Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's early morning on Australia Day and I was wondering how those in Australia are spending it.

In a few minutes we're off to the town centre since there's an Australia Day breakfast (probably all the stuff that is bad for you :)) where citizens of the town will be announced (a local version of Australian of the Year) and awards will be given out. We'll be meeting up with friends and our Rotary club. One of my friends is getting an award on behalf of SARWG (South Australian Rural Women's Gathering) and another is being awarded a citizen of the year - so lots to celebrate!

After that I'll actually be working - although it's great earning pounds they don't have the day off in UK. Mind you I won't be able to move much after that brekky any way :D

What are you up to?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hmmm, looks like we'll be sleeping in. I'm awake but everyone else is sleeping. If we were all awake I think we would head down to the Australia day breakfast at the beach (pancakes!) and probably hang out there for a few hours :)

Hi everyone,

It's early morning on Australia Day and I was wondering how those in Australia are spending it.

In a few minutes we're off to the town centre since there's an Australia Day breakfast (probably all the stuff that is bad for you :)) where citizens of the town will be announced (a local version of Australian of the Year) and awards will be given out. We'll be meeting up with friends and our Rotary club. One of my friends is getting an award on behalf of SARWG (South Australian Rural Women's Gathering) and another is being awarded a citizen of the year - so lots to celebrate!

After that I'll actually be working - although it's great earning pounds they don't have the day off in UK. Mind you I won't be able to move much after that brekky any way :D

What are you up to?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
188 Posts
Australia Day

Well after having a lovely lie in, we will be painting window frames and planning a vegetable patch. Though Melbourne is being traditional and we have no clue what the weather will be like so paint may have to wait! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Just cam back from a cycle with the kids..... Now for a light lunch, a little swim and a few beers...... Its a time Australia needs to remember where she came from and to make sure they stop shifting towards being the 51st state of America.

Happy Australia day all.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Its Republic day here in India.. a lazy start, I cant see anything but Fog outside.. its cold and we are lazing. friends coming for dinner and Me working in the kitchen since forever to prepare a huge meal :). Husband sitting in front of TV watch republic day celebs. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Its Republic day here in India.. a lazy start, I cant see anything but Fog outside.. its cold and we are lazing. friends coming for dinner and Me working in the kitchen since forever to prepare a huge meal :). Husband sitting in front of TV watch republic day celebs. :)
Lucky you - Australian TV is almost unwatchable.... :ranger:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
its as bad here :p.. we get outdated UK/US stuff here which probably u saw in the 80's. we downloaded MASH, all 11 seasons, are on season 9 for now.. watch it day and night and love it.. after we are done with mash, we will move on to two and half men.. cant watch anything on TV. You cant even imagine the kind of soaps we get in India, unthinkable, unwatchable, uncouth and everything "un" :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I spent the day in a tiny tiny country town hall where I watched cane toad, wheelie bin, and potato sack races. There was also a meat slab raffle, horse rides and old machinery displays. Very typical country Australia. Made me smile, (^_^)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts