Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am currently living n London(Im from USA) with my french partner and we want to move to france in Jan 2013. I have a EEA residence card for the UK, but was wondering do i need a new visa when we move permanently to live and work etc. or can I use the eea residence card.

If anyone can help, please do send me a msg, thanks

Kind regards
Shanei

·
Administrator
50,056 Posts
My suspicion is that you're going to have to get a visa for France if you're planning to live and work there. There used to be an exemption for someone who had lived in another EU country for at least 5 years (legally and in good standing), but I'm having trouble finding any sort of reference to that on the Service Public website.

In any event, if you haven't been living in the UK for 5 years, you'll have to get a visa for France, particularly since your partner is a French national, and different laws apply when you're going to the country where your partner is a citizen (i.e. NOT the EU laws, but rather the country's own laws).

It may make things considerably easier for you to get an appropriate visa if you and your French partner either get married or get PACS'd. Getting married would make your visa pretty much a done deal. Getting PACS'd isn't quite as sure a deal, but they generally recognize the family relationship and grant the visa unless there is some real skeleton in your closet. It's possible to get PACS'd at the French consulate. You should probably contact them for the details if you're interested in going this route.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.