Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends

Fortunately, I got through the H1B lottery this year and also got approval from USCIS. Since the H1B visa stamping windows is about to open from next month - July'15, I have a couple of queries:-

1. Can any one from their H1B stamping experience in India share if "Marriage Certificate" is a mandatory document required? We are married for 10 years and our passports also have each others name on it as spouses. Have you been asked for it as well during the interview? This is important for me to know as I don't have it and it would take 2-3 weeks to get it.

2. My I-129 form says H1B is valid from 1st Oct' 2015 however I read somewhere that you can enter 10 days before this date is US? Is that correct? Has anyone been able to enter US in September month before the Visa date starts. This would be help me decide my leaving date (of course one Visa is stamped..I am being a little optimistic here) and would also help me save my Income tax that I've paid in 2015 so far because if I leave in September, i'll be working less than 180 days in a FY in that case and I can asked Indian government to return my tax.

Please suggest.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You can apply for an H1B visa up to 90 days in advance beginning of employment status as noted on the form I-797, Notice of Action, however your entry to the US is restricted to 10 days prior to the start date as noted in the Form I-797 unless you are already working on an H1B visa and have applied for a revalidation.
if your wife is going with you and needs H4 visa ..the wedding cert is a must

1 - 2 of 2 Posts