Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In my various posts i have been quite negative about the UK and London so thought i would show im not 1 sided here are my top 10:

1 - History - forget the tube map you can walk round all to good spots and it is dripping with history.

2 - The noodleshop on bethnal green road - Ok i will expand that to be the wealth of fantastic and varied food.

3 - Samuel Pepys - The guy is a legend! you can still go to his church in seething street and visit his house in huntingdon.

4 - Shropshire - forget Devon / Cornwall they are theme park countryside now crammed with caravans and shed draggers... i lived there and it was not nice.. Shropshire and wales are beautiful and green and very sparsly populated

5 - The police - without a doubt the most just and fair police service in the world! a credit to the uk.. whenever dealing with police in eurpoe you will remember how good they are

6 - equality - I dont know how much longer it will last but the UK was always fair.. but this is now being bent too far and certian groups taking advantage of it.

7 - Being snowed in - I know its lame but if you get a tiny bit of snow the UK grinds to a hault and people act like a scene from "the day after tomorrow"... love working from home on these days

8 - Its cheap... ok london may not be and houses are a bit high but compared to spain and especially france the uk is soooo cheap cor grocerys and even petrol..

9 - accents - I think accents are brilliant and although my native cockney is sadly diluted i love listening to geordies and scoucers its amazing how vaired the accents are in such a small area... Also the names people refer to eachother as.. eg sand-dancers (smehere near but not in newcastle) and monkey-hangers... great!!

10 - sorry its history again - the uk is a rotting corpse of an empire long gone but occasionally there is small echo of greatness and culture sadly slipped away

Please feel free to add / disagree!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

In my various posts i have been quite negative about the UK and London so thought i would show im not 1 sided here are my top 10:

1 - History - forget the tube map you can walk round all to good spots and it is dripping with history.

2 - The noodleshop on bethnal green road - Ok i will expand that to be the wealth of fantastic and varied food.

3 - Samuel Pepys - The guy is a legend! you can still go to his church in seething street and visit his house in huntingdon.

4 - Shropshire - forget Devon / Cornwall they are theme park countryside now crammed with caravans and shed draggers... i lived there and it was not nice.. Shropshire and wales are beautiful and green and very sparsly populated

5 - The police - without a doubt the most just and fair police service in the world! a credit to the uk.. whenever dealing with police in eurpoe you will remember how good they are

6 - equality - I dont know how much longer it will last but the UK was always fair.. but this is now being bent too far and certian groups taking advantage of it.

7 - Being snowed in - I know its lame but if you get a tiny bit of snow the UK grinds to a hault and people act like a scene from "the day after tomorrow"... love working from home on these days

8 - Its cheap... ok london may not be and houses are a bit high but compared to spain and especially france the uk is soooo cheap cor grocerys and even petrol..

9 - accents - I think accents are brilliant and although my native cockney is sadly diluted i love listening to geordies and scoucers its amazing how vaired the accents are in such a small area... Also the names people refer to eachother as.. eg sand-dancers (smehere near but not in newcastle) and monkey-hangers... great!!

10 - sorry its history again - the uk is a rotting corpse of an empire long gone but occasionally there is small echo of greatness and culture sadly slipped away

Please feel free to add / disagree!
Our country has a wealth of history, some magnificent countryside, welcoming and friendly people (as with most countries, people outside of cities are friendlier). LOADS of things to do and see, and still has a lot to give.

Don't run down your homeland, it shames me when I see people doing so. Be proud of where you're from. Yes, things have gone downhill slightly in recent years, but that can always be fixed.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Our country has a wealth of history, some magnificent countryside, welcoming and friendly people (as with most countries, people outside of cities are friendlier). LOADS of things to do and see, and still has a lot to give.

Don't run down your homeland, it shames me when I see people doing so. Be proud of where you're from. Yes, things have gone downhill slightly in recent years, but that can always be fixed.

Sorry, homeland or not, I cant stand the place - London or anywhere else there

Jo xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Why is that?
I'm not sure this thread is the right place for a list of my dislikes LOL (I think we're meant to be selling it as a good place!!!). But its nothing to do with the present mess, altho that doesnt help. "Claustrophobic", both physically and mentally would be my one word answer I guess! :D It wouldnt pay for us all to like the same things tho

Jo xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not sure this thread is the right place for a list of my dislikes LOL (I think we're meant to be selling it as a good place!!!). But its nothing to do with the present mess, altho that doesnt help. "Claustrophobic", both physically and mentally would be my one word answer I guess! :D It wouldnt pay for us all to like the same things tho

Jo xxx
That's fair enough. I'd love to live in another country, not because of my disdain for this one (not that I have any), but I just want to experience other cultures and learn more. Italia is calling me, but it'll be a few years before I contemplate moving there. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The good things about living in the UK are: -

1. A nice cup of tea
2. The british humour
3. Tesco being open 24 hours a day
4. Premiership coverage almost everyday
5. Close proximity to Europe

That's all I can think of so far....can't exactly give you a long list because simply there isn't too many to think of. The dislikes I could write a ton if anyone wants them.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned healthcare - the NHS gets a right bashing but go compare it to other countries and it's not that bad all in all. At least it's free!

I am sick to the back teeth of the UK but I do think it gets a lot of unnecessary criticism from its own media and public (part of why I am sick of it).

Chungy - as a resident of Hull I do feel your pain :)

Couple more UK positives:

I think we are producing some great TV and music at the moment, although they're highly subject to personal opinion!
Britain in summertime - I don't think there's anywhere else that is as grateful for a bit of sunshine, and it brings out the best in people generally.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Great things about the UK

People drive on the proper side of the road
TV is sooooooo much better than the UAE
When you go to the cinema, most people actually put their mobiles off/on silent
The countryside
The local pub
Heritage
Taxi drivers that know where they are going (not mini-cabs)
Free education
Free healthcare

Just a few things I miss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.