Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I know this has come up a few times but I'm a bit uncertain to current rules.

We're hoping to move to Cyprus in a few months once my meagre pension comes through but one thing confusing us is healthcare. I've read the forums and it would seem that once my wife's state pension starts in 4 years time, that should entitle us both to healthcare. Correct?

The thing that puzzles me is that I've read here that our UK contributions ( we're both up to date here ) should allow us to receive treatment here for 2.5 years. I seem to recollect reading that this was changing or even had changes since 2014 and that this no longer applies. Now I'm confused. Can someone tell me if we still get the free 2.5 years or not?

If we came would we need to buy private cover immediately?

Also if anyone can recommend an insurance company that would give us private cover that would be great. We both have pre-existing conditions thought nothing requiring major treatment in the last few years.

Thanks for helping :):)

W

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi folks,

I know this has come up a few times but I'm a bit uncertain to current rules.

We're hoping to move to Cyprus in a few months once my meagre pension comes through but one thing confusing us is healthcare. I've read the forums and it would seem that once my wife's state pension starts in 4 years time, that should entitle us both to healthcare. Correct? correct

The thing that puzzles me is that I've read here that our UK contributions ( we're both up to date here ) should allow us to receive treatment here for 2.5 years. I seem to recollect reading that this was changing or even had changes since 2014 and that this no longer applies. Now I'm confused. Can someone tell me if we still get the free 2.5 years or not? No. - this is no longer applicable

If we came would we need to buy private cover immediately? Yes (as you are below State pension age)

Also if anyone can recommend an insurance company that would give us private cover that would be great. We both have pre-existing conditions thought nothing requiring major treatment in the last few years. Atlantic Insurance

Thanks for helping :):)

W
Answers in red for ease of reference...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David and Letitia.

That's cleared things up for us. Shame about the 2.5 years of healthcare. Ah well, I will check Atlantic as you suggest. I guess the idea is to go for emergency cover only with a bit of excess to keep costs down and if anything major happens that isn't emergency then back to the UK for a bit of treatment; unless you would suggest some other course of action?

W

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Doh! I've just also found out that once you move you lose all your NHS entitlements. That's harsh after paying an awful lot of money for over 40 years into the system.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Thanks David and Letitia.

That's cleared things up for us. Shame about the 2.5 years of healthcare. Ah well, I will check Atlantic as you suggest. I guess the idea is to go for emergency cover only with a bit of excess to keep costs down and if anything major happens that isn't emergency then back to the UK for a bit of treatment; unless you would suggest some other course of action?

W
Emergency cover is given to everyone at the accidrnt and emergency in the General Hospitals. There is a nominal charge of €10 for the treatment. Your EHIC will cover all emegency treatment. When approaching Atlantic Ins for medical ins, do tell them it is for immigration purpose only as they do a cheap version for that.:)

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Emergency cover is given to everyone at the accidrnt and emergency in the General Hospitals. There is a nominal charge of €10 for the treatment. Your EHIC will cover all emegency treatment. When approaching Atlantic Ins for medical ins, do tell them it is for immigration purpose only as they do a cheap version for that.:)
The EHIC card will be valid only until you get your permission to stay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right chaps, I'm a bit confused again. Can you clarify

1. the EHIC card will not cover me as a resident of Cyprus ( i.e. is only useful for the first 3 months or so of my stay )

2. Does everyone get emergency treatment irrespective of their insurance or lack thereof, and/or the valid of the EHIC card for €10?

I'm pretty sure we could afford to "pay as we go" for routine medical care and we just want to be sure we're covered if something fairly major happens, particularly as we've found out the NHS won't cover us for anything once we leave the UK.

Really I'm wondering if I would need an all singing all dancing policy if we pay for routine stuff ourselves and if we are covered for emergency treatment.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts

1. the EHIC card will not cover me as a resident of Cyprus ( i.e. is only useful for the first 3 months or so of my stay )

2. Does everyone get emergency treatment irrespective of their insurance or lack thereof, and/or the valid of the EHIC card for €10?

I'm pretty sure we could afford to "pay as we go" for routine medical care and we just want to be sure we're covered if something fairly major happens, particularly as we've found out the NHS won't cover us for anything once we leave the UK.

Really I'm wondering if I would need an all singing all dancing policy if we pay for routine stuff ourselves and if we are covered for emergency treatment.
1. thar it correct. When you are resident here you can get a Cyprus EHIC that cover you in other EU countries.

2. You will not get the permission to stay without insurance. But everyone get treatment at ER. But only just for the emergency. All other costs must be fully paid

·
Registered
972 Posts
Again, answers in red for ease of reference.

1. the EHIC card will not cover me as a resident of Cyprus ( i.e. is only useful for the first 3 months or so of my stay ). Correct. Officially, the UK issued EHIC gives you cover for up to 90 days - the same amount of time before you are meant to register with immigration as a resident. Unofficially, the authorities here will not necessarily know if you have been here over 90 days as long as your EHIC is in date.

2. Does everyone get emergency treatment irrespective of their insurance or lack thereof, and/or the valid of the EHIC card for €10? Yes.

I'm pretty sure we could afford to "pay as we go" for routine medical care and we just want to be sure we're covered if something fairly major happens, particularly as we've found out the NHS won't cover us for anything once we leave the UK. Many people would feel the same, but insurance is all about the unexpected. Low level stuff is relatively cheap and readily available - many medicines which are prescription only in the UK may be bought over the counter in Pharmacies here.

Really I'm wondering if I would need an all singing all dancing policy if we pay for routine stuff ourselves and if we are covered for emergency treatment.You will need proof of medical cover for immigration. You will be able to get a cheap policy for this purpose, but any money paid will probably be wasted as the purpose of these policies is to satisfy immigration - not to give you peace of mind. What you pay for medical insurance is entirely up to you, and with some policies, you can reduce the premiums by increasing your excess and also not claiming for low level stuff in order to increase your no claims bonus. I advise you to avoid any policy which does not require you to undergo (at your expense) a full medical check up. No reputable underwriter would take on such a risk.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Again, answers in red for ease of reference.

One thing is important. Whatever insurannce you get here, it will not cover ANY existing problems or anything that the insurance company decide can be connected to the existing problem

For over the counter medicine prices without having a prescription, this is the latest pricelist and I update it as soon as a new is published

Cyprus Medicine Prices

·
Registered
972 Posts
This article got me excited until I read the date it was written - Sep 2013. I don't have high expectations of our Government and they rarely do "the right thing" when it comes to expats who have paid into the system all their lives. It seems that our contributions are better spent on immigrants to the UK who have paid nothing in or to the Foreign Office to give aid to many countries which don't need it.

I was perplexed by this statement in the article, though - any ideas what it refers to?

"Expats living within the European Economic Area are also entitled to subsidised health care"

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
This article got me excited until I read the date it was written - Sep 2013. I don't have high expectations of our Government and they rarely do "the right thing" when it comes to expats who have paid into the system all their lives. It seems that our contributions are better spent on immigrants to the UK who have paid nothing in or to the Foreign Office to give aid to many countries which don't need it.

I was perplexed by this statement in the article, though - any ideas what it refers to?

"Expats living within the European Economic Area are also entitled to subsidised health care"
What I know this has already changed. Or will be 1 of July.

·
Registered
972 Posts
What I know this has already changed. Or will be 1 of July.
The change from 1 Jul 15 refers to UK State pensioners returning to the UK (or just visiting) being entitled to free NHS care immediately from the time of entry, instead of having to wait for 3 months to "re-qualify" as if they were immigrants! Unfortunately, this change will not cover us, nor the OP as we are below State pension age.

As the article is nearly 2 years old, it cannot be referring to the latest change. It seems to indicate, however, that there was (is?) some form of subsidised healthcare provided from the UK for expats living in the EEA. Maybe this refers to the EHIC?

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
The change from 1 Jul 15 refers to UK State pensioners returning to the UK (or just visiting) being entitled to free NHS care immediately from the time of entry, instead of having to wait for 3 months to "re-qualify" as if they were immigrants! Unfortunately, this change will not cover us, nor the OP as we are below State pension age.
QUOTE]

It does mean that pensioners can go to the UK for treatment though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
QUOTE]

It does mean that pensioners can go to the UK for treatment though.
...and good luck to them! I don't see this as a concession but an entitlement after a lifetime of contributions.

Unfortunately, we need to wait 5 years to get this. As the Poni-tails used to sing : We were "Born too late" :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I appreciate your help and I've got a better grasp of things now . I'm sad about the UK turning its back on long-time contributors but the way things are, not surprised. Shame on this government just the same.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts

This story contradict this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...vernment-U-turn-on-NHS-access-for-expats.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we've had a real a setback here. I just got word from the insurance broker we used that the company they recommended ( Atlantic) wouldn't cover me for any pre-existing conditions and since one of these is raised blood pressure ( well - controlled with one tablet a day ) they wouldn't cover heart attack, stroke etc either. This is clearly the end of things as apparently no company will cover these conditions. I can't really emigrate knowing I'd be high and dry if something like that happened.

I'm pretty fed up about it but there doesn't seem to be a solution.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Well we've had a real a setback here. I just got word from the insurance broker we used that the company they recommended ( Atlantic) wouldn't cover me for any pre-existing conditions and since one of these is raised blood pressure ( well - controlled with one tablet a day ) they wouldn't cover heart attack, stroke etc either. This is clearly the end of things as apparently no company will cover these conditions. I can't really emigrate knowing I'd be high and dry if something like that happened.

I'm pretty fed up about it but there doesn't seem to be a solution.
That is how they do.

But it means that you have to wait until you get state pension, then the public healthcare will take care of you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts