Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, I am new to this so go easy, we are considering retiring to France and have noticed habiation tax and another house tax varies greatly from area to area. Is this the case all the way through France or have the estate agents not quoted me correctly??

We visted Brittany last year and found in the evenings nobody was about and places to eat were very limited, is this sthe same throughout France?

We are looking for a warmer climate than the UK ( not roasting all the time ) so can anyone suggest an area which has the seasons but is warmer for longer.

many thanks

Orchards.

·
Administrator
50,386 Posts
Taxe d'habitation varies greatly from one town to the next, largely due to the fact that it's one of the few taxes left where the local governments get to set their own rates (or at least their part of the rate). If your French is up to it, you can find out quite a bit about local tax rates in comparison to the surrounding towns here: Le Réseau ProXiti - Premier Réseau d'Informations Locales de France

We visted Brittany last year and found in the evenings nobody was about and places to eat were very limited, is this sthe same throughout France?
Depends where you're located in Brittany or anywhere else in France, for that matter. Nightlife isn't much in the smaller towns anywhere in France, except perhaps on the weekends. Places to eat depend on where you are and when. Most dinner places don't open before 7:30 pm and lunch is pretty much between 12:00 and maybe 2:30 pm with the restaurant closed in the break between lunch and dinner.

Big towns like Paris, Lyon, Marseilles are where you're liable to see the most night life, though in Britanny, Brest has a nice restaurant quarter down by the port. Lille has a rather vibrant old town center. Depends on the lifestyle you're looking for.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
737 Posts
you have to be careful with the habitation tax ; even if the vendor shows you what they pay it won't tell you what you will pay because either you or they might get a reduction due to low income

and france doesn't actually have a warmer climate than the uk on average ....hotter in the summer maybe but mostly colder in the winter

brittany , by the way , is famous for the number of days it rains each year , it's a bit like cornwall or wales

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I can confirm what Bev says about Lille. Brittany, you must remember, is not a chic wealthy area and much of it is agricultural so practicalities apply - there is not a "Chelsea" set. The streets tend to be much quieter and any drinking is likely to be either in the bars or at home. As LeBesset says, it is much like Cornwall or Wales, (they are all of Celtic origins) so you will not find a lot of conviviality.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can confirm what Bev says about Lille. Brittany, you must remember, is not a chic wealthy area and much of it is agricultural so practicalities apply - there is not a "Chelsea" set. The streets tend to be much quieter and any drinking is likely to be either in the bars or at home. As LeBesset says, it is much like Cornwall or Wales, (they are all of Celtic origins) so you will not find a lot of conviviality.
if I understand correctly one of the problems is the ever increasing number of holiday homes which stand empty for most of the year ...same problem as cornwall and wales I suppose !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts