Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all pat here well thats my house up for sale my ? is if my house doesnt sell can we come over to usa to validate our visas then come back and how long does it take to get your greencard once you have done the immagration thing thanks in advance:plane:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
hi all pat here well thats my house up for sale my ? is if my house doesnt sell can we come over to usa to validate our visas then come back and how long does it take to get your greencard once you have done the immagration thing thanks in advance:plane:
Best to stay 3 weeks or more and get yourself resident: social security card, driver license, library card, bank account, etc. Card will probably arrive within 3 weeks -- but even if it doesn't, the stamp in your passport is good for up to 1 year.

It's okay returning to the UK to wait for your house to sell, but try to keep the time out under 6 months. All houses will sell -- you just have to price them correctly. BTW, by selling your house after you become PRs, you could open yourself up to US CGT liability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best to stay 3 weeks or more and get yourself resident: social security card, driver license, library card, bank account, etc. Card will probably arrive within 3 weeks -- but even if it doesn't, the stamp in your passport is good for up to 1 year.

It's okay returning to the UK to wait for your house to sell, but try to keep the time out under 6 months. All houses will sell -- you just have to price them correctly. BTW, by selling your house after you become PRs, you could open yourself up to US CGT liability.
thanks for that i am sure my house will sell i just wanted to cover all sinario i think thats how you spell that[} our visas are valid til feb we will be buying a house soon after we get there so we want have the money for long i thought you get so long before they tax you on it

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
thanks for that i am sure my house will sell i just wanted to cover all sinario i think thats how you spell that[} our visas are valid til feb we will be buying a house soon after we get there so we want have the money for long i thought you get so long before they tax you on it
Depending on where you're heading, houses in many places are a bargain at the moment. Here in Phoenix, we're at or lower than prices a decade ago. Might be worth taking a bigger loss in the UK if you're just going to plough the money back into a property.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on where you're heading, houses in many places are a bargain at the moment. Here in Phoenix, we're at or lower than prices a decade ago. Might be worth taking a bigger loss in the UK if you're just going to plough the money back into a property.
we are heading to california to be with my sons and grankids we are already taken a hit with property a case of swings and rounabouts thanks for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts