Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got married on UK visitor visa after discussion with registrar office and legal consultant. I leave UK before my visa got expired in Dec and now I am applying for settlement visa next week. All our papers are complete, however I read in this forum that marrying on visitor visa can cause problem.

As per UK registrar office we can legally marry in UK and they have checked all the documents. I am positive that there would be no challenge as such.

Let me know in case anyone wants to share their experience regarding the same. x

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But my husband is british citizen and we do confirm from home office. They verify our documents and then we register our marriage. I am confused now. As per home office the visitor visa should be valid for 3 months before registering the marriage and in our case all the documents were valid.

Can you please share the reason for refusal of that member's visa

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
But my husband is british citizen and we do confirm from home office. They verify our documents and then we register our marriage. I am confused now. As per home office the visitor visa should be valid for 3 months before registering the marriage and in our case all the documents were valid. Can you please share the reason for refusal of that member's visa
Because you are not allowed to get married under a visit visa. It's in the immigration rule. You weren't under marriage visit visa, were you? Then you broke the rule. Under the rules, those who break a condition of their stay are liable to get their future visa application turned down. Until recently Home Office took a rather lenient line and just gave you a slapped wrist, but they have become much stricter and visa denial is a distinct possibility but not certainty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand your point, however home office given us the permission to get marry after checking our documents. If it was against immigration law they should have told us there and then and we can plan our marriage in India. This is bit sad. I dont know what to do next?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you are right. Thanks everyone for replying and clarifying things. It's really a great forum and I appreciate the effort everyone puts in. xx

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
When you apply, make sure you declare you broke the law by marrying as visitor, and show regret and remorse. While the action wasn't deliberate, acknowledge you should have done more homework before going ahead. By being remorseful and taking full responsibility for your actions (don't mention register office said it was ok), you may just be lucky for them to overlook your illegal action. But don't count on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same situation:(, the action wasn't deliberate, and nothing we can do with it now, Applied last week, really stressful , i never broke any immigration rules, traveled around the world, have lots of Shengen and UK visas, hope everything will be fine

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry if this upsets people but I cannot believe that posters were NOT aware that their actions were against Visa conditions or 'deliberate'. I truly do not understand how Registrars are allowed to marry people on visitors Visas knowing this fact.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually the problem is, most of the people are not aware about this immigration law. However, when they visit registrar office, they confirm that they can register marriage in UK. My husband was willing to come to India with me for court marriage, but he thought of confirming with registrar office as he is UK citizen and then they said, we can register our marriage in UK and there's no need for him to travel to india.

Now when I am applying for spouse visa, I get to read all this on internet.

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
Yes that used to be a problem (hearing different things from registrars) and Home Office has changed rules so that if someone turns up without required visa, registrar is obliged to refer them to Home Office for a ruling and cannot accept them for marriage without it. So hopefully the situation will become clearer from now on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.