Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the states we have hair cutting places that are inexpensive and if you check "Yelp" you can find pretty good stylist there. Is there any equivalent to that in France? Is there a French equivalent to Yelp?
We leave for Toulouse and the Pyrenees on Sunday. Excited, nervous, etc!

·
Administrator
51,981 Posts
Carrefour has just set up a new, cheapie haircutting place in the middle of their newly renovated stores. They call it the "Beauty Bubble" - and haircuts are only 10€ - I don't think they bother with appointments. Take a look here - scroll down the page a bit for the information Carrefour  - Votre magasin

There are also a bunch of chain hairdressers - Sergio Bossi, Franck Provost, Jacques Dessange, Jean Louis David - usually with their own line of shampoos and other beauty products in the hypermarchés. They tend to be a bit cheaper than the private salons and often don't require an appointment. Also check for hairdressers with shops in the malls rather than stores in the town centers. They tend to be less expensive, though they may have high turnover with the staff.

Yelp exists in France (at yelp.fr) but all the recommendations are in French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yelp

Thank you so much. We are pretty good at reading French websites (except those for Mobile phones!). It is understanding the rapid fire speech that is our biggest problem now. We arrive next Monday so we will learn.
Yvonne

Carrefour has just set up a new, cheapie haircutting place in the middle of their newly renovated stores. They call it the "Beauty Bubble" - and haircuts are only 10€ - I don't think they bother with appointments. Take a look here - scroll down the page a bit for the information Carrefour *-*Votre magasin

There are also a bunch of chain hairdressers - Sergio Bossi, Franck Provost, Jacques Dessange, Jean Louis David - usually with their own line of shampoos and other beauty products in the hypermarchés. They tend to be a bit cheaper than the private salons and often don't require an appointment. Also check for hairdressers with shops in the malls rather than stores in the town centers. They tend to be less expensive, though they may have high turnover with the staff.

Yelp exists in France (at yelp.fr) but all the recommendations are in French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's also Qype.fr, much like Yelp: Toulouse: restaurant, hotel, bar, mode, concert, événement...

The thing with Franck Provost and those salons is that not only do they not require appointments, they often don't do appointments at all. You just get whichever stylist is available next. I tried FP and they were OK; I think a men's shampoo & cut ran €23. (In Paris--may be lower elsewhere.)

·
Administrator
51,981 Posts
There's also Qype.fr, much like Yelp: Toulouse: restaurant, hotel, bar, mode, concert, événement...

The thing with Franck Provost and those salons is that not only do they not require appointments, they often don't do appointments at all. You just get whichever stylist is available next. I tried FP and they were OK; I think a men's shampoo & cut ran €23. (In Paris--may be lower elsewhere.)
It seems to vary from one "chain" salon to the next. The Sergio Bossi place I used to go to didn't take appointments, but when you turned up they always asked who usually does your hair. If that person was working that day, they'd take you - or they might consult with whoever was more available if you didn't want to wait.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I tried FP and they were OK; I think a men's shampoo & cut ran €23. (In Paris--may be lower elsewhere.)
:eek: :eek: :eek: I pay €10 in our local village "coiffure" - if my wife & I both go it's €27 and we get a free cut every 10 visits.

Cheers

·
Registered
594 Posts
hairdressing chains do not always provdie value for money. Check your local hairdresser even if he/she does not speak the language... and enjoy the surprise haircut. For budget haircut, you an not expect the best of course.

·
Registered
348 Posts
In Paris, there are some new salons popping up where you are supposed to wash your hair at home and just come shortly after for your haircut. I've seen prices €10-12 for women (the lowest I've ever seen in France). Gare de Lyon? Can't remember. But there's more than one.

I was told that you can ask at a regular salon if there is a discount if you wash your hair yourself, but I have never done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.