Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
62,500 GBP was funded to me on May 22. So I guess on Nov 22 (6 months from then) I can apply for the UK spouse visa.

In terms on stamping the statements, my mum can get this done at the branch, it shows both her name as well as mine (account opened since I was an infant) is this what is required.

It shows the balance as well as our names on the account as well as stamped (dated/branch name) on each page.

In terms on the transaction on HOW the 62,500 was funded, the monies were deposited via cash and cheque (no account to account transfer).

Can I just send the Halifax passport book along with the letter and statement from Halifax?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Savings can be in the name of the applicant, sponsor or both. If anyone else's name is on the account, you will only be able to use half of the money towards your application, as the other half belongs, in your case, to your Mum. You need to have her name taken off.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Savings can be in the name of the applicant, sponsor or both. If anyone else's name is on the account, you will only be able to use half of the money towards your application, as the other half belongs, in your case, to your Mum. You need to have her name taken off.
really. where does UKBA state this then?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's UKVI, the name changed over 1 year ago and it's clearly stated in FM 1.7.
ok. so my mum can remove her name then from the branch and it should be good from there?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You'll need 6 months of statements without her name.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is pissing me off. But glad I asked here. I should have asked sooner I guess.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Better to know now than 6 or 8 months from now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if mum removes her name from halifax tomorrow and leave the account with just my name with the 62500 in there, I can apply december 9?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On what date will you have 6 months worth of statements without your mother's name?

Not trying to be dense here, but in my case, my statements are monthly, 1-31, and they generally arrive on the 8th of the following month. My May one arrived today as it is 8th June. If I were starting with this statement, I would have six months of statements on approx November 9th (the 8th is a Sunday), when the October one would be expected to arrive.

I would need to apply in the interval between receiving that statement and 27th of that month (when the statement reached 28 days in age.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On what date will you have 6 months worth of statements without your mother's name?

Not trying to be dense here, but in my case, my statements are monthly, 1-31, and they generally arrive on the 8th of the following month. My May one arrived today as it is 8th June. If I were starting with this statement, I would have six months of statements on approx November 9th (the 8th is a Sunday), when the October one would be expected to arrive.

I would need to apply in the interval between receiving that statement and 27th of that month (when the statement reached 28 days in age.)

well. my mum can go back to the bank tomorrow and request to have her name removed then again on december 9 (6 months from tomorrow) to print and stamp the statements - but not sure if she can do so on my behalf?

·
Registered
8 Posts
In terms on the transaction on HOW the 62,500 was funded, the monies were deposited via cash and cheque (no account to account transfer).

Just a question, the more knowledgeable folks on the forum can answer.
Will you have to show statements of the month when deposits where made? (as proof). If you have to, you will have the name issue on that statement.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I am collecting documents still, but I have already requested the statement from when my account was opened and when a second deposit was made a few years later. I've also requested a letter from the investment firm (Fidelity) detailing the source and timing of the deposit of the funds. I have now realised that the letter needs to be dated within 28 days of application, so at the right time I will ask for it to be reissued. I'm going to ask them to add a statement to the letter that asserts that the funds are readily accessible.

My account is a "Rollover IRA" containing funds from investment accounts from prior employers, which is why there are only two deposits.

The money has to be in your control for the six months leading up to your application. It's not clear to me that having other names on the account prior to that will have any bearing. Hopefully someone else will add their thoughts on this question.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i;m **** outta luck. Halifax cannot remove my mums name without me being present in the UK.
And I cannot open a new savings account online without me being a UK resident.
ugh
so it looks like i hit a dead end.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
well i;m **** outta luck. Halifax cannot remove my mums name without me being present in the UK.
And I cannot open a new savings account online without me being a UK resident.
ugh
so it looks like i hit a dead end.
You can't go back for a visit and take care of this?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You have to be a resident, with utility bill etc in your name, and not just a visitor, surely?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can the money be moved to an account in the US?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The value in GBP will be calculated as of the date of application (the date you submit online and pay) using the rate at oanda.com. If it's in a foreign currency, and you are close to the amount needed, then that could be cause for worry.

Another option is to move it to a cash reserves account at an investment firm. I asked at Fidelity if I could have my account shifted to GBP and they said that was not a problem. Your best bet would be to be able to move it to an account in the US but keep it in GBP, as that would remove the cost and risk of currency exchange.

Will Halifax let you move the money whilst not present?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.