Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have arrived in Gran Canaria the 2 days ago.

I have been asking around and looking online but keep getting conflicting information as to what I need to do in terms of paperwork etc.

I managed to get a rental contract with just my passport but I believe for a bank or phone contract etc. I need more.

I am employed with a UK company working from home in Gran Canaria.

I have been told that I need to get NIE number, I believe this can be obtained from the police station in San Fernando, some sources say to queue up early morning and others say to go in at any time to apply and it takes several days to process, some even say that I do not need NIE at all, I am very confused as to what I need to do, can someone shed some light onto this please?

Thank you

·
Administrator
36,074 Posts
Hello,

I have arrived in Gran Canaria the 2 days ago.

I have been asking around and looking online but keep getting conflicting information as to what I need to do in terms of paperwork etc.

I managed to get a rental contract with just my passport but I believe for a bank or phone contract etc. I need more.

I am employed with a UK company working from home in Gran Canaria.

I have been told that I need to get NIE number, I believe this can be obtained from the police station in San Fernando, some sources say to queue up early morning and others say to go in at any time to apply and it takes several days to process, some even say that I do not need NIE at all, I am very confused as to what I need to do, can someone shed some light onto this please?

Thank you
because you're living & working in Spain you're actually required to register as resident

for that you'll have to prove income/sufficient finds in a Spanish bank account & also that you have healthcare provision

when you register you'll be issued a NIE number

since you're living & working here for a UK company I'd check out your tax situation very carefully

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because you're living & working in Spain you're actually required to register as resident

for that you'll have to prove income/sufficient finds in a Spanish bank account & also that you have healthcare provision

when you register you'll be issued a NIE number

since you're living & working here for a UK company I'd check out your tax situation very carefully
Many thanks for your response, how do I go about doing this? I can't get a spanish bank account without registering and I can't register without showing income in a spanish bank account, it's all very confusing :)

·
Administrator
36,074 Posts
Many thanks for your response, how do I go about doing this? I can't get a spanish bank account without registering and I can't register without showing income in a spanish bank account, it's all very confusing :)

you should be able to open a non-resident account with your passport - have money paid into that

you have 90 days to register - well, 88 more ;)

if you can't find a bank which won't let you without a NIE, then you'll just have to get a NIE first & open an account & then register as resident afterwards

take a look in our FAQs & useful info thread for more info

also bear in mind that 181 days from now you'll officially be tax resident

1 - 5 of 5 Posts