Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be arriving in GDL on the 22nd of Dec.. getting a rental car at airport($300 for two weeks????)... need recommendation for low-cost(but safe/clean) hotel to spend the night... then headed west to visit small villages/pueblos to preselect sites for future/detailed evaluation... I want to retire(12/2010) somewhere near a town/city with medical facilities/large grocery stores/universities and some social activities.. someplace within a reasonable bus ride that I could make say once a month... I want to rent a casita for a short while to make sure of my choice and then purchase an appropriate casita with room for a garden and my dog... any suggestions/recommendations will be considered and thank you

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If your Spanish is limited or non-existant you might want to start out in the Lake Chapala area. Almost everything else is pure Mexican and can be very difficult to adjust to - with or without Spanish skills

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your Spanish is limited or non-existant you might want to start out in the Lake Chapala area. Almost everything else is pure Mexican and can be very difficult to adjust to - with or without Spanish skills
my spanish is at least adequate... and I have been to GDL enough to know that Lake Chapala is not mexican enough!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
my spanish is at least adequate... and I have been to GDL enough to know that Lake Chapala is not mexican enough!!!
Maybe the other side of the lake, though it is a pretty broad statement to make of all Lake Chapala. There are vast differences between Ajijic, Chapala and Jocotepec, for example.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the other side of the lake, though it is a pretty broad statement to make of all Lake Chapala. There are vast differences between Ajijic, Chapala and Jocotepec, for example.
Ajijic, Chapala and Jocotepecme are not Mexican enough and I do not want to be surrounded by expats... I am thinking somewhere at least an hour west of GDL and a hour east of the Pacific coast.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have not been there, but I have read very nice things about Colima, Colima

It sounds like it might fit your criteria and have the advantage of a Uninversity, museums, wonderful parks and other cultural and recreational facilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.