Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving!

to all Americans out there who are celebrating.

After going to three grocery stores I was able to find fresh turkey breast. We are missing a couple of things but we are pretty much set with all the dishes- just some adaptations. Waiting for the turkey I met an old friend from NY who just moved here!

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!

to all Americans out there who are celebrating.

After going to three grocery stores I was able to find fresh turkey breast. We are missing a couple of things but we are pretty much set with all the dishes- just some adaptations. Waiting for the turkey I met an old friend from NY who just moved here!
Its always nice to meet people you know from the past isnt it?
There was a time when anyone who moved abroad would have very little chance of ever meeting anyone from back "home" but the world has shrunk so much with so many people travelling around its amazing who you bump into in strange foreign lands these days:D:D:D:D:D:D

Happy thanksgiving to you:)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Delicious! My mother-in-law makes the best sweet potato souffle with brandy and cranberry sauce. My father-in-law always orders the turkey I believe from a place around Moutallos, but I think that the fruit/mini market Theofanos in town by Evzonas may also order them if I remember correctly. It takes a bit of searching but almost everything can be found or replicated!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delicious! My mother-in-law makes the best sweet potato souffle with brandy and cranberry sauce. My father-in-law always orders the turkey I believe from a place around Moutallos, but I think that the fruit/mini market Theofanos in town by Evzonas may also order them if I remember correctly. It takes a bit of searching but almost everything can be found or replicated!!
That sounds delicious. Could you possibly get me the recipe? I am trying to get the kids to eat sweet potatoes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is my sister's recipe and may be more kid friendly - also terrific. When my mother-in-law gets me the recipe with brandy I'll send that too. Enjoy!

Topping:
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups flour
stick of butter
2 cups chopped pecans
Crumble/mix all together - put to side.

10 - 12 sweet potatos
1/3 to one stick cup room temp. butter
3 eggs beaten
1 can or 1 cup condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix with mixer
Put into deep casserole dish
Add topping and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour at 350

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here is my mother-in-laws recipe for the Souffle with brandy. She didn't say how many potatoes, but she ususally makes smaller portions for 5-6 people whereas my sisters recipe is for 10 - 15 people.

Sweet potatoes
5 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
3 teaspoons brandy
2 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 cup of raisins

Boil potatoes first until cooked. Drain liquid and then mash pototatoes. Add sugar, butter, brandy, eggs (mix well) and last add the raisins.
Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my sister's recipe and may be more kid friendly - also terrific. When my mother-in-law gets me the recipe with brandy I'll send that too. Enjoy!

Topping:
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups flour
stick of butter
2 cups chopped pecans
Crumble/mix all together - put to side.

10 - 12 sweet potatos
1/3 to one stick cup room temp. butter
3 eggs beaten
1 can or 1 cup condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix with mixer
Put into deep casserole dish
Add topping and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour at 350
Cleo,

I am making this for Xmas. What kind of vanilla do they use? I am used to actual vanilla beans and I had made bread pudding that called for 1 tb vanilla and the powder I used was way too much even for me.

Thanks
Dina

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks. That reminds me to put the extract on my husband's list for next month trip to NY. Merry Christmas! My two year old is also very excited about Xmas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.