Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice on having a baby in Australia v having a baby in the UK. My partner is a citizen of (born in) the UK, and I am Australian. We will be getting married soon and currently deciding whether to settle and have a child in Australia or the UK. If I went back to the UK, I'd be going on a spouse visa.

A couple of questions:

1. Would our child automatically get citizenship rights to both countries no matter where it was born? I've seen some varying answers to this.

2. Can anyone offer any comparisons between Australia and Scotland in terms of overall cost, the public and private hospital systems, fertility assistance options, or any other benefits - or things to be aware of - in having a baby in either country?

At this stage we would be happy to live in either country once married, so we are just weighing up which would be best for us at this stage in our lives.

I'd love to hear from any mums (or dads!) out there that can offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23,877 Posts
Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice on having a baby in Australia v having a baby in the UK. My partner is a citizen of (born in) the UK, and I am Australian. We will be getting married soon and currently deciding whether to settle and have a child in Australia or the UK. If I went back to the UK, I'd be going on a spouse visa.

A couple of questions:

1. Would our child automatically get citizenship rights to both countries no matter where it was born? I've seen some varying answers to this.

2. Can anyone offer any comparisons between Australia and Scotland in terms of overall cost, the public and private hospital systems, fertility assistance options, or any other benefits - or things to be aware of - in having a baby in either country?

At this stage we would be happy to live in either country once married, so we are just weighing up which would be best for us at this stage in our lives.

I'd love to hear from any mums (or dads!) out there that can offer any advice.

Thanks in advance!
Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth. ... Most children born outside Australia to permanent resident parents will need to apply for a Child (subclass 101) visa

Documents required for registering a child as a British Citizen

Children born in UK

Completed MN1 application form including two referees
Proof one parent is either is British or has indefinite leave to remain
Full UK Birth certificate showing both parents names
Parent’s passports

I dont know why you have confusion regarding citizenship

In Uk/AUS, whichever country he is born, the child has that countries citizenship without any doubt

If you want vice versa then its another matter and has to be examined again

No idea about better medical facilities

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts