Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Members,

I guess the second nightmare after PR grant is the actual moving out to Australia phase.

We tried to make a plan and started with Plan A, we are done till Plan G. I guess very soon we will complete till Z and start all over again with new plans starting A1 and go on and on :)

Husband - Little outdated software technology with 10+ years experience, planning to build skills in 6 months
Wife - Good technical software skills with 5+ years IT experience, but jobless post maternity gap

Plan A- Husband has home EMI(so cant risk of leaving current job), so Wife leave to OZ with 1 year old baby. Wife mother will travel in tourist VISA to take care of daughter and grand daughter. Husband joins Wife once she settle down

Plan B- Husband stays, while wife leaves all alone to find a job in OZ. Husband and baby joins in OZ once Wife finds a job

Plan C- Vice versa of Plan B, but if husband not finding a job in OZ then risk of losing current job, losing interest in OZ migration in future, India commitments grown u as a burden

Plan D- Wife finds a job in India, Hubby local commitments supported by Wife, meanwhile hubby finds job in OZ

Plan E- All 3 start immediately, to play a luck game and if don't succeed then come back after 3 months and start job search in India all over again.

Plan F- I don't remember this plan, will edit as I remember

Plan G- Both Husband and Wife work in India, making their tour to OZ before IED date. Save money and move permanently while comfortable, to survive without a job for 3 months, baby also 3+ years old(no need of daycare)

Please suggest which plan is good based on your experience or rank the plans if you have time. Also introduce new plans so it can benefit family people.

Don't comment on Plan Z~(infinity) which is, why did I apply or plan for a PR with so many commitments in first place?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi Shorefisher,
First of all let me commend you for having so many plans ready.
You have made my job so much easier. I now have all the plans ready from your points.

We are still in the invitation round stage and still everyday we come up with a new plan as yours.

here is what I think.
As Australia will be a strange country for us it is always better that you being a male make the first move. As you will be able to survive alone and even can live in shared accommodation for the initial stages and survive on less money.You may need to travel a lot maybe also within cities so the initial struggle would be better done by you.

Its better to ask your wife to start searching for job in India as that will be a good support for your jobless period.
This to me will be the best option as even if our wife does not get a decent job for some time atleast she will have a support (Parent's) to take care of her and the child.
Asking your wife to go there with the child and your mother would become an added burden is what I think.

GIve it some time. Ask your wife to start searching here in india. and then make the move.

All the best from my end.

Hi Members,

I guess the second nightmare after PR grant is the actual moving out to Australia phase.

We tried to make a plan and started with Plan A, we are done till Plan G. I guess very soon we will complete till Z and start all over again with new plans starting A1 and go on and on :)

Husband - Little outdated software technology with 10+ years experience, planning to build skills in 6 months
Wife - Good technical software skills with 5+ years IT experience, but jobless post maternity gap

Plan A- Husband has home EMI(so cant risk of leaving current job), so Wife leave to OZ with 1 year old baby. Wife mother will travel in tourist VISA to take care of daughter and grand daughter. Husband joins Wife once she settle down

Plan B- Husband stays, while wife leaves all alone to find a job in OZ. Husband and baby joins in OZ once Wife finds a job

Plan C- Vice versa of Plan B, but if husband not finding a job in OZ then risk of losing current job, losing interest in OZ migration in future, India commitments grown u as a burden

Plan D- Wife finds a job in India, Hubby local commitments supported by Wife, meanwhile hubby finds job in OZ

Plan E- All 3 start immediately, to play a luck game and if don't succeed then come back after 3 months and start job search in India all over again.

Plan G- Both Husband and Wife work in India, making their tour to OZ before IED date. Save money and move permanently while comfortable, to survive without a job for 3 months, baby also 3+ years old(no need of daycare)

Please suggest which plan is good based on your experience or rank the plans if you have time. Also introduce new plans so it can benefit family people.

Don't comment on Plan Z~(infinity) which is, why did I apply or plan for a PR with so many commitments in first place?

Reactions: shorefisher

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Members,

We are in EXACTLY the same situation as yours, DITTO. We have had almost the same plans. Including Husband's number of years experience :)

The only difference is we are yet to get the grant.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Mighty congratulations.

Most that I know of (who didn't even have commitments back home like you) followed the plan where just one partner travels first and settles down with a good (preferably stable) job and arranges for a house before the other partner and family members join. I recommend you do the same. Since you have a baby too, it would be best if one partner settles well with a job and a nice family home to live in. Otherwise it could get stressful for all of you.
Also think about renting a property. It is quite difficult to get a good rental home for the family if you are not employed, even if you are willing to put down a lot of money towards the deposit. I suggest you plan for one partner to travel now and secure a job while staying in a shared accommodation.

All the best.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Wife also mentioned about same idea as that of you, but we are yet not certain about final decision.

Meanwhile I did remember about my plan F which is as follows

Plan F - Leave the baby in India :( , me and my wife will travel, find a job (either one of us or both) and then our baby will join us when we finally settle down

there is also a new plan which came across

Plan H - Make the initial entry to validate the visa, come back and continue old safe life till the baby turns 3+(to avoid high baby sitting charges) and then go back with good work experience and mature financial/family condition.

Also today when my wife searched over internet, even though if we are ready to pay for baby sitting, its all occupied in suburbans. It looks like we need to find a house based on the baby sitting availability :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
208 Posts
My Wife also mentioned about same idea as that of you, but we are yet not certain about final decision.

Plan F - Leave the baby in India :( , me and my wife will travel, find a job (either one of us or both) and then our baby will join us when we finally settle down

Plan H - Make the initial entry to validate the visa, come back and continue old safe life till the baby turns 3+(to avoid high baby sitting charges) and then go back with good work experience and mature financial/family condition.

Also today when my wife searched over internet, even though if we are ready to pay for baby sitting, its all occupied in suburbans. It looks like we need to find a house based on the baby sitting availability :fingerscrossed:
I think you have two options

1) Take the risk some things worth risk since you already have the visa ,get to down under hope you have sharpened your skills you need to be at your best on those to crack opportunity thrown at you and that too fast as you will miss your young ones and family once you are in OZ. So if you are yet to sharpen the skill and are not comfortable dont take the path. Sending wife and kid alone doesn't seem to be good as you will always be worried about them (my view).

2) Let the kid grow earn decent look for the opportunities being offshore and then move when you are comfortable rather than being hasty. You have got loans back here so definitely need to keep that on mind.

Cheers and all the best

·
Registered
6 Posts

You will receive baby assistance from CentreLink, so you can take your baby with you (with reference to Plan F)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in the same boat here. just got ITA and intend to apply for Visa next week itself. High level plan so far is to try and convince my boss who is from NZ to get me a job in Australia office after I have my grant (at this time he does not know about my plans). Wife will continue with the baby (11 months) here till I get settled and join me later (we have in-laws nearby so adequate support available).
Challenges are aplenty, AU region office has hiring freeze now and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it goes away in 6 months. We were working on our liabilities for some time so only 30k EMI will remain in next 3 months. Indian IT job scenario for people with our experience and good salary are very limited at this time due to saturation.
Worst case, I quit and go to Australia to find a job. Still building a corpus to survive for 1 year (so far we have enough to manage for 5-6 months @ AUD 2500 per month). Additionally looking to beef up skills which are in demand in AU in next 6 months to increase my chances. If I get a job, then I can use the corpus to pay off my house loan and get my wife and kid to join me earlier.

Reactions: shorefisher

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will receive baby assistance from CentreLink, so you can take your baby with you (with reference to Plan F)

Can you please pass on more information on what kind of assistance does Centrelink provides?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can you please pass on more information on what kind of assistance does Centrelink provides?
You need to wait atleast 2 years before you get some benefits from centrelink . Only thing you'll be eligible is "Family Tax benefit" , which you can claim for fortnightly payments and you need to have some income to get the claim approved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts