Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could someone help me. I'm at my wit's end. Just found harvest mites on my three dogs. Were due to go back to UK next Thurs pm and the dogs booked in at vets on Wednesday. Will them having harvest mites affecting them being allowed back into UK?
I've read all the frontline etc treatments don't work on harvest mites so I don't know what to treat them with?? I used advantix yesterday in them before I found this out?

Any help would be great thanks in advance xx

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
try this: "terre de diatomée"

It's a natural product good for parasites on cats, dogs & hens

Wish you well, Rex!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
try a vet or a pharmacy?. The latter usually have an "animal corner" and the staff are usually v knowlegeable.

DejW

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :) at vet on Wednesday morning but was looking for something asap. Im scared of a vet sees the mites they may keep dogs in France :( x

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
According to my vet here, Frontline products are very limited in their efficacy these days, but the Advantix line (produced by Bayer) works considerably better.

That terre de diatomée is called "diatomaceous earth" in English, and should be available through either a pharmacy or a pet supply store.

But if you're booked in at the vet's on Wednesday, surely they will be able to advise on treatment. I don't believe that mites will cause them to keep the dogs in France, nor to keep them out of the UK as long as their shots (particularly rabies) are up to date.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello
Thanks for reply x they had advantix yesterday but told there were still 24 hours later a couple of orange specs running about and still lots clung onto fur :(
Thought they would be dead by now hence the frontline spray xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to say ... Everything is up-to-date and there going vets Wednesday for there worming xx I just don't know what to do. Leave it till Wednesday or go on the hunt tomorrow for frontline but everywhere will be shut as Sunday xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks :) so I can buy de powder from pharmacy or vet? Going to struggle doing this today as everything is shut Sunday :( xx

·
Registered
580 Posts
It would help if you said whereabouts you are in France. As alicewaimea said you can buy diatomaceous earth from the pet section of some garden centres. If you tell us where you are then we can perhaps direct you to a shop local to you.

Sue

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
On a Sunday, about your only option is going to be a garden center with a pet section. But you can probably wait until Monday if you can't find anything today.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are you sure they are harvest mites and not ticks? If they are harvest mites then you can smear vaseline on them which will suffocate them If they are ticks and there are several of them get the vet to remove them on Monday morning and do not wait till Wednesday If they are ticks do not try to remove them unless you know what you are doing

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are not aware, you can call the vets emergency service today. Of course it is more expensive but not that much more.
The number should be given out on your vet’s answer phone.

I have Apaisyl for my own use-mozzie bites. It is itch/sting relief only, not a cure.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
No definite harvest mites. Been to pharmacy and showed them harvest mites in French and got given these.
It looks like you're all set then. Well done. (The pharmacists here are great on veterinary products.) Start treating now and by Wednesday you can ask the vet to take a look to see how it's going.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 25 Posts