Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you come to Spain in the last year and found work?

If you have could you tell us the geographical area and what kind of work? It's good to know where they're taking on people and what kind of work you can expect to find.
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Work

I moved to Spain September 2011 and thus far have had 5 weeks temporary work in Iceland, San Javier up until Christmas period. Astounded how many people handed cvs in on a daily basis. Permanent job is like waiting for dead men's shoes. Nothing since.:(

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
We keep getting approached to give English lessons, conversational and grammatical, however we always try to decline, mainly because neither of us are English teachers, plus we are retired and don't need to work.

The last was a young lady who is studying law in Madrid, not wanting to disappoint, we spent time with her in a bar just chatting in English, and she would have been prepared to pay for this.

This week we were asked by the Tourist information office, to check translations from Spanish to English, we did this for free.

We have also been approached by the Bus and Taxi Co-Op, to assist in giving classes to the drivers in basic English, mainly for the correct pronunciation, we shall not accept payment for this.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for a self employed English teacher, a brave one!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I was in Spain for 3 years before I got work. Admittedly, I wasnt looking desperately, because of childcare and school runs, my husband was commuting which covered our finances. However, I finally found a job in a friends cafe (200€ a month for full time work), but this was on the black/cash in hand and he eventually had to close up.
We then moved down to the coast, Benalmadena and I found there was a fair bit of work on the costas doing commission only telesales, I seemed to do fairly well at it, but it was horrendous. I worked for three different companies and the last two actually put me on a contract and gave me a small basic + commission. They were selling time share, in the guise of cheap holidays to Brits over the phone. The first one (a well known timeshare company) was very high pressured and if you didnt hit your target in the first month tho you were out - it was so strict, every call was monitored and you actually had to stand up when you spoke to customers and read exactly from a script!! Looking back, I dont know how or why I did it. The second one was more laid back, altho the pressure to hit targets was all consuming

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I think the main focus should be on the kind of work ...the hours and the pay.
If you are single you could perhaps be satisfied with a low rate and longish hours. After all, if /when you've had enough you can move on. But if you are looking to bring a family over it's a wholly different ballgame.
And that's why we try to tell people this is not the time to relocate with your family if you need work to survive.
Working casually for a day or so a week will not bring in enough to pay the rent and if you are illegal you won't get health care or other benefits if you are in need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only jobs I see advertised locally are sales and marketing based, it looks like most are commission-heavy, ie little or no basic. I am sure some people make good money this way, and a portfolio of representation work - going out and meeting potential clients rather than pounding away at a phone - might be lucrative for the right person. But I think to get by in Spain as an expat currently, it's good if you can consult for clients overseas or somehow make your own work...

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Same job and location as Monkey Hangar but was taken back on after Xmas.
So, you are employed full time at Iceland??
Well done to you!:clap2:
Would you say pay and conditions are similar to the UK?

And do you know Monkey Hangers (OK, that's just being nosey, but I thought I'd ask!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, you are employed full time at Iceland??
Well done to you!:clap2:
Would you say pay and conditions are similar to the UK?

And do you know Monkey Hangers (OK, that's just being nosey, but I thought I'd ask!)
I wouldn't like to say anything about pay and conditions as I hadn't worked in the UK for six years, I was self employed in the US. If maz is who I think she is, yes she knows me ;)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I wouldn't like to quote on pay and conditions, if maz is who I think she is, then yes she knows me;)
I can quiote what I know, cos I'm not there LOL! I applied for a job at the Iceland in Fuengirola, if memory serves it was 99€ a week for full time (4 days a week???) - with a contract!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can quiote what I know, cos I'm not there LOL! I applied for a job at the Iceland in Fuengirola, if memory serves it was 99€ a week for full time (4 days a week???) - with a contract!!!!

Jo xxx
I wasn't actually being as indiscreet as to ask for actual amounts!! :eek:
I just wondered if it was comparable to the UK???

PS How can full time be 4 days a week?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I wasn't actually being as indiscreet as to ask for actual amounts!! :eek:
I just wondered if it was comparable to the UK???

PS How can full time be 4 days a week?
It depends on the amount of hours. The pay is less than Iceland the UK

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
There is a headlined piece in the Daily Mail about Spain's Ghost Towns.....it tells it like it is about the situation here.

·
Registered
558 Posts
This forum was in a vampire state for months and months i.e. half alive - half dead. Suddenly, there is a glut of people wanting to move to Spain and think that a job will be picked up shortly after touchdown at the airport. Many ask for advice but not as many heed it. They are chasing the dream and believe success is just around the corner.

Lately, I have never seen a day go by that I have not heard of somebody jumping ship and returning from whence they came. This is the reality of ex pats on the costas at the moment and will be for some time to come. Still the rush is on and every day some hairdresser, beautician, plasterer, brickie, chippy, painter, go-for, etc arrives and is going to change Spain for the better. Very few are listening to advice of people who know Spain and how it works or does not work as the case may be.

Some people have a Plan B ie. when all else fails they think they will survive doing unofficial airport runs or that every bar/restaurant is waiting to discover them. The reality is that I have a greater chance of winning the Miss Venezuela Pageant than they have of getting a decent job and I'm male and the wrong side of sixty.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
This forum was in a vampire state for months and months i.e. half alive - half dead. Suddenly, there is a glut of people wanting to move to Spain and think that a job will be picked up shortly after touchdown at the airport. Many ask for advice but not as many heed it. They are chasing the dream and believe success is just around the corner.

Lately, I have never seen a day go by that I have not heard of somebody jumping ship and returning from whence they came. This is the reality of ex pats on the costas at the moment and will be for some time to come. Still the rush is on and every day some hairdresser, beautician, plasterer, brickie, chippy, painter, go-for, etc arrives and is going to change Spain for the better. Very few are listening to advice of people who know Spain and how it works or does not work as the case may be.

Some people have a Plan B ie. when all else fails they think they will survive doing unofficial airport runs or that every bar/restaurant is waiting to discover them. The reality is that I have a greater chance of winning the Miss Venezuela Pageant than they have of getting a decent job and I'm male and the wrong side of sixty.

I often wonder why people think that Spain is the answer?? Why not Germany or France?? they're supposed to be relatively stable???

I guess its that wonderful summer holiday, the sunshine, the idea that everything is easy in Spain. the British news doesnt really mention spain and its problems very much. At the moment they're concentrating on Greece.

Spain isnt a British colony, it is Spain and it is a harsh country, its not easy and the winters are cold - the houses are cold, there is little in the way of insulation or heating and when it rains it floods. If things go wrong in Spain, there is no social housing available, no benefits, no child allowance and no nanny state. I have to say that prior to moving to Spain I was very disillusioned with the UK and thought Spain would be the answer. Well yes I loved it there, but my husband commuted and so we didnt have to worry about work. However, my children had to come back to the UK for their education and ultimately work. So we came back and I do now see that, for all the faults of the UK, it is a safe place to be.

jo xxx

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suddenly, there is a glut of people wanting to move to Spain and think that a job will be picked up shortly after touchdown at the airport. Many ask for advice but not as many heed it. They are chasing the dream and believe success is just around the corner.
Well fear not! The Daily Mail has picked up the story so perhaps it'll make breaking news in the UK and the islands will be informed!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts