Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the earliest I can apply for a green card I have been in the US for 8 months on a company sponsored L1 visa and my relocation package runs out in just 10 months so I need to decide whether to stay or go back home .
I will sell up in the UK but only if I can get a green card to make this permanent
My company want me to stay and will pay all costs but want to make sure I know all the facts
Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You can apply now. And depending on your job/qualifications, getting the Employment Based green card will take somewhere between this summer and over 6 or 7 years.
Do you know if they will file under EB-1, EB-2 or EB-3?

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
When is the earliest I can apply for a green card I have been in the US for 8 months on a company sponsored L1 visa and my relocation package runs out in just 10 months so I need to decide whether to stay or go back home .
I will sell up in the UK but only if I can get a green card to make this permanent
My company want me to stay and will pay all costs but want to make sure I know all the facts
Thanks in anticipation
What are these facts that you need to know?

Is there any reason why you should not get a Green card if your company applies for one? Apart from the time it takes - and that depends on the filing they do; management/executive positions on EB-1's don't go through the Department of Labour and have a a shorter time span - I don't know of anyone who has been refused their Green card through employment.

There is a lot of paperwork involved in the process.

You could have asked you company to start the application as soon as you started the job.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks in anticipation
You company can apply anytime

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys seems I should speak to HR about this I was trying to delay speaking to them as to look for an extension on my deal but probably need to bite the bullet
I am the VP of a large company so from your replays seems like there should not be too much of a problem
Appreciate your reply

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Thanks guys seems I should speak to HR about this I was trying to delay speaking to them as to look for an extension on my deal but probably need to bite the bullet
I am the VP of a large company so from your replays seems like there should not be too much of a problem
Appreciate your reply
Could it be that upon you getting your Green card you will be on US terms and conditions, salary, taxes etc and that your re-location package (with maybe additional benefits) will cease at that point?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crawford said:
Could it be that upon you getting your Green card you will be on US terms and conditions, salary, taxes etc and that your re-location package (with maybe additional benefits) will cease at that point?
Great point that would be a great proposal to put forward thanks for that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts