Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I find this totally offensive and quite pathetic. The PC brigade have finally taken over the Asylum. Gender Neutral.....what a purile "phrase" that has now become fashionable.

Lewes school bans skirts for 'gender neutral' uniform | Daily Mail Online
I'm always intrigued as to what people mean by the phrase 'political correctness'. I suspect most people themselves don't really have a clue.
To me it means in its basic sense good manners and courtesy towards others. Time was when it was acceptable to use terms like 'poof' '******' '****' 'yid' 'spaz' and so on and if PC means that we can no longer use them publicly, I'm all in favour of it.

And who are this 'PC brigade'???? Name names. I think we should be told:)

However....it does seem to me that we have become far too sensitive in many ways, although when I say we' of course that doesn't include all of us or the media. There is no right not to be offended or insulted. Threatening language and words which incite hatred or violence are righty condemned. Nobody has the right to shout 'Fire' in a crowded theatre.
But there should be no restriction on criticising religion or culture. I am an Islamophobe and also a Judeophobe and Christophobe when I come across extreme adherents of any of these religions or indeed any ideology. As such I strongly object to any attempt to stop me voicing my views. As the punishment for lesbianism under Sharia law is burial up to the neck and death by stoning I feel a mild objection might be in order....
I also feel that some sections of society, usually the middle class 'progressive' left, bend over backwards to protect Islam from any criticism whilst cheerfully saying or allowing to be said all sorts of unkind things about Christianity. People who complained about Charlie Hebdo's cartoons laughed at 'Life of Brian'. And some cultures are preferable to others in many ways.

As for the school thing....I couldn't give a damn. Nothing to do with anyone but the school and parents. Certainly nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. In any case the house journal of the progressive classes, The Guardian, yesterday did a fashion piece about how gender neutral fashion is the cri du jour on the catwalks these days, if you can afford Gucci or Prada. I've worn gender neutral clothing since I retired in 2005 after which I gave my skirted business suits and 'heels' to Dr Barnardo's charity shop. Since then I've lived mainly in Levis, I've got 'posh' ones for going out. Today I'm wearing Levi Bermuda shorts and a tshirt that used to belong to our vet's son so I'm very gender neutral, a true fashion icon...

So whatever this PC is meant to be, it doesn't bother me much. People can say what they like about my lifestyle (a boring one) , call me sinful , whatever. That's their right, to peacefully and politely express their opinions.
Hypocrisy upsets me more and there's a lot of that about.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
In the interests of equality shouldn't it be trousers one week and skirts the next;) I am sure transgender males would be delighted to be given a chance to show off their best skirts.

I wear trousers most of the time. In this cool country my legs get cold and I hate wearing tights.

At the risk of sounding like a prude skirt lengths cannot get any shorter. Grandson and girl friend came with their shopping purchases and the new skirt she showed me looked only about 6 inches long:)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Well, it was, of course, in the Daily Mail.....Exaggerated tosh as usual..I couldn't see anything of substance in the piece about 'gender neutral' clothing. Tbh, I think a sensible school uniform, if schools must have one, should be unisex, clean jeans and a sweatshirt or tshirt.
In my years in education I failed to notice how a piece of clothing or footwear helped or hindered learning.

The Mail is a pernicious rag indeed. Along with The Times it perpetrated that load of lying nonsense about the Tower Hamlets case of the 'Christian; child being placed with Muslim foster parents who allegedly spoke only Arabic, refused to feed her bacon and the mum is said to have worn a hijab. All untrue. The court records of the hearing where the application was made for care of the child by Tower Hamlets Children's Department reveal the truth.
The Times has discredited itself but then it's part of the Murdoch stable so we can't expect better standards.
The Mail thrives on tosh like that. More than any British institution other than the outright neo-Nazi or fascist groups like the BNP, Britain First or the EDL it insidiously encourages division, fear and hatred.
It's more dangerous than them because it reaches more people and the more gullible are taken in.
Filthy rag....

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
In the interests of equality shouldn't it be trousers one week and skirts the next;) I am sure transgender males would be delighted to be given a chance to show off their best skirts.

I wear trousers most of the time. In this cool country my legs get cold and I hate wearing tights.

