Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I am really happy to share with you all that I got my 189 Grant recently!!

But now I feel a little blank about what to do next - a lot of questions comes to my mind:

1. Is october or november a good time to go for a job search in Australia?
2. For a project manager in IT field, is Melbourne better or Sydney?
3. How to find accomodation?
4. How much money should I carry with me for the job search period?
5. I got my grant notification through email. Are there any other formalities I need to do to get my e-Visa?
6. Is there a whatsapp group / any other platform where I may find other new PR holders planning to go to australia in october?

I am sorry if these questions were already answered in some other thread, but I couldn't find any such thread here.

Any opinions for my questions are most welcome. Looking forward...

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello Guys,

But now I feel a little blank about what to do next - a lot of questions comes to my mind:

5. I got my grant notification through email. Are there any other formalities I need to do to get my e-Visa?

6. Is there a whatsapp group / any other platform where I may find other new PR holders planning to go to australia in october?

I am sorry if these questions were already answered in some other thread, but I couldn't find any such thread here.

Thanks.

Congrats on your grant.

1) To me, there is no set period for job hunt. Oct should be fine as many would switch jobs or go on long leaves etc.

2) Both are okay. Melbourne is a bit cheaper in terms of renting.

3) Initial accommodation via Airbnb and then through local rental websites like gumtree etc

4) it depends how lucky you are. I carried 15 L INR via various accounts

5) nothing. Make sure you also do the VEVO and print out copies of vevo and visa grants.

6) I am in Adelaide and part of few groups. You may search for Melbourne or Sydney groups in this forum. People may add you before you land.

Lastly, be prepared to do any IT job not just project management.

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello Guys,

Thanks.
In my opinion,
1. Before November is better. You would be able to save couple of hundred dollars on Flight tickets as Flights are expensive around Christmas. A lot of people go on leaves around November/Mid December. This could be good chance for you to secure a temporary/contract job and get your feet on the ground for a couple of months until you find a permanent job.

2. There are more IT companies in Sydney

3. Flatmates, Real Estate

4. This depends on person to person. For a moderate lifestyle, assuming you move to Sydney. Accommodation cost in Sydney is around $300 weekly. Living Expenses $200. Commuting $50. Making it $550 Weekly. In my opinion, one should carry enough for 6 months as it might take anywhere from 15 days to 6 months to secure a stable job. $550x4x6 = $13200.

5. Carry a copy of your Grant Letter and a copy of VEVO Visa Entitlement while traveling. On my first trip to Australia, I was asked for Visa Copy at Singapore Airport. I didn't have it as this is an e-visa. Luckily I had a copy in a USB drive. Got the print out at the airport and showed it to them.

6. This is a better forum for all your questions.
Life in Australia

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hello Guys,

Thanks.
1. Best period of finding jobs are after Jan.. During November and December, Aussie celebrate Christmas and most of industries will have long vacations.
2. As per my friend Sydney is better for IT field.
3. Online websites and local news papers. Best is to find some references before moving.
4.. If u dnt have any relative there, then at least 2lac INR per member.
5.Just e-visa is ok.
6.I dnt knw.

Reactions: mchandna

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on your grant.

1) To me, there is no set period for job hunt. Oct should be fine as many would switch jobs or go on long leaves etc.

2) Both are okay. Melbourne is a bit cheaper in terms of renting.

3) Initial accommodation via Airbnb and then through local rental websites like gumtree etc

4) it depends how lucky you are. I carried 15 L INR via various accounts

5) nothing. Make sure you also do the VEVO and print out copies of vevo and visa grants.

6) I am in Adelaide and part of few groups. You may search for Melbourne or Sydney groups in this forum. People may add you before you land.

Lastly, be prepared to do any IT job not just project management.

All the best

Thank you for the reply Bullet2424!!

Is Adelaide also an IT hub? would it be worth considering coming to Adelaide for job hunt?

Also, does anyone know of any local (australian) job consultant whom I can get in touch with from India for my job search before coming to Australia?

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion,
1. Before November is better. You would be able to save couple of hundred dollars on Flight tickets as Flights are expensive around Christmas. A lot of people go on leaves around November/Mid December. This could be good chance for you to secure a temporary/contract job and get your feet on the ground for a couple of months until you find a permanent job.

4. This depends on person to person. For a moderate lifestyle, assuming you move to Sydney. Accommodation cost in Sydney is around $300 weekly. Living Expenses $200. Commuting $50. Making it $550 Weekly. In my opinion, one should carry enough for 6 months as it might take anywhere from 15 days to 6 months to secure a stable job. $550x4x6 = $13200.

5. Carry a copy of your Grant Letter and a copy of VEVO Visa Entitlement while traveling. On my first trip to Australia, I was asked for Visa Copy at Singapore Airport. I didn't have it as this is an e-visa. Luckily I had a copy in a USB drive. Got the print out at the airport and showed it to them.

Life in Australia
Thanks VJSharma!!

I like the logic behind your first answer - It increases my hopes!

And thank you for the specific calculations.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If anyone knows any nice job consultant whom I can get in tough with from India, please let me know...

Thanks!
Just google recruitment agencies in Sydney.
Send them your resume. Sign up with them. Government registered recruitment firms get paid from the government to find their candidates jobs in their respective fields.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thank you for the reply Bullet2424!!

Is Adelaide also an IT hub? would it be worth considering coming to Adelaide for job hunt?

Also, does anyone know of any local (australian) job consultant whom I can get in touch with from India for my job search before coming to Australia?

Thanks!

No Adelaide isn't an IT hub. You may find it pretty difficult to secure a job in IT.

HAYS is doing well in Australia these days. None of the IT recruiters would be interested in your profile unless you are physically present in Australia.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hello Guys,

Thanks.
congratulations. i cant answer all as im rather new too

1. agreed a pointed some of the members here, nov to jan is not a good time to look for jobs.
5. download the vevo application to your phone.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hello Guys,

Thanks.
I'm unsure whether to shake your hand for being so brave or shake my head in disbelief. You seem to have little idea of what you are heading into. I strongly recommend you take the time to research the cities, culture, economies, job markets, etc. The vibe in Sydney is very different to, say, Perth. Likewise the types of industry (financial is strong in Sydney, less so in other cities, as an example). Before you book your tickets you need to have a sensible game plan. Learn about the suburbs you might live in, typical take-home pay, typical costs. Research on Seek, etc. the typical pay for such roles, the ratio of applicants vs roles. In short, arm yourself with knowledge.

Reactions: commie_rick

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my opinion,

Life in Australia
Hi,

The amount you have mentioned, is that per person?

Rseards,
Sourabh

·
Registered
71 Posts
What next after invitation?

Hello guys,
I have received Invitation to apply. What is the next process?
Do we need to do medicals before, I mean to say can we book our medicals before applying for visa? Dont they need Visa Application number or anything?
Do we need to fill for 80 or any other form along with Application?
Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.