Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can I send my daughter who will turn 5 by June to year 1 in public primary school in NSW?
Do I have to stay in near by area ?
We will be going to Oz under 457 visa in late May.
Please kindly advise.

rgds
LimHH

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,
No, to be eligible to start Primary School in NSW children turn 5 on or before 30 July of the year they start i.e. they start in Jan 2012 and turn 5 before 30 July 2012. The first year of Primary School in NSW is called Kindergarten. So, if you arrive in May your daughter will be in Kindergarten, she will be joining part way through the year, she will move into Year 1 in January 2013.
It's worth mentioning that by NSW standards your daughter will be young joining Kindergarten aged 4 (nearly 5). In NSW children don't have to attend school until they are aged 6, many families wait until children are 5 (nearly 6) for them to join Kindergarten.
We're from the UK and started our son 'young' (4.5) and it has worked out fine but it I was worried how it would turn out.
Are you aware that you have to pay public school fees in NSW on a 457 visa? Currently $4,500 per year for Primary School (plus uniform etc).
All the best with your plans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the tips.
Although we are now in Japan, she actually has been studied in British school and in fact learning year 1 material based on her progress in the kindergarten.
Yes, I was told I have to pay for school fee but also heard I can claim back some when I become PR. Is it true?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,
Interesting question. I know you don't pay these school tuition fees once you become PR but I haven't heard of people claiming the fees back. I'll ask around.
In my experience school Principals in Aus like to put children with the correct age group i.e. your daughter will be in Kindergarten even if her academic abilities are more advanced. Teachers are very used to teaching to different levels, so she should still be stretched \ challenged. You could ask how this will be handled when you visit schools.
I'll let you know if I learn anything about reclaiming temporary resident tuition fees.
All the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very glad to hear that some of the schools are flexible enough to stretch and challenge the students based on each progress.
Please kindly advise if you have any other relevant info.
Your kind thought is very much appreciated. Thanks very much:)
Have a nice day!

·
Registered
346 Posts
A_New_Chapter_In_Life said:
I am very glad to hear that some of the schools are flexible enough to stretch and challenge the students based on each progress.
Please kindly advise if you have any other relevant info.
Your kind thought is very much appreciated. Thanks very much:)
Have a nice day!
Shussel is correct. However it is quite important to select a good school for your child. Not all public schools are the same, some are much better than private schools and some are worse.

A lot of Japanese live Nirth Shore of Sydney, and schools there are excellent in general

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.