Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to sponsor my parents on contributory parent visa. Can my parents include my sister's children as dependents. My sister is divorced for past 1 year and my father supports the grandchildren and my sister financially. My sister's exhusband is in middle east holding a good job but he is not helping my sister's and her kids. Both the children are minor and studying. My sister does a small job but doesnt make enough to support herself and her kids. Please advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am an Australian Citizen. I want to sponsor my parents on contributory parent visa. Can my parents include my sister's children as dependents. My sister is divorced for past 1 year and my father supports the grandchildren and my sister financially. My sister's ex husband is in middle east holding a good job but he is not helping my sister's and her kids financially and they live in my father's home as well. Both the children are minor and studying. My sister does a small job but doesnt make enough to support herself and her kids. My father is retired but has good income. Please advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply. I was assuming my sister wonot be considered as dependent. However, Form 47pa says the contributory parent visa applicant can include other relative as dependent if they are substantially or wholly dependent on them, which the grandchildren are. Also according to migration booklet the term "relative" include grandchildren. Also asked one of the immigration lawyers he said there are 50 50 chances. If i call Australian Immigration customer service can they clarify or should i consult another lawyer.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
sir, don't waste your time and money. Your nephews/nieces are your SISTER'S dependents.

Only if she relinquishes or loses their custody to your parents, and the kids are wholly/substantially dependent on your parents MORE THAN anyone else (and dependency is not merely financial), then they can be your parent's dependents.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If your sister had died and the children's father had no legal custody of the children then they would be considered your grandparents dependants. While your sister is alive they are her responsibility

1 - 6 of 6 Posts