Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, posting to a group forum is something new to me. I thought it would be a good thing to do as part of the next journey in our lives.

We are in Chicago, in our 50s, married with a 24 year old daughter who has recently studied abroad in Seville. We are now considering a permanent move to Spain for the next part of our life, leaving the US behind, just the three of us.

Health care and various logistics are on our mind. I am looking at somewhat of an early retirement while my daughter continues to further her education and begin a life of her own.

I look forward to perhaps connecting with various Expats and posting questions for feedback along the way.

Kind regards,
dbandg

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Hello, posting to a group forum is something new to me. I thought it would be a good thing to do as part of the next journey in our lives.

We are in Chicago, in our 50s, married with a 24 year old daughter who has recently studied abroad in Seville. We are now considering a permanent move to Spain for the next part of our life, leaving the US behind, just the three of us.

Health care and various logistics are on our mind. I am looking at somewhat of an early retirement while my daughter continues to further her education and begin a life of her own.

I look forward to perhaps connecting with various Expats and posting questions for feedback along the way.

Kind regards,
dbandg
Hi :)

Have you looked at your visa options?

When you say somewhat early retirement, will you still need to work or will you meet the income requirement for the non-lucrative visa without working?

Has your daughter attended a Spanish university or a satellite campus of her American university in Seville?

Is she going to enroll in a Spanish university for a Masters Degree or PhD? What are her plans for after completion of the program?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hello, and welcome! I'm from Boston, married to a Spaniard and with two 20 something kids, and I live in the Seville area. So it seems we have quite a bit in common.

You'll get a better response if you ask specific questions.

But I can help by saying that the first step in your journey should be to investigate the various visa options. Check out the website of the Spanish consulate in Chicago, which is the one you will deal with. Most likely you will need what's called a non-lucrative visa, aka a retirement visa. This will allow you to live here, but not to work. Since your daughter is a legal adult she will have to obtain a visa in her own right. You mentioned that she would like to study here so the option for her would be a student visa.

You also mentioned health care. As part of the visa requirements you will need to get comprehensive, all inclusive health insurance (a policy that covers everything and with no co-pay). There are numerous Spanish companies that offer this, and if you have no pre-existing conditions they are shockingly cheap - on the order of 50€/month. The health care itself in Spain is top-notch.

Jump in and ask any other questions you may have!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts