doctor there? Just asking, as we will be in Dubai only for 9 month so I only need a doctor to follow the pregnancy and delivery...Are the private gynae are very busy or is it not so difficult to get a first appointment as a new patient? Thanks!
Montreux

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure your married with all the correct documents already in place
thanks for the info, I have heard about that, in our case it is not a problem as we are married since 2002 and have all necessary documents (like marriage certificate) translated in english and attested by ministry of foreign affairs/Dubai embassy in Germany.

Montreux

·
Registered
880 Posts
We payed arround 18.000 CHF/71.000AED for standard c-section
Yikes! That's an expensive delivery.

Sound like you'll be covered to go to pretty much any hospital you want.

You don't have to have an outside gyn if you don't want. There are hospitals who have their own doctors and then there are smaller private clinics with doctors who usually have a deal with one of the hospitals for deliveries. That's why it's to simply find a gyn you are comfortable with and go from there.

Appointments depend on the doctor of course - the doctor we wanted to go with at City was booked for the first few months so we 'tried' a few other doctors but ended up going with the one we wanted.

Just make sure you have pre-approvals from your insurance company and all the documents sorted. You can get all the information once you get here. Either take someone's recommendation here and visit a recommended gyn or just go to a few of the hospitals and ask them for the tour of the facilities.

A standard delivery is about 10-15k in both City and American if I remember correctly and a c-section was around 20-25k. I wouldn't worry about it too much ... they have everything here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of documents do we need beside the marriage certificate, Passport and valid visa?

City Hospital told me that they would deal with our insurance directly to make sure the delivery is covered, will have a look at their maternity packages as well.

Montreux

·
Banned
913 Posts

A standard delivery is about 10-15k in both City and American if I remember correctly and a c-section was around 20-25k. I wouldn't worry about it too much ... they have everything here.
Wait it cost money to have a baby here? I have never heard of this before. Gonna have to wrap up the fella abit longer then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Welcome to swiss prices and fees :D Pritty normal here, I don´t know anything which is cheap, read today that Geneva (where we live) is under the 5 most expensive places/cities to live in the world...and I agree!

So therefor it is a good deal for our health insurance that I will have the baby in Dubai instead of Switzerland ;)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
You'll need, if I'm not mistaken, Emirates ID and residency to deliver here. From your insurers, you'll need pre-approval.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you think the time from arrival end of July until lets say mid/end November (due date) is enough to arrange these documents?

Our employer will take care of all the paperwork and we are already in the application process for a working and residency visa (sponsored for me and our daughter through my husband) now to make sure we can move end of July. So working visa and residency visa should be issued for all of us during August hopefully?!

I have already an email confirmation that the insurance will cover my delivery in dubai in the general or private hospital up to ca. 265.000 AED, is it that what you mean with pre-approval? T
the other way I know so fa to handle it I suppose is (so it was the case in Switzerland), the hospital contacts the insurance before the delivery and ask for a guaranted coverage for the cost of the delivery and the insurer gives a confirmation / pre-approval - right?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I am in the medical field. My recommendation is you go back Germany and deliver there then return to Dubai.
if I was OP, your post would scare the hell out of me. I'm not in the medical profession, but I've had two major operations here and can honestly say I would not have received better treatment anywhere else. OP, normally if someone is pregnant and not far from delivery, most of us recommend staying home, having the baby and arriving afterwards. That's generally because they won't have such good medical cover as yours. Personally speaking, I don't think it's a bad idea if you can do it. Even down to the practicality of getting the baby a passport, it will make life easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts