Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am considering buying a GPS as I drive a lot for work and spend most of my time getting lost.

Does anybody have any experience with them here. i'm not sure how well it will work with no postcodes etc?

Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying one?

I do have maps on my phone but my phone is not very good and it is very unreliable.

Thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
Google maps? Best thing since sliced bread...

You can also use Waze on your phone, its pretty good too...

If I were you, I would invest in a better phone... and a $10 car charger and phone car cradle from fleabay that you can hook into the a/c vent...

Google maps is great on my Samsung...

Edit:

This is the app I was talking about... its free and has community edited maps, which are pretty up to date...

http://www.waze.com/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. it is also the case I am constantly on my phone as I work in sales.

you are right though I do need a new phone.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Then get two phones!! You will then look like every other person in the UAE!

I have met very few people who have just one phone, and none who have no phone...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, very true. I am behind the times (I still even have a blackberry). Shhhh don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a look at Nokia phones, I use the ovi maps for satnav, the maps are free to download and use... not only Dubai but worldwide. Think they are called Here maps on the nokia Lumia range.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Google maps? Best thing since sliced bread...

You can also use Waze on your phone, its pretty good too...

If I were you, I would invest in a better phone... and a $10 car charger and phone car cradle from fleabay that you can hook into the a/c vent...

Google maps is great on my Samsung...

Edit:

This is the app I was talking about... its free and has community edited maps, which are pretty up to date...

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze
I use a Garmin and a get coordinates off of Google Maps to plug in. Once I am actually at a destination I then save it to favorites. Coordinates work well but the Garmin also has the major/minor places like "Times Square Mall", ect.

Many places will send you a map that often is nearly useless but you can then match it up to Google Maps, right click and get the coordinates.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,904 Posts
I use a Garmin and a get coordinates off of Google Maps to plug in. Once I am actually at a destination I then save it to favorites. Coordinates work well but the Garmin also has the major/minor places like "Times Square Mall", ect.

Many places will send you a map that often is nearly useless but you can then match it up to Google Maps, right click and get the coordinates.
Agreed - that is exactly what i do, as well.
I like the Garmin - as it shows you the speed limits and a display giving your current speed.
This has certainly saved me from fines when travelling along unfamiliar routes!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 for google maps which can also show traffic delays. If you're on the phone a lot and don't have integrated bluetooth in your car I would recommend one of these (I bought mine at Sharef DG sometime ago) which plug into the AUX on the car stereo (assuming you have one!) basically turning your stereo into a giant phone speaker. Works great for playing music too! :drum:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Guys, I am considering buying a GPS as I drive a lot for work and spend most of my time getting lost.

Does anybody have any experience with them here. i'm not sure how well it will work with no postcodes etc?

Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying one?

I do have maps on my phone but my phone is not very good and it is very unreliable.

Thanks
In General Satnav in UAE not very accurate due to the continues work on the road.
i never used one my self , learned the way around after getting lost to many times .

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a Garmin Montana, but I mostly use it in the desert - still very good around town, but the maps need to be bought separately. Satellite imagery (another purchase, but cheap) is also very good for orientating yourself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get a used Nokia N8 on dubizzle (the sell for under AED 500). You can preload the maps of a country for free at home, and then you can use the GPS to navigate in the city...meaning you don't need a data package on our phone (which is something that you do need on Samsung/iPhone).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts