Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Australian fiance will be arriving in the UK in December and we'll be getting married at the end of March 2014, whereupon we'll apply for the FLR(M) and he'll start job hunting.

My question is, what things can we organise before getting the FLR visa ? For example, can my fiance register with a GP, open a bank account or get a NI number ? Will he be liable to pay Council Tax ?

I'm not entirely sure what his residency status will be until he gets his FLR visa (and my bank, local council, GP practice and Job Centre Plus haven't got a clue either - I know this because I've spent most of today on the phone trying, unsuccessfully, to find out the answer to my queries ! :rolleyes2: )

I'd be very grateful for any info or advice about this (and any suggestions for other things we can get organised that I haven't thought of).

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Before marriage, he is on a limited leave as fiancé up to 6 months, so his condition is very much like that of a visitor. He will find difficult to register with GP (though some may allow it), open a bank account (in addition he needs proof of address like utility bill and often a proof of income like payslip), and to get national insurance number as he isn't yet allowed to work.
He will count towards council tax, and if you are getting a single household discount of 25%, that will end when you tell the council about him. While he may not need to register for council tax until marriage, getting a joint bill with his name on acts as a valuable proof of address.

Just concentrate on getting married - the most important day in your life - and then apply straightaway for FLR. You may like to book a premium same-day appointment for the first weekday following your wedding, or soon after. You can book up to 6 weeks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying Joppa !
It sounds like things like bank and GP may vary and we can only ask and see what happens, or wait until after we have the FLR visa.
The Council Tax is a bit confusing as I currently only pay a small amount as I receive disability benefits (income related ESA support group, housing benefit and council tax) and from what you say my fiance may not be liable to pay until after we are married or he has a FLR visa (have I got that right ?). I have been trying to find out if he counts as my partner, as well as being a second occupant, once he moves in with me, for the purpose of benefit payments, or whether that only applies once he gets the FLR visa. So far nobody that I've spoken to knows.

When I rang JobCentrePlus they told me that I couldn't even notify them on a change of circumstances until after the change has happened (ie my fiance has moved in) and they had no idea whether or not he being here on a fiance visa would mean his savings etc were relevant to my claim.

I thought that I was being efficient, trying to sort everything out in advance (not least so we can plan financially) but it doesn't seem to be that simple.. I'll keep trying though.

Thanks for the reminder about the 6 weeks window for booking a priority appointment - The first day I can book is now marked in red on my 'things to do' calendar !

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Until he is married and has switched to LTR as spouse, his status is that of a temporary resident so I'd imagine there is no absolute need to let them know.
Once he is on spouse leave, you must let the benefit office know about your husband, and that he is subject to immigration control with no recourse to public funds. You may have to complete a form. Then they will reassess your entitlement to benefits. His savings will be taken into account. When he starts working, again you have to notify them and they will re-calculate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for that - I'll try and find out (and will see if the description 'temporary resident' rings any bells with the JCP people). It'd be an unexpected bonus if I can keep the benefits for a few more months until we're married and fiance can look for work (I will lose them completely at some point due to his savings).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.