Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these messages are dramatic and self centred, but I have grown disillusioned with the turn this forum has taken and have decided to take my leave.

Now pretty much every single message is a request for immigration advice, in other words most of the people posting are not expatriates at all, so the original purpose of the forum "Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK" has been completely lost.

The people providing knowledgeable advice must be commended, I wonder if people asking these questions would get this kind of advice elsewhere, but it leaves us expats without a place to come and discuss things that matter to people already living here.

Anyway, that's all, the forum isn't mine, so I should move on thankful for the chances it offered initially.

Good luck to you all!

·
Administrator
36,526 Posts
I know these messages are dramatic and self centred, but I have grown disillusioned with the turn this forum has taken and have decided to take my leave.

Now pretty much every single message is a request for immigration advice, in other words most of the people posting are not expatriates at all, so the original purpose of the forum "Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK" has been completely lost.

The people providing knowledgeable advice must be commended, I wonder if people asking these questions would get this kind of advice elsewhere, but it leaves us expats without a place to come and discuss things that matter to people already living here.

Anyway, that's all, the forum isn't mine, so I should move on thankful for the chances it offered initially.

Good luck to you all!
It's sad that a long term member should feel this way

this isn't an immigration forum - it's just that most posts it seems to attract are immigration questions

we have had discussions about how to encourage 'living in the UK' questions again, and we've even started threads along those lines, but they fizzled out :(

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/britain-expat-forum-expats-living-uk/534218-culture-shock.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/br...where-can-i-buy-whats-similar-equivalent.html

as a long-time member, do you have any suggestions as to how we might achieve this?

and as nyclon says - please do start any threads you feel would be interesting

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There's interest in discussing non-immigration issues about life in the UK. I agree there was more activity along this line in the past.

I wonder about current events issues. For instance, I read that the Tories plan to cut the Home Office budget by 30%. I can't imagine that will be good. All of the cuts sounds like they will be painful. I wonder how they will affect the UK economy.

Personally, I've been searching on British recipes, and there are many ingredients that are different. It's been a fun challenge making these, and figuring out US substitutions (I'm still in the US). We've very much enjoyed British food, pub food has been particularly good, and I would like to replicate some of those nice experiences.

Just some thoughts on topics that might interest me.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
While I agree that far too many posts (at least in the two sections of the forum that I read) are from people asking immigration related questions, and particularly ones to which they could easily find the answers in ten seconds with a Google search, there isn't much that can be done about those posts other than for the mods to delete them. That being said, the mods are people who have their own lives and perform their tasks here on a voluntary basis so we cannot expect them to devote an inordinate amount of time to policing this place. I have been a moderator on other forums and know from experience that it can be a time consuming task.

Perhaps the solution is to ignore the immigration question threads and to start more discussion type threads that might interest other expats enough to get them engaged in the conversation?

·
Administrator
36,526 Posts
s
There's interest in discussing non-immigration issues about life in the UK. I agree there was more activity along this line in the past.

I wonder about current events issues. For instance, I read that the Tories plan to cut the Home Office budget by 30%. I can't imagine that will be good. All of the cuts sounds like they will be painful. I wonder how they will affect the UK economy.

Personally, I've been searching on British recipes, and there are many ingredients that are different. It's been a fun challenge making these, and figuring out US substitutions (I'm still in the US). We've very much enjoyed British food, pub food has been particularly good, and I would like to replicate some of those nice experiences.

Just some thoughts on topics that might interest me.
so start threads about what interest you !!!

these are all things which affect those already living in Britain, and those who soon will

there's a link in my last post on this thread about substituting ingredients & so on - & lots of the other country forums have recipe threads - by all means start one here

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Personally, I've made the conscious decision to stopped reading the postings about EEA family permits since they don't apply to me. Mostly I try to keep on top of the changes such as the BRP and IHS, and how they might impact my situation.

I've started a UK recipe and ingredient thread and posted a question on it...

Reactions: clever-octopus

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to add my 2cents in here, I actually came onto this forum looking for more general information on living in the UK so I would personally love to see more threads on general living rather than all the immigration questions, not to say a lot of it is helpful and it is great that people can come here to ask for advice/help if they can't find it elsewhere or if they want confirmation that they have all the right paperwork but yeah I would love to see more non immigration related topics! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.