Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Australians,

Kindly advise me. I want to travel from Perth to Sydney either by road or by train. What options do I have? Please share the estimated price/fares as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Hello Australians,

Kindly advise me. I want to travel from Perth to Sydney either by road or by train. What options do I have? Please share the estimated price/fares as well.
The train will take about 3 days and cost you about A$2000 per person.

No bus services that I am aware of, you could also take a rental car, 3 days hard driving (3300km), plus fuel and accommodation.

Which is why everybody takes a plane. About $300 on Virgin Australia.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply kaju. In the meantime, I came across the below mentioned website where it gives different train fares across Australia.

Australian Train Fares and Bookings

As per the information given there, the cheapest train ticket from Perth to Sydney (or vice versa) is Rail Saver Seat of The Indian Pacific train and it costs $651. Other compartments are Red Class $868, Gold Class $2178 (i think you mentioned it) and Platinum $3890.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Thanks for the reply kaju. In the meantime, I came across the below mentioned website where it gives different train fares across Australia.

Australian Train Fares and Bookings

As per the information given there, the cheapest train ticket from Perth to Sydney (or vice versa) is Rail Saver Seat of The Indian Pacific train and it costs $651. Other compartments are Red Class $868, Gold Class $2178 (i think you mentioned it) and Platinum $3890.
Investigate a little more perhaps. There's effectively nothing to do all day, can't open the windows, the Saver seats mean you may get a seat without a view and even Red Class means a seat for 3 days pretty much non-stop, no beds - not too comfortable.

Although Gold Class sounds impressive, it isn't really. There's enough room, but still a single compartment, they used to originally be the second class compartments so while they have enough space, they are not big. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Another very good website for such information is:
https://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm

Quoting from there:

What's it like on board the Indian Pacific and The Ghan?
The Indian Pacific & the Ghan use similar equipment. They both have two main classes of accommodation, Gold Service sleepers & Red Service reclining seats. Certain departures now feature a fourth premium class, Platinum Service sleepers. Which should you choose? If you want the 'experience of a lifetime' and can afford it, go Gold Service sleeper for all the comforts, complete with restaurant car meals included. Platinum Service gets you a bigger sleeper with (if you want one) a double bed, but Platinum passengers use the same lounge and restaurant as Gold passengers, and most of your day will be spent there. At the other extreme, if you're on a very tight budget, Red Service seats allow you to experience one of the world's great train journeys for not much more than you'd pay for a flight plus a hotel room or two. Unfortunately, Red Service sleepers, the economy sleeper option, were discontinued in 2013.

Red service sleeper (formerly Holiday Class)... Discontinued in April 2015
Red Service sleeper was discontinued on all departures in April 2015, along with the Red Service lounge car, so that Gold Sleeper capacity can be boosted.

Red Service reclining seats (formerly Economy Class)... Discontinued in July 2016
Red Service reclining seats were discontinued on all departures in April 2015. This leaves expensive Gold or Platinum sleepers as the only option, no budget option at all, a great shame and highly discriminatory against ordinary travellers on a budget.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Investigate a little more perhaps. There's effectively nothing to do all day, can't open the windows, the Saver seats mean you may get a seat without a view and even Red Class means a seat for 3 days pretty much non-stop, no beds - not too comfortable.

Although Gold Class sounds impressive, it isn't really. There's enough room, but still a single compartment, they used to originally be the second class compartments so while they have enough space, they are not big. :)
Upon more investigation I came to know that Red Class is also discontinued now. See my other reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts