Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice on having a baby in the UK v having a baby in Australia. My partner is a citizen of (born in) the UK, and I am Australian. We will be getting married soon and currently deciding whether to settle and have a child in Australia or the UK. If I went back to the UK, I'd be going on a spouse visa.

A couple of questions:

1. Would our child automatically get citizenship rights to both countries no matter where it was born? I've seen some varying answers to this.

2. Can anyone offer any comparisons between Australia and Scotland in terms of overall cost, the public and private hospital systems, fertility assistance options, or any other benefits - or things to be aware of - in having a baby in either country?

At this stage we would be happy to live in either country once married, so we are just weighing up which would be best for us at this stage in our lives.

I'd love to hear from any mums (or dads!) out there that can offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 By being born in UK, the child will be British otherwise than by descent with transmissible nationality. If the birth is in Australia, the child will be British by descent and can't normally transmit citizenship to any child born outside UK. In either case, the child will be Australian too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice on having a baby in the UK v having a baby in Australia. My partner is a citizen of (born in) the UK, and I am Australian. We will be getting married soon and currently deciding whether to settle and have a child in Australia or the UK. If I went back to the UK, I'd be going on a spouse visa.
If your partner is planning to give birth in the UK, I would suggest her to go and give birth in Northern Ireland. The child, born in Northern Ireland with a British Citizen parent, will also get Irish citizenship. As Ireland is staying in the EU, the child will therefore enjoy freedom of movement in the EU. Another advantage of Irish Citizenship is that under current rules, Irish citizenship can be pass further down the generations than British Citizenship.

Another point is that as Northern Ireland is part of the UK, your partner (a British Citizen) will be entitle to use the NHS service in Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#1 By being born in UK, the child will be British otherwise than by descent with transmissible nationality. If the birth is in Australia, the child will be British by descent and can't normally transmit citizenship to any child born outside UK. In either case, the child will be Australian too.
Thanks Joppa - so to confirm I understand this correctly...

As I (the mother) am Australian, the child will be entitled to Australian citizenship no matter whether it is born in Australia or the UK?
- Will he/she be be able to pass on his/her Australian citizenship to his/her children?

If the child is born in the UK, it will be British (otherwise than by descent) with dual nationality as an Australian) and can pass both his/her dual nationality onto his/her children.
- Would it just be a matter of getting the child an Australian passport at an embassy in the UK in this case?

If the child is born in Australia, the child will be British (by descent) - with dual nationality as an Australian, and cannot pass on his/her British nationality unless his/her child is born in the UK.
- Would it just be a matter of getting the child a UK passport at an embassy in Australia in this case?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes.
The child will be Australian no matter where he/she is born. Yes, register birth first. Then, just apply for Australian and British passports as they are dual-national from birth. While the fact the child is British by descent isn't documented, the circumstances of birth will make it clear which will affect whether any children they will have will be British or not. Australia makes no such distinction. So in the long run, giving birth in UK has distinct advantages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.