At the risk of sounding like a prude skirt lengths cannot get any shorter. Grandson and girl friend came with their shopping purchases and the new skirt she showed me looked only about 6 inches long:)
What's wrong with being a prude?? I'm a very proud prude.
I seriously believe that public life has become far too sexualised, brutalised and vulgar.
Oh for the days when erotisme au cinema aka sex in the movies was implied by the crashing of waves on a beach or a firework display....

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it was, of course, in the Daily Mail.....Exaggerated tosh as usual...
It was also in the Telegraph, The Independent, the Guardian amongst many others also featured on Sky News, BBC News, CNN and many others. Singling out the Mail just because that was the link I used is honestly pretty purile.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The problem with newspapers is they rarely do proper journalism anymore, now it's churnalism. Most of their news is supplied by press releases with many printing it word for word without fact checking. In the Tower Hamlets case a member of the family obviously approached the paper.

During August the amount of spelling mistakes has been disgraceful both in the Guardian and the DM. Suggests they are using zero hours journalism students.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
It was also in the Telegraph, The Independent, the Guardian amongst many others also featured on Sky News, BBC News, CNN and many others. Singling out the Mail just because that was the link I used is honestly pretty purile.
I think you will find that the topic was treáted differently according to which paper etc.it appeared in.
And since you like to use use the word a lot, it's spelled 'puerile':)

Some posters on this Forum won't open links from the Mail, they don't want to contaminate their browsers:D

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
And your definition of PC is?
And those responsible for propagating it?

I do think that if we use terms like PC we should be prepared to define them so others know whát we mean by them.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
The problem with newspapers is they rarely do proper journalism anymore, now it's churnalism. Most of their news is supplied by press releases with many printing it word for word without fact checking. In the Tower Hamlets case a member of the family obviously approached the paper.

During August the amount of spelling mistakes has been disgraceful both in the Guardian and the DM. Suggests they are using zero hours journalism students.
I don't think that is so. You can check the byline to see who is responsible for a piece.
Besides, it's the editor's job to check facts before going to print.
Mind you, Paul Dacre, Mail editor, is imo a bigot himself. The Mail will never live down its Hitler supporting past....

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And your definition of PC is?
And those responsible for propagating it?
I do think that if we use terms like PC we should be prepared to define them so others know whát we mean by them.
If you are unsure of what the general accepted definition of PC is in todays society I suggest you do an internet search on the words "Politcal Correctness". There are many articles and definitions from Wikipedia, the Oxford English Dictionary and the Guardian amonst the many sources that may give you a good insight.
As for " those responsible for propagating it? Human beings in the main.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
I have a photo from the 1950s of a family camping holiday and my brother and I were wearing identical jeans, windcheaters and plimsolls. No big deal. I would have loved to have been able to wear trousers to school, but political correctness at that time dictated that girls wore skirts.

Social progress goes in fits and starts, but generally in the right direction. At one time it was PC to inflict painful physical punishment on small children, both at home and at school. Now it's illegal, and quite rightly. But there were howls of protest from the likes of the Daily Mail and its readers.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm always intrigued as to what people mean by the phrase 'political correctness'. I suspect most people themselves don't really have a clue.
To me it means in its basic sense good manners and courtesy towards others. Time was when it was acceptable to use terms like 'poof' '******' '****' 'yid' 'spaz' and so on and if PC means that we can no longer use them publicly, I'm all in favour of it.

And who are this 'PC brigade'???? Name names. I think we should be told:)

However....it does seem to me that we have become far too sensitive in many ways, although when I say we' of course that doesn't include all of us or the media. There is no right not to be offended or insulted. Threatening language and words which incite hatred or violence are righty condemned. Nobody has the right to shout 'Fire' in a crowded theatre.
But there should be no restriction on criticising religion or culture. I am an Islamophobe and also a Judeophobe and Christophobe when I come across extreme adherents of any of these religions or indeed any ideology. As such I strongly object to any attempt to stop me voicing my views. As the punishment for lesbianism under Sharia law is burial up to the neck and death by stoning I feel a mild objection might be in order....
I also feel that some sections of society, usually the middle class 'progressive' left, bend over backwards to protect Islam from any criticism whilst cheerfully saying or allowing to be said all sorts of unkind things about Christianity. People who complained about Charlie Hebdo's cartoons laughed at 'Life of Brian'. And some cultures are preferable to others in many ways.

As for the school thing....I couldn't give a damn. .

Maybe I was a bit too quick to judge. I apologise. Your view that death by stoning warrants mild objection suggests that you are perhaps rather less PC than I had initially thought. I assume you also think that the same treatment is warranted for homosexuals …provided of course, that we don't call them poofs or Transgendered as long we don't name them CaitLynn. That would indeed be a step too far. Keep it up :yo:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I find this totally offensive and quite pathetic. The PC brigade have finally taken over the Asylum. Gender Neutral.....what a purile "phrase" that has now become fashionable.

Lewes school bans skirts for 'gender neutral' uniform | Daily Mail Online
Can our children have Gender free education ? - the BBC investigates:

Well consider this - No more Boys and Girls, the BBC poses the question as to whether Schools in the UK
can start running Gender Free Education.

The program is in two parts and still available on BBC I-player.

BBC documentary - Can our kids have Gender Free education - part 1

BBC documentary - Can our kids have Gender Free education - part 2

BBC 3 Report - Should our children be brought up as Gender nuetral ?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I fail to see why this is a big deal or why it should offend anyone.
I have to admit that I am still not sure if the criticism is directed at the wearing of trousers by school girls, or at the use of terms like "gender-neutral" in the press.

Can you clarify Mike?

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
North Korea has nukes, Hurricane Irma devastates the Caribbean, Brexit talks flounder.....and people talk about this??????

What is meant by 'gender neutral'? What's new about having the same facilities, clothing, curriculum for both genders? How can the teaching of a subject like physics be anything other than 'gender neutral'?

This is a load of -well, I was going to say 'cobblers' but that phrase is most definitely not gender neutral .
The OP objected to my singling out of the Daily Heil article about this non-subject yet he chose that from all the other sources he mentioned to make his point. Yet as so often the Heil uses a strapline which on further reading has little to do with the topic in question. Other sources were more balanced, as might be expected.

I read the Heil every day and will do so as long as I can do it for free. It is a truly disgusting rag, reporting in salacious detail sex crimes, revolting medical procedures., welfare cheats..it's entertaining, I suppose and well constructed. But it is insidious in its stealthy production of misinformation exaggeration bias and at times downright lies.

All this crap about 'gender neutral' is this week's fad. Next week it will be something equally trivial.
Meanwhie real life goes on for the rest of the world.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Can our children have Gender free education ? - the BBC investigates:

Well consider this - No more Boys and Girls, the BBC poses the question as to whether Schools in the UK
can start running Gender Free Education.

The program is in two parts and still available on BBC I-player.

BBC documentary - Can our kids have Gender Free education - part 1

BBC documentary - Can our kids have Gender Free education - part 2

BBC 3 Report - Should our children be brought up as Gender nuetral ?
Actually, I'm in two minds about this. The article and school uniform seems to be the typical lets-make-something-of -nothing. However, it's true that the transgender children issue is coming more and more into the forefront. I've certainly seen between 5 - 10 reports on it in the last year ish, and serious reports at that, so things need to be addressed, just what things I'm not sure, but in the grand scale school uniforms is not such a burning issue, or is it?
I saw these programmes when I was in the UK in August and they were interesting!

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
There is an organization in Spain who deny the existence of transgenderism, despite all the evidence to the contrary. It's called Hazte Oir (make yourself heard). They even sponsored an advert on the side of a bus in Madrid: "boys have a penis, girls have a vulva; if you're born a man, you're a man; if you're born a woman, you will always be one."

It was quickly removed from the streets following protests, but nonetheless Hazte Oir remains a government-approved charity.

Around one in 1500 babies are born with ambiguous genitalia. In the past they have been assigned a gender and the approprate surgery undertaken as soon as possible to "correct" the situation. But now we knw the psychological damage this can do later in life, we must be a little more tolerant and allow people to make their own decisions about their sexuality.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts