Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My subscription to GN is expiring this month, and I am seriously considering not to renew. The GN content is so shallow, priming often to much unfounded good news, and so much advertisement, that it is making the paper almost as thick as a telephone-book. For the past year, most of the daily issue's that we received were brought to recycling without even opening the plastic bag. We got 7day's, and read news on the internet..... we can miss GN, right?

Anyone else came to the same conclusion?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
My subscription to GN is expiring this month, and I am seriously considering not to renew. The GN content is so shallow, priming often to much unfounded good news, and so much advertisement, that it is making the paper almost as thick as a telephone-book. For the past year, most of the daily issue's that we received were brought to recycling without even opening the plastic bag. We got 7day's, and read news on the internet..... we can miss GN, right?

You are right - we just read 7 days (should be called 5 days!!) for free and the Gulf News website.
We sometimes buy the Friday edition - like reading a Sunday newspaper in the UK

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
858 Posts
The National is the best of a poor selection

GN isn't any more credible than 7days so it always amazes me that some people keep buying it..

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Having subscribed to both the GN and the National, I can say that the National is by far the best.
But like JJ said, its all relative - in truth the newspaper sucks.
I really used to like reading a newspaper, but its useless reading any. The only saving grace is that the National came with a free Entertainer book.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Many newspapers in others countries now charge online subscriptions to their websites - pretty sure it won't be long before the same starts to happen here.

I don't get why anyone would buy an actually paper these days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been subscribing to GN to 3 years and have not done the renewal; might most probably not.

Often find news which are a day old - I would have read them online the previous day itself during my lunch bread!

The supplements - most of the articles are a rip off from either an UK or US article, hence you will find suggestions for products and services which you will not here - why bother putting it then???

And yes, the amount of paper! Save the planet, you say?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I subscribe to The National, only because you get a free Entertainer book of your choice and the subscription is about the same price as the book which I would have bought anyway, so free newspapers!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Are they giving a free Entertainer with the 2014 subscription? Do you know when it's possible to sign up?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Budw said:
My subscription to GN is expiring this month, and I am seriously considering not to renew. The GN content is so shallow, priming often to much unfounded good news, and so much advertisement, that it is making the paper almost as thick as a telephone-book. For the past year, most of the daily issue's that we received were brought to recycling without even opening the plastic bag. We got 7day's, and read news on the internet..... we can miss GN, right? Anyone else came to the same conclusion?
Well I get Sport 360 delivered free, don't read it though!

Subscribe to telegraph for £10 per month, at least it is real news!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I go for The National and try to get that free entertainer booklet....

·
Registered
63 Posts

99% of all the news that is printed is on their website. So, it would be good to not renew the subscription. You won't be missing much apart from AED 400/- worth vouchers from the Apparel group!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
99% of all the news that is printed is on their website. So, it would be good to not renew the subscription. You won't be missing much apart from AED 400/- worth vouchers from the Apparel group!
Agreed. First thing I do every morning is to scan all the news websites. I do receive the papers in my hotel apartment as part of the package but I usually discard them except for FT because FT charges for online content.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts