Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! I am moving to Mexico on August 31st and have a lovely rental in San Miguel for 6 months while I search for my 'forever home.' I have visited Guanajuato only once, but immediately fell in love and want to seriously spend time there apartment/house hunting.

Would love to connect with anyone who is living there presently who can answer some questions and tell me why they chose to live there.

Thanks!

ReAnn

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Showering may be an issue due to radiation in the ground water. There are 46 municipalities or towns in Guanajuato, I'm not sure how each one is handling the problem.

A study carried out last October by the National Nuclear Research Institute (ININ) has confirmed the presence of alpha radiation at 300% above permissible levels in the water supply of the Guanajuato town of San José Iturbide.

For geohydrology expert Joel Carrillo the danger is not so much drinking the water but being exposed to it. Inhaling its vapors while taking a shower every day for six to 10 years, sometimes even less, is enough to be fatal. And what’s worse, he said, once its effects are noticed it’s too late to do anything.

The ININ report is also worrisome because in just 24 months Guanajuato went from 14th place to fourth in the number of diagnosed cancer cases in children.

The rapid growth of those cases has been defined by some as the clearest sign of a sanitary crisis. According to several reports, studies and analyses, the region’s water supply is polluted with arsenic, fluoride and now radioactivity.

This pollution implies two major health risks: dental and skeletal fluorosis and renal ailments. As many as 11,000 cases of the former have been reported in the area of the state known as the Cuenca de Independencia in the last 15 years. As for the latter, Guanajuato ranks in fifth place nationwide for the number of reported cases.

The effects of the contaminated water could extend well beyond state boundaries because businesses such as Pfizer, Colgate-Palmolive and Ferrero Rocher use the same water supply.

“The radiation, the fluoride and the arsenic all originate in the same kind of volcanic rock,” explained Carrillo, who is certain that many more aquifers in the region, if analyzed, would present the same levels of radioactivity.

Radiation an issue for Guanajuato town's water

Here is another report with more news.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/warning-issued-over-contaminated-aquifer/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good grief! This was not what I was expecting to learn about living in Guanajuato! Guess I had better stay in San Miguel.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Good grief! This was not what I was expecting to learn about living in Guanajuato! Guess I had better stay in San Miguel.
Don't shoot the messenger. :)

I'd go to Mexico News Daily and keep an eye there if you want to relocate. I think they are pretty truthful and have not heard anything negative about them. They do hard hitting stories about local conditions, crime and local concerns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you are saying don't move to Guanajuato unless I am prepared to die of cancer from the drinking water? Everyone has bottled water delivered weekly, so why would this be a problem if you just use this water?

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
So you are saying don't move to Guanajuato unless I am prepared to die of cancer from the drinking water? Everyone has bottled water delivered weekly, so why would this be a problem if you just use this water?
I'm not saying anything, the sources mentioned said it. That's why I said don't shoot the messenger.

I just remember this because I have friends from Guanajuato. The article points out inhaling the water while showering daily is causing cancer, unless you plan on showering with bottled water. Washing dishes probably has the same effect. 300 percent above permissible is pretty high.

But it could take six to ten years to get this cancer...For geohydrology expert Joel Carrillo the danger is not so much drinking the water but being exposed to it. Inhaling its vapors while taking a shower every day for six to 10 years, sometimes even less, is enough to be fatal. And what’s worse, he said, once its effects are noticed it’s too late to do anything.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts
One of the cited reports states that erionite is the source of the alpha radiation contamination. This would appear to be the result of some confusion on the part of the reporter. Erionite is similar to asbestos and has been a source of concern because of its fibrous particles, not because of its radioactive properties.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
One of the cited reports states that erionite is the source of the alpha radiation contamination. This would appear to be the result of some confusion on the part of the reporter. Erionite is similar to asbestos and has been a source of concern because of its fibrous particles, not because of its radioactive properties.
There is radioactivity and the reporter may be confused. Erionite may not be radioactive but it does cause lung cancer as well as mesothelomia according to several sources such as this one..

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/erionite

Back to Mexico News Daily, arsenic is also being found there.

Arsenic is a cause of cancer, and fluoride not only affects teeth but also the skeleton,” said the researcher.

“The age of water in these underground reservoirs is between 10,000 and 35,000 years, and the ‘younger’ waters have already been extracted,” explained Ortega.

He explained that naturally occurring pollutants such as arsenic, fluoride and sodium in deep, underground waters are now flowing to the surface, affecting human health.

Ortega said that high concentrations of naturally occurring radon, a radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless gas has also been detected, not only in groundwater used for human consumption, but also in the soil and air, in a radius of three kilometers surrounding San José.

Ortega claims that municipal and state authorities have blocked access to the main source of pollution detected, and that they have been remiss in not heeding the recommendations made by experts.

The National Water Commission (Conagua) has rejected the conclusion that radioactivity levels in the water supply were higher than acceptable, and has assured that the water is safe for human consumption.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stopping this thread immediately. I don't care about the toxic water problem. It's not what I asked about so if you two want to continue your conversation, fine, but get me off the list!

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Stopping this thread immediately. I don't care about the toxic water problem. It's not what I asked about so if you two want to continue your conversation, fine, but get me off the list!

You mentioned moving there, warning you of really bad health hazards in that area is no need to be upset at us.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi, Reanns. Good news in terms of you wanting to move to the city of Guanajuato. I read the original article in El Universal that Mexico News Daily cited as their source. The water with carcinogenic contaminants is not in Guanajuato City, but in Guanajuato state, and actually much closer to San Miguel de Allende than to Guanajuato City. The most affected area appears to be San José Iturbide, which is east of San Miguel, and specifically the small town of La Cantera, within the Municipality of San José Iturbide. The article also implies that the situation is much more of concern in rural areas where there are not water treatment plants to reduce contaminants, and where people are dependent on well water, because many wells in this region (including the San Miguel area) show high levels of potential carcinogens. The article attributes this at least in part to over exploitation of the aquifers in this region.

Based on the information in the original Spanish-language article, it seems the water in Guanajuato City is not something you need to worry about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good news

The article also implies that the situation is much more of concern in rural areas where there are not water treatment plants to reduce contaminants,
This is good news. I was getting worried that it seemed like the message might be that water all over Mexico might not be good enough for even showering.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Fine. Now take your 'gloom & doom' message somewhere else and let someone who can tell me about daily living there speak up!
I related a news story to you about the area, if it is doom and gloom I'm not the one who researched it, it was a study carried out last October by the National Nuclear Research Institute (ININ)

OK, on the positive side, I hear property and real estate is a real bargain there, and they are even considering offering free water.

This is bigger than our two egos. This forum is rapidly becoming, if not already, the "go to site" for people considering moving to Mexico. If a poster asks about a particular area and we know of some really serious problems there, (like 300% more radiation in the water than is acceptable) it is our duty to speak up about it. The property owners eager to move and the realtors sure aren't going to tell you about it. Hundreds of people in the future from America and Canada may do a search here on that area and this warning will appear, as it should.

The articles clearly say that the information is being repressed by the localities, probably because they can't do anything about it and don't want a panic in the local public. The article also says that the problem probably extends beyond the areas tested to the Chapala aquifer. If the truth and bad news offends you then I'm sorry.

If you want to move there I wish you the best, I just wanted you to know what you may be getting into. All of the news of Mexico is not rosy you know.

Does anyone know if they ever caught the tiger that escaped and was killing and eating horses?

Residents report tiger on loose in Campeche

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Tigers escape once in a while, one roamed in Guerrero for quite a while eating cows.. we never found out what happened to it and we probably will not heat about the one in Campeche either..after reading the article it appears it is the same tiger.. that was about a year ao.. I sure hope they got the tiger by ow.
I remember that the first few days the tiger escaped he got a couple of cows

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Just a thought on moving and investing anywhere in Mexico: There are no real estate related laws regarding disclosures such as people from the U.S. have been able to rely on. This can include lack of disclosure regarding dangerous situations, toxic surroundings and everything else, so don't shoot any messengers bringing less than good news about an area you're thinking of moving to. Thank them, assess the risk for yourself and proceed accordingly.

The area you're looking into is rich with many things; history, culture and scenery. I lived there for several years (SMA) and moved to the Lake Chapala Area for the lower altitude and better climate.
Others are fine with the chilly winters in those upper altitudes. Just be aware of all the factors when you're looking for a home. Most real estate sells slowly in Mexico, so decisions regretted take a long time to undo.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I didn't find this thread until after it turned into something else.
For the OP:
Although we don't live in Guanajuato currently, we did live there for 5 years up until only 3 years ago. We loved it. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer as best I can. I will say that we didn't turn radioactive and we showered every single day.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
You guys managed to scare the OP away with all that ranting
The truth you mean? I thought I was doing them a favor. If the water is that polluted in a place that I was considering moving to I would thank someone for telling me. The truth is not a rant.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
OK, wait a minute. I finally had a chance to read the article to find out what it was about.

It isn't even remotely about Guanajuato City. It is about San Jose Iturbide, which is a small town over 120 km away from Guanajuato City, and it has to do with their municipal water supply, not some statewide water crisis. SJI is much closer to Queretaro or San Miguel than it is to Guanajuato City.

I'm sorry, Zorro2017, but I can't agree with your posting of it here, especially as a response to a forum newbie, without explaining what was really in the article. I am going to PM reanns to see if I can rescue them as a forum participant.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts