Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an offer from Sydney and they are offering 100k. I am not sure if I should be happy or what, rather I am confused, because Sydney is very expensive and I m not sure if this will be enough for a family of 3. What will I get in hand salary after tax deductions? Which areas should I prefer to live in? Please don't mention numbeo, they give very vague numbers, I have already checked that. What is minimum for 3 of us to live in Sydney in a decent, crime free area, I am not looking on savings for first year.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have an offer from Sydney and they are offering 100k. I am not sure if I should be happy or what, rather I am confused, because Sydney is very expensive and I m not sure if this will be enough for a family of 3. What will I get in hand salary after tax deductions? Which areas should I prefer to live in? Please don't mention numbeo, they give very vague numbers, I have already checked that. What is minimum for 3 of us to live in Sydney in a decent, crime free area, I am not looking on savings for first year.
Congratulations mate. I believe 100K is a good start, since it gives some cushion as soon as you land there, unlike many of them who spend from their pocket for first few months. You are free to move on after about an year or so once you gain enough local exeprience. One of my friend took up a low paying job initially and within 8 months he latched on to a better paying contract job.

Also do share how did you manage to find this job and I also assume they were okay to wait for you with your current notice period?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations mate. I believe 100K is a good start, since it gives some cushion as soon as you land there, unlike many of them who spend from their pocket for first few months. You are free to move on after about an year or so once you gain enough local exeprience. One of my friend took up a low paying job initially and within 8 months he latched on to a better paying contract job.

Also do share how did you manage to find this job and I also assume they were okay to wait for you with your current notice period?
I was in Adelaide last week and gave a video interview, since I was in same timezone, and had a local number, that helped. I had already uploaded my resume on seek

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in Adelaide last week and gave a video interview, since I was in same timezone, and had a local number, that helped. I had already uploaded my resume on seek

I know it gives a cushion, but I need to be sure I I can survive with family of 3 on this. Also, what will be in hand after tax?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I know it gives a cushion, but I need to be sure I I can survive with family of 3 on this. Also, what will be in hand after tax?

Check this site --> https://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Whats your Job Code? Are the new folks okay with your notice period?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I might have to move earlier, by Jan instead of feb.

Wow, a job secured remotely where they are prepared to wait 5 months for you to start? That's very unusual, you must have very rare experience and skills. What is it you do?

On surviving on 100K, yes that's doable IMHO, but you won't be living like a prince. That's about 6K per month net. You can probably get a fairly decent 2 bedroom on North Shore for 700pw. take off 1200 for essentials and you're at 500 per week for discretionary and groceries. Doable.

Note I don't live in SYdney yet.... so all my own guesswork.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, a job secured remotely where they are prepared to wait 5 months for you to start? That's very unusual, you must have very rare experience and skills. What is it you do?

On surviving on 100K, yes that's doable IMHO, but you won't be living like a prince. That's about 6K per month net. You can probably get a fairly decent 2 bedroom on North Shore for 700pw. take off 1200 for essentials and you're at 500 per week for discretionary and groceries. Doable.

Note I don't live in SYdney yet.... so all my own guesswork.
I am looking for a 2 bedroom, good schools nearby. I can adjust for a year or so without any savings, but want to make sure that I don't end up miscalculating.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello everyone,

Yes this salary is sufficient for average living in Sydney. As long as you don't want to live in a large luxury house ... etc.

The further away from the CBD the cheaper you'll pay for rent.

If you can advise the location of the company and how far you're willing to travel everyday, then it would be easier to suggest some areas to live in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes this salary is sufficient for average living in Sydney. As long as you don't want to live in a large luxury house ... etc.

The further away from the CBD the cheaper you'll pay for rent.

If you can advise the location of the company and how far you're willing to travel everyday, then it would be easier to suggest some areas to live in.
Good point, also since my profile is very niche and the company that I am working with is not very big in terms of employees, they will get me started with their work remotely starting October this year. And, then I can get working with them in jan. How far should I travel daily in your opinion? Should I get a car or use public transport?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Good point, also since my profile is very niche and the company that I am working with is not very big in terms of employees, they will get me started with their work remotely starting October this year. And, then I can get working with them in jan. How far should I travel daily in your opinion? Should I get a car or use public transport?

Depends where the office is. If it's CBD, public transport is the smarter option. As for commute time, that's entirely up to you. I've commuted a fair but in my life. My experience:
  • >2 hours is punishing and strips you of all free time. Only possible with an employer that allows serious flex time. Under 30, you might still have the energy, but at 40 this leaves me shattered
  • 90-120 minutes. Doable, but means you will need to be OK with 6-7 hours sleep a night if you want to see your family. Helps if employer allows early start-early leave. 1 day a week from home helps also.
  • 60-90 minutes. Top end of 9-5.30 job feasibility
  • 30-60 minutes - Ideal
  • <30 minutes - Never happened in my 20 years of working.

Congrats mate. You've given me hope that I can get a job before I land. Unsure how feasible, but it's nice to hope.

·
Registered
198 Posts

That's awesome, may be in January, they'll allow you to work 1 or 2 days from home.

If your office is close to public transport, then public transport is the way to go. If not, then you'll need a car.

As far as how long you should travel, that is a personal choice. While some may not mind travelling up to 2 hours 1 way, others may not want to travel 1/2 an hour 1 way & the prefer to pay higher rent to be closer to work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Depends where the office is. If it's CBD, public transport is the smarter option. As for commute time, that's entirely up to you. I've commuted a fair but in my life. My experience:
  • >2 hours is punishing and strips you of all free time. Only possible with an employer that allows serious flex time. Under 30, you might still have the energy, but at 40 this leaves me shattered
  • 90-120 minutes. Doable, but means you will need to be OK with 6-7 hours sleep a night if you want to see your family. Helps if employer allows early start-early leave. 1 day a week from home helps also.
  • 60-90 minutes. Top end of 9-5.30 job feasibility
  • 30-60 minutes - Ideal
  • <30 minutes - Never happened in my 20 years of working.

Congrats mate. You've given me hope that I can get a job before I land. Unsure how feasible, but it's nice to hope.
Yes there is hope in getting a job before landing here. It is not impossible, but it is very hard to achieve.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good luck with your new job

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello everyone,

What! You got a 100k offer and are still confused whether if its good or not. I know people in Sydney, familes of 4 or 5, managing in 70-80K monthly salary.

What is your profession? I guess it is IT related.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What! You got a 100k offer and are still confused whether if its good or not. I know people in Sydney, familes of 4 or 5, managing in 70-80K monthly salary.

What is your profession? I guess it is IT related.
Yes, I am in IT. Thanks for the updates. Since my in-hand will be about 6500 after tax (I think) so can I manage in this amount? Say 600 rent per week, groceries, bills, phone, travel/ car?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, I am in IT. Thanks for the updates. Since my in-hand will be about 6500 after tax (I think) so can I manage in this amount? Say 600 rent per week, groceries, bills, phone, travel/ car?

Yes, you can. It is up to you how you do that. And definitely, you don't have the option of doing all this in a luxury mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, you can. It is up to you how you do that. And definitely, you don't have the option of doing all this in a luxury mode.
Ofcourse my friend. I want that I should be able to live off it, luxury is something I cannot aim at as of now. Thanks. Any other suggestions, like good areas to live, my friend suggested Strathfield, also, how easy is it to rent a house there? Does the agent give it easily or they check rent history?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ofcourse my friend. I want that I should be able to live off it, luxury is something I cannot aim at as of now. Thanks. Any other suggestions, like good areas to live, my friend suggested Strathfield, also, how easy is it to rent a house there? Does the agent give it easily or they check rent history?

Strathfield is an established suburb, with private schools & it has a major train station, where a number of train lines pass through. So rent is will probably be a bit expensive.

Since you have a job already, it will be much easier for the agent/ owner to accept your application.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You would be able to live comfortably , but you wouldn't be able to save much. To be able to save both the husband and wife should be working.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts