Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently hold a green card and have been in the US from sometime. I am moving back to the UK in January with my family (wife is american). If i surrender my green card will i be able to re-apply at later date (say 5 years from now) without issue?? We will be leaving nbank accounts open here and also I have an IRA with 100+K in it I plan on leaving here aswell.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
I currently hold a green card and have been in the US from sometime. I am moving back to the UK in January with my family (wife is american). If i surrender my green card will i be able to re-apply at later date (say 5 years from now) without issue?? We will be leaving nbank accounts open here and also I have an IRA with 100+K in it I plan on leaving here aswell.

Living outside of the US for 5 years or more will make your Green Card invalid. Indeed, staying outside of the US for more than 6 months can get the attention of the Immigration department who may feel you have abandoned your residency in the US. Applying for a re-entry permit may offset this risk, but I believe the permit is only valid for two years.

So you will not be able to re-enter the US, if and when you decide to return, as a Green card holder.

However, with an American wife there is no reason you cannot enter on a spouse visa if you fulfill the necessary immigration requirements at the time.

How long have you lived in the US? Enough time to get naturalisation?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Im eligable for naturalization, but I dont beleive I have the time to complete it. Im leaving December 26th.
The process usually takes about three months, so out of time I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Download Form I-407. You can return form and card at the local USCIS field office (make an appointment!) or at the US embassy nearest you in the UK. Make sure to keep records of this voluntary abandonment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, if you file the naturalization papers now and keep a residence in the U.S. you can still become a citizen. In other words, you can file your N-400 and do the fingerprinting, then spend time with your spouse in the UK, and then return to the U.S. once it's time to do the interview and oath ceremony. As long as you keep an address in the U.S. and have someone there who can receive letters for you, this will be ok. I'm speaking of experience. The only thing you cannot do is abandon your U.S. residence while this is pending. There are also ways how you can expedite your process, for example by showing up for the fingerprinting earlier than the date they give you. Check citizenship tracker to get an idea how long approximately it will take in your area. With a little luck, it could go as fast as 3 months if you're really behind this and have all your paperwork in order.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There is no expedite for a citizenship application

turn up early and they can send you away
at any busy office ..a quieter one maybe
there is also a continuous resident rule

1 - 8 of 8 Posts