Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am an American applied for a long stay student visa back in June (a month ago at the French consulate). I have yet to hear anything back. I called the consulate, but they were unhelpful. They explained they don't give status updates when I asked if it was possible I have been mailed back my passport. My tracking number shows nothing. I'm getting worried as I start the program in a month and still have yet to buy my flight ticket. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I think you may have run into the infamous French holidays. Like most consulates, the people at the French consulate get both US and French holidays, plus the consulate people each get a month off in the summer, usually to return back home to France. You've hit the consulate at its most sparsely staffed time of year.

Assuming you indicated your desired departure date on your application, I think you may just have to wait. From all reports, the consulate does manage in most cases to get back to you, even if just in the knick of time. You may want to go ahead and buy your flight ticket, but one you can change (for a fee). Chances are, they'll get back to you but the timing may be tight.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Which consulate did you file at?

Hello.

I am an American applied for a long stay student visa back in June (a month ago at the French consulate). I have yet to hear anything back. I called the consulate, but they were unhelpful. They explained they don't give status updates when I asked if it was possible I have been mailed back my passport. My tracking number shows nothing. I'm getting worried as I start the program in a month and still have yet to buy my flight ticket. Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

If you YELP the consulate you filed at you'll get a good indication of processing time.

I filed at the San Fran consulate at it took 10 calendar days from the time I walked my passport into the consulate until the time it was mailed backed to me.

If you find its been way too long, you need to be a bit forceful with them in the emails. I'm sure they get lots of emails from over eager people but if your situation is an exception they should deal with it.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Raria, I thought you were getting a work visa. Believe me, it depends quite a bit on the type of visa you're requesting as to how receptive the consulate is to queries or prodding.

I seem to have missed the part on the original post saying that the OP has had his passport returned to him. Was there any letter or explanation included with the return of the passport? Normally, if the passport was returned, it should have had the visa in the passport - or some notification of refusal regarding the visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Raria, I thought you were getting a work visa. Believe me, it depends quite a bit on the type of visa you're requesting as to how receptive the consulate is to queries or prodding.
Some of my students are coming with me and the student visa which the OP is applying took the same time as mine.

If you read the YELP reviews, you'll see the variability is due more to the consulates. The OP never said what consulate he was applying to.

I seem to have missed the part on the original post saying that the OP has had his passport returned to him. Was there any letter or explanation included with the return of the passport? Normally, if the passport was returned, it should have had the visa in the passport - or some notification of refusal regarding the visa.
I was referring to my experience. The OP is still waiting a month after he filed for his visa. Mine and my students were returned within 10 days. We filed in SF.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I was referring to my experience. The OP is still waiting a month after he filed for his visa. Mine and my students were returned within 10 days. We filed in SF.
Were the students' passports returned to them with the visas in them? I got the impression that the OP had had his visa returned to him, but I see on re-reading (again) that the way the statement is phrased is not clear.

As you note, too, which consulate you go through can have a big influence - as well as having applied for the visas together as part of a program of some sort. And the summer holiday season definitely influences the turn around time. All Consulates are short staffed from mid-June through the end of August (including, as I find out, the US Consulate in Paris). Things go more slowly in the summer in just about all administrations.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were the students' passports returned to them with the visas in them? I got the impression that the OP had had his visa returned to him, but I see on re-reading (again) that the way the statement is phrased is not clear.

As you note, too, which consulate you go through can have a big influence - as well as having applied for the visas together as part of a program of some sort. And the summer holiday season definitely influences the turn around time. All Consulates are short staffed from mid-June through the end of August (including, as I find out, the US Consulate in Paris). Things go more slowly in the summer in just about all administrations.
Cheers,
Bev
To clarify my post: the consulate had my passport (you drop off at consulate when applying for visa). They mail back passport and that's when I find out if they issued or not. This morning I just got an update that the are mailing back my passport. I will find out next week if they accepted or not.
I was getting worried because this was taking longer than the last time I applied for a visa (a few years ago)

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Thanks for the clarification - I should explain that I often go through the forum late at night, and sometimes nothing makes sense until I see it again the next day or a few days later.

How long these things take can be a function of any number of factors, including time of the year, staffing situation of the specific consulate and how many applications they are handling. Sounds like you'll find out soon, at any rate. Hope it turns out the way you want it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
waiting12345, I hate to ask....did you get it?

The last time I got a visa I had to wait almost three weeks. :( My consulate's website says about three different things as far as expected wait time, although of course they insist that we must NOT contact them prior to the expected wait time (whatever that actually is)....frustrated, I gave up and dared to email them after the two week mark and just politely mentioned that my dang appt was three weeks ago and I haven't seen anything so perhaps something is wrong with my postal office....haha...two days later, my passport/visa was in the mail. And had only been stamped/completed the day after I emailed them. I'm guessing now it was probably sitting on someone's desk collecting dust....turning me into a bundle of wretched nerves and stress. So yes, a kick in the arse is helpful to them sometimes apparently, even if they never ever ever want you to kick them in the arse...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts