Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't begin to tell you just how valuable they are. With the large truck I drive and the narrow, one was streets here it is so much easier if you load Google Maps then type the destination into the search bar. You locate it in the normal street map mode then zoom in slowly. You have to try a little to get right over the street but when you do switch to the "Satelite" view and you can virtually drive down the road spotting landmarks just before the business so you can try to find out where to park before you actually drive there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I can't begin to tell you just how valuable they are. With the large truck I drive and the narrow, one was streets here it is so much easier if you load Google Maps then type the destination into the search bar. You locate it in the normal street map mode then zoom in slowly. You have to try a little to get right over the street but when you do switch to the "Satelite" view and you can virtually drive down the road spotting landmarks just before the business so you can try to find out where to park before you actually drive there.
I love Google maps! 20 or 25 years ago, who could have imagined the difference this technology would make to driving and traveling? (Well, not me anyway--I guess someone did!) Remember AAA Triptiks? They seemed amazing at the time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Does google maps have an 'offline' mode ? Can you download the entire map of Mexico to the phone beforehand ?
I've done a little research...

How to Use Google Maps Offline | Time.com

"Google Maps allows you to download maps of certain areas and neighborhoods to your phone so that they can be accessed offline. It's important to note that you will need to be connected to the Internet in order to save these maps to your device. But once they've been downloaded, you'll be able to access them anytime, whether your phone is online or offline.
There are also some limitations to keep in mind. When downloading maps for offline use, you'll only be able to access driving directions, since transit, bicycling, and walking directions are only available online."

I use the Here android app. It is also free. I have the entire map of Mexico (512MB) on my phone so I can use it everywhere in Mexico offline. I do have to go online at times to set a destination. We used the app this week to find a restaurant in Mexico City which was 40 minutes walking distance from the angel. It got us there fine but I did not hear the same talking directions as when I drive - but I can't swear the the volume wasn't turned off. On our trip to Guanajunto earlier this month my wife printed off hard copy directions from Google Maps but I used Here. The routes were slightly different.

They have a website wego.here.com which offers a satellite view but I don't see that option on the phone.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is cool to be at street level and pan around looking at the shops. We are having hell finding buttons. Even Walmart didn't have buttons.

·
Super Moderator
9,118 Posts
It is cool to be at street level and pan around looking at the shops. We are having hell finding buttons. Even Walmart didn't have buttons.
No Walmart near me, but I have found very nice buttons at a tiny shop specializing in sewing and knitting supplies a few blocks from my house. Maybe there's a store like that in your neighborhood.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Walmart near me, but I have found very nice buttons at a tiny shop specializing in sewing and knitting supplies a few blocks from my house. Maybe there's a store like that in your neighborhood.
We have looked and are still looking. That's why I like Google maps, so much easier to do a visual search than driving.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't laugh, but I discovered an awesome Cenaduria when I checked out my Tiny Town on Google Maps.
A wonderful grandma grows almost everything herself, and serves tasty goodness 7days a week. She even picks/drys and roasts her own coffee beens.
Needless to say, my wife and I try to make it once a week :)

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,096 Posts
I don't have a car. Just walk around my neighborhood and I usually find what I'm looking for.
Google maps is equally great for walking if one is in a strange neighborhood. In fact, just a hour ago, someone stopped and asked me for directions to a place I didn't know. We looked at google maps and sent her on her way.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We have looked and are still looking. That's why I like Google maps, so much easier to do a visual search than driving.
I would start my search for buttons here :

https://www.telasgrupoparisina.com/

Looks like they have dozens of stores throughout Mexico.

(I do not think you would ever have found it walking down the street in google maps - sorry. Unless you have lots of free time.)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I was going to say that you should look at Parisina, but horseshoe846 beat me to it.
Also look at Fantasías Miguel, which is the Mexican cousin of Michael's in the US.

My wife does a lot of knitting and sewing so she hunts for buttons quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.