Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's January; it's doom and gloom every and anywhere; even the weather's throwing a paddy.

Please can we have a happy thread ....

I love living in France, in the Auvergne and sometimes also in Corsica. I feel privileged to be able to be here, with the wealth of immensely good things and in the knowledge that my (mainly French-educated) daughter is also happy and well-balanced. We have somewhere to live, we have clean water, we have (vaguely) central heating, we have a choice of quality food, we have excellent health care on demand, we have freedom of speech & thought, we have no light, air or water pollution, we have good and safe roads on which to travel (tho not v much public transport).

Yeah, there's **** sometimes, but hey .............. lighten up everyone.

We might only have a couple more years to enjoy this if the predictions are right ...:D

Hils

o & btw if anyone wants a low-cost hol in Corsica pls contact me ;)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My best friend lives in france, in a small village near to Narbonne. She and her husband retired there 7 years ago - he took early retirement, so they're still young. They love it and are totally intergrated and happy. He plays in the village boules/petank (sp?)team and the pool team, she's on the committee for the tennis club, they go out to friends houses for dinner, help to organise local events, always going off visiting places. They bought a small house situated in the street and spend their spare time doing it up and its really pretty - as is their village - they have the perfect life and I'm really jealous of her LOL

Jo xxx

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm happy too - we came here to retire but there is such a demand for English lessons - currently if my wife works a full week with all her pupils she teaches 25 hours - fortunately there's never really a full week. I don't have so much work - just 6 hours this week. But just had a request in for translation of business document from French to English - fortunately weather forecast for Sunday is not great.

Off to Narbonne for a meeting with the French rugby supporters who are paying for me to accompany them to Edinburgh in 2 weeks time for the rugby. Got to get the words of Flower of Scotland printed off for them.

Next decision is whether to have lunch on the terrace - not bad for January.

Hence the term contentedscot.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next decision is whether to have lunch on the terrace - not bad for January.

Hence the term contentedscot.
Will similarly have to decide which of my verandas in Corsica to have lunch on next week - as we had to in mid-December. It's a grim life in this country, innit ?

:D

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
As I'm sure I've posted before, I spent the first 5 or 6 years here in France making myself miserable because of some admittedly tricky problems with immigration and attitudes (mine and others). But somewhere along the way it dawned on me ("light dawns on Marblehead!") that I was the source of most of my problems.

Once I lightened up, accepted that none of this was personal and decided be happy here in France, whatever it took, I found that this really is a rather nice place to live. The food and drink are fabulous (and not that difficult to make yourself if you take the time to do things right). You have to learn to work the system - but you did back home (wherever that may be), too. And once you've learned enough to work the system, you can find advantages and things you're able to do that you could never do back home.

France isn't going to change for you or any foreigner, but sometimes if you take the time and effort to try and understand why things are the way they turned out, you actually learn something interesting in the process.
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
Yes we spend too much time looking for something to blame, when happiness is a state of mind. Nothing's perfect, here or anywhere else, but France has a lot going for it. I've met some of the happiest people I know in conditions of abject poverty in Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and parts of Thailand. They simply wouldn't understand some of our complaints - it just wouldn't register on their scale of relevance. Their number one priority is finding something to eat for the next meal, or looking after sick relatives when there's little or no state health care.

So yes Hils, we live privileged lives in comparison to most people around the globe. Thanks for the reminder :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love life in the Dordogne. H has a regular job at a french company even though he can't speak much french (rare I know) I have my own enterprise and life is good. I don't listen to the negativity. If you believed everything you read on forums no one would ever come to France as apparantly you can't get a job without fluent french and you can't make any money working for yourself. Positive thoughts go a long way and we are very happy we moved, our life is relaxing, we have many friends and a beautiful house we could never have afforded in the UK. Life is good. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Low cost holiday

It's January; it's doom and gloom every and anywhere; even the weather's throwing a paddy.

Please can we have a happy thread ....

I love living in France, in the Auvergne and sometimes also in Corsica. I feel privileged to be able to be here, with the wealth of immensely good things and in the knowledge that my (mainly French-educated) daughter is also happy and well-balanced. We have somewhere to live, we have clean water, we have (vaguely) central heating, we have a choice of quality food, we have excellent health care on demand, we have freedom of speech & thought, we have no light, air or water pollution, we have good and safe roads on which to travel (tho not v much public transport).

Yeah, there's **** sometimes, but hey .............. lighten up everyone.

We might only have a couple more years to enjoy this if the predictions are right ...:D

Hils

o & btw if anyone wants a low-cost hol in Corsica pls contact me ;)
Hi, im looking at taking a holiday in france this year to look for the ideal place to live with my family. How much?

Many thanks Vanessa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.