Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a terrific day on Friday being shown around the Cost del Sol west of Marbella by mrypg9 whom I met here on the expatforum-Spain site. I'm here for (at least) six weeks, my first visit, in consideration of Andalucia as a potential winter home. Now I have another alternative to consider: living in an apartment on the coast during the winter months that I can rent out during the high-season. This way-to-go is, of course, frought with perils as are all options - except, perhaps, simply renting a home every winter. (I'm also considering buying a stand-alone home here in the campo, 30 miles inland or living aboard a sailboat at a CdS marina somewhere...would buy the boat and probably rent it out summers as well...am also considering just utilizing house-swapping sites or simply renting every winter...) On the up-side, IF the apt rents out well during summer, my cost to live there becomes essentially zero, leaving only re-sale value/likelihood as real considerations. BUT. There are so many 'buts'... so many people in line b4 any rent $$$ comes to me - management gets 23% up front plus the per-cleaning costs (the up side of this arrangement is, I'm back in the US, and I don't have to even think about the place - everything's taken care of). Then there are the taxes - oh man...sooo many taxes. (Although to be fair, this is a consideration regardless of where in Spain one buys, isn't it?) And the Association fees. And the Asoc. itself: There's a Big Brew Ha Ha going on right now between the rank-and-file property owners and the homeowners' Asoc. Board/President back in northern Michigan where I own two lots - you know that thing about, 'you give some people a little authority'... so that Board's been taken over by nazi-types who really need to get a life... and are just making life miserable by poking their big noses in what should be (and legally is, actually) the private business of asoc. members, telling us every little thing that we can and cannot do with our own bleeding property... So what's to say I don't step into the exact same mess here in Spain? And on the face of it, it's crazy - I'm on a fixed income, and even though I would be buying outright an apartment in this 1970's complex (which is, I'm told a plus in itself, though I can't remember exactly why) folks like me shouldn't get involved where Asoc. fees apply because they - unlike my income - always eventually go Up (although, so does / can rent, so, what's that....a wash?). Then there's the whole frenetic pace of life on the shore thing - which is true; life inland - here, near Riogordo/Colmenar/Comares, for example - is far more 'me'...laid back, genteel... On the other hand... I saw Gibralter for the first time from the beach that is a 30-second walk from one of the up-for-sale apartments. Beach is good! One has to take all the talk about the Costa being dense and frenzied w/ a grain of salt - this is true everywhere...I found no difference between driving along the Costa and driving along the coasts in Florida, California, or even Michigan for that matter although to a lesser degree and with notable exceptions. Also...As everywhere in the world now, I could get any one of several apts for a song, that being an especially good thing as a song - thanks to the depressed Market where I'm trying to sell MY house - is about what I've got! So many more pluses. So many more minuses. But...and this is the only 'but' that matters here: I came here to learn... to discover alternatives I never could have known about by just sitting at home, surfing the web... and this site, and one of its amazing members, flat out of the goodness of her heart, invited me to spend a day with her, and as a result, I've seen a slice of Spanish living I never would have otherwise. And made an amazingly cool, new friend! Friday is a day I will never forget, and not just because of all the photos I took! I drove from the Malaga airport to Comares on my first night here, and though I've been driving off to a different village every day since, Friday was my first long day trip... Just the drive in and back has increased my confidence as far as feeling more comfortable driving longer distances alone. Although, I admit that at times, all I could think about were the accounts by Gerald Brenan in his book, South Of Granada, that I am reading now, in which he speaks of all the concerns about bandits as he traversed Andalucia a hundred years ago! Newbies like me hear so many, varying accounts, and we lack the experience to discern the likely from the unlikely! But I made it. I did it. Banditry Potential notwithstanding. So thank you, mrypg9....a million thanks, for a great day and for making my visit to Spain far more than it would have otherwise been! :kiss:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,i know this is probably the wrong thread to come in on but does anyone know the rules/regs on bringing a rhd van over to southern Spain,is it better to have a lhd vehicle ? or does it not matter

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Hi,
You're right, :) it's not the right place. Start a new thread by going back to the main Spain page and below the flags and above the yellow stickies on the left there's a new thread icon. Click on that
OR
Better still search the forum - icon on right hand side somewhere because this has come up many many times before and recently too so you just need to read all the info and ask if you have any doubts after, OK?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
You're right, :) it's not the right place. Start a new thread by going back to the main Spain page and below the flags and above the yellow stickies on the left there's a new thread icon. Click on that
OR
Better still search the forum - icon on right hand side somewhere because this has come up many many times before and recently too so you just need to read all the info and ask if you have any doubts after, OK?
Cheers Pesky,will do,thanks for the info !

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Sounds like you were regally "entertained". Great that somebody will put themselves out so much for another member of the forum. What a nice person!

Yes, a few more decisions but at least you can make your final decision based on FACTS!

BTW, I think there are more bandits now than there were at the time of that book ......although most now have two filofaxes, two mobiles and call themselves agents, property developers etc

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi,i know this is probably the wrong thread to come in on but does anyone know the rules/regs on bringing a rhd van over to southern Spain,is it better to have a lhd vehicle ? or does it not matter
Yes, as Pesky says you're not really in the right place. But in answer to your question no RHD vans are fine if you're doing a drop off and taking it straight back, but not for permanent use here - certainly not commercially

Put a new thread up and I'm sure you'll get some more conclusive and detailed answers!!!

Jo xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.