Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Yes, smug, people kill.

1800 deaths a year on average from guns in France. Times that by 5 and it is close to the US figure... Close enough... Especially with the tougher laws there..

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, smug, people kill.

1800 deaths a year on average from guns in France. Times that by 5 and it is close to the US figure... Close enough... Especially with the tougher laws there..
I wrote this thread for you Keral :)

I got a feeling 'the local' got their stats a tad wrong ;)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Agree, Smeggie, hunting does spoil the countryside..I have to keep Barnie (photo above) on the lead when we go into the local forest. The local hunters seem to be well oiled on the local brew, Calvados (Calva).....I keep myself and the dogs well away from them.

On a more profound note, I am against hunting on moral grounds. I'm not vegetarian, and I wear leather shoes. I'm happy to kill an animal for food, to make clothing, or to protect people/ crops if they are threatened. What I am against is killing for sport, fun or whatever. I've done a bit of clay pigeon shooting and that's fun, but why kill other animals for the joy of it?

Where I lived in the UK was near a large Army training ground. The Army employed a professional to cull the deer that roamed at large. I met him several times while jogging, he was a professional tracker/hunter and did not use a shotgun but a large calibre rifle. I did not see a problem with this.....the deer were overbreeding and starving themselves. They then roamed into gardens, across roads and caused a lot of damage one way and another.

Sorry to hijack your wind up post for a serious rant.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Yes, smug, people kill.

Do the math - a little over 11,000 homicide gun deaths in 2014 in the US. But if you include suicides, the total rises to something over 33.000. 1800 times 5 only gives you 9000.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Today I listened to a chap who owns a huge gun store in Nevada being interviewed. The British journalist interviewing was clearly shocked at the powerful and advanced weapons on sale. When asked why would anyone need this type of weapon the bearded, tattooed owner said, that it is the right of every American to have a weapon as powerful and advanced as the US government. When asked why, he replied to protect themselves from the US government. He was so serious and added that the government cannot have better weapons, we must be able to have the same to defend ourselves. No mention of nuclear weapons thankfully! I do not believe that anyone who is not an American understands the role of owning a gun in the US. In France guns are for sport in the US your guess is as good as mine.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing “Why did he do it”? I am not interested in why he did it, but how he was able to take so many lethal weapons into a hotel. It is the responsibility of the hotels to protect their paying guests and anyone with so many weapons should have been reported as a threat. Hotel rooms in Las Vegas, have to be checked every few days no matter if the guest objects. Too much emphasis on the loser who has caused so much pain to so many and not on the victims.

And to all the so called experts here putting in their bit and trying to score point. You have obviously never had anyone close to you murdered by a loser with a gun. If you all feel so strongly about guns in France, go and protest at the next international arms fair in Paris. I do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
10 Republican senators have received over $40,000,000 from the National Rifle Association. Until the gun control activists can muster similar amounts there will be no change in the law. Don't mourn, organize.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,753 Posts
Today I listened to a chap who owns a huge gun store in Nevada being interviewed. The British journalist interviewing was clearly shocked at the powerful and advanced weapons on sale. When asked why would anyone need this type of weapon the bearded, tattooed owner said, that it is the right of every American to have a weapon as powerful and advanced as the US government. When asked why, he replied to protect themselves from the US government. He was so serious and added that the government cannot have better weapons, we must be able to have the same to defend ourselves. No mention of nuclear weapons thankfully! I do not believe that anyone who is not an American understands the role of owning a gun in the US. In France guns are for sport in the US your guess is as good as mine.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing “Why did he do it”? I am not interested in why he did it, but how he was able to take so many lethal weapons into a hotel. It is the responsibility of the hotels to protect their paying guests and anyone with so many weapons should have been reported as a threat. Hotel rooms in Las Vegas, have to be checked every few days no matter if the guest objects. Too much emphasis on the loser who has caused so much pain to so many and not on the victims.

And to all the so called experts here putting in their bit and trying to score point. You have obviously never had anyone close to you murdered by a loser with a gun. If you all feel so strongly about guns in France, go and protest at the next international arms fair in Paris. I do.
I understand fully what you are saying about weapons Isault, but not sure the beard and tattoo bit is quite relevant. Not all people with beards or tattoos or both, are gun toting killers.

I may or may not have a beard...........

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I understand fully what you are saying about weapons Isault, but not sure the beard and tattoo bit is quite relevant. Not all people with beards or tattoos or both, are gun toting killers.

I may or may not have a beard...........
Nothing in the least discriminatory against beards or tattoos. But it highlights the difference in how guns are viewed in the US. A very amateurish attitude towards regulations and accountability. I used to shoot and I did marksmanship for my DOE Gold. I also belonged when in Arizona to the Cave Creek Mounted Shooters. You ride a horse at speed and shoot targets.I changed and became an advocate against gun ownership unless really firmly regulated when a killing by gun effected me.

In the UK sporting gun ownership is not the realm of the ordinary person. It is that of a rich person or rural sports type. You go into a gun supplier and in the main they will be well be dressed in tweeds and brogues. You have to make an appointment and have proof of an active gun licence or application underway. You cannot just walk in and view a gun let alone buy a gun. The vetting of applicants is strict and clearance by the Firearms Officer can take months. Australia has tightened up its firearms laws and suicide by firearm rates have gone down.

In France gun laws are slightly less strict because of the Chasse culture. Yet, you do not get mass shootings by legal French gun owners. The concern here is the number of French Police officers who use their guns to end their own lives , far too many. I have no problem with the hunters here, it is their tradition.

Guns are just the method in the US in shooting innocent people, easy to get. Same as knives being used in London and in France, one gangs the other terrorists. The villains are the arms producers, dealers and those elected to protect everyone’s rights and lives. Unless they are made accountable the killings will go on.

There was an old film made I think called An American Gun. The history of the gun that killed his daughter was traced back through all its “owners” by the father. It is a very thought provoking film.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do the math - a little over 11,000 homicide gun deaths in 2014 in the US. But if you include suicides, the total rises to something over 33.000. 1800 times 5 only gives you 9000.
Cheers,
Bev
Compare that with less than 50 gun related homicides in Australia in 2016. :shocked:

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will say it again....those who like guns/want to buy a gun need help.

That is where we start.

It is not normal behaviour for someone to want to buy /own a gun.

People only buy guns because they want to kill something.

They want to kill !!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I will say it again....those who like guns/want to buy a gun need help.

That is where we start.

It is not normal behaviour for someone to want to buy /own a gun.

People only buy guns because they want to kill something.

They want to kill !!!!
No, there are sports people who practice the sport of marksmanship which is an Olympic sport. It has nothing to do with killing people or animals it is all about skill and discipline. The rifles are heavy, inexpensive and not what you could carry out in a street. Most are kept at the club or if the gun goes home the ammunition stays in the club.

It is wrong to try to band every person who enjoys a gun sport in the same category as the losers who carry out shootings in the US. It is the rot in American society that allows the right for all to carry a gun in public but on the other hand you will get arrested for carrying an open bottle of alcohol. They made a hero of an American sniper because he sat miles away and shot people. He was in turn shot dead by a fellow American.

If these losers could not get a gun they would make a bomb or poison people.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, there are sports people who practice the sport of marksmanship which is an Olympic sport.
It's a losers sport.

They should take up tennis, golf, snooker, rowing or whatever. FFS !!!

It is not even a spectators sport. Pointless.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Its hunting season again :) The joys of rural France.:eek: It is that time of year that a Sunday stroll in the countryside is not well advised.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20171004/hunter-shoots-dead-pensioner-he-mistook-for-a-boar
Do you ever try to read a French newspaper/news source?

I don't speak French (much) but I at least try to blunder my way through my local paper (Le Progres) every day.

Instead of referencing The Local (a fine source of information for English speakers) how about pointing out something from your local rag, which I understand is La Republique Du Centre?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

I don't speak French (much) but I at least try to blunder my way through my local paper (Le Progres) every day.

Instead of referencing The Local (a fine source of information for English speakers) how about pointing out something from your local rag, which I understand is La Republique Du Centre?
https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de...ent-blesse-dans-un-accident-de-chasse-5252794

Three in one day.

I rest Smeg's case.

Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
Its hunting season again The joys of rural France. It is that time of year that a Sunday stroll in the countryside is not well advised.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20171004/hun...ook-for-a-boar

Reactions: Smeg

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
I'm sorry to say a country that has allowed children to be slaughtered in its schools, a country that thinks owning an automatic rifle is a right, a country that kneels at the feet of the NRA, a country where men and women think owning a gun is "fun" is not going to change in the face of a mere 59 deaths and 500 injuries. Now had he shouted Alkabar............:rolleyes:

Respond to US guns figured obviously not France!

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is an English speaking website so it is better to link things in English to help people like yourself who probably don't understand what they are reading in French.

Tigerlilly has linked you something to read about 'La Chasse'.

It seems to me that you have a lot to learn about France. The Local is quite good in that respect. I think the articles are written by French journalists.

In terms of local French newspapers, well the first 3 pages tend to be filled with reports about people dying in car crashes. It gets boring after a while. ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Local is quite good in that respect. I think the articles are written by French journalists.
The Local, as good as it is, is a news aggregator with articles that are mostly gleaned from other news sources. The majority of the staff are bilingual UK/US nationals resident in the countries that they're writing about.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.