Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to play a round of golf every week, up until about five years ago. I was terrible (30+ handicap) but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Just recently I've been looking into starting again with a cheap half-set of clubs and a bag from Decathlon (€200), plus the necessary balls, tees, and such.

I took a trip out to our local public (nine hole) course to walk around and found it quite nice, along with a driving range and a putting practice green. €25/round. €7.50 for two buckets of balls for the range. All good so far.

It turns out that in order to play on any French golf course it appears you need a "license" issued by the French Golf Federation, which involves required lessons from the club "pro" and a test. Don't want the lessons (at least to start with) and the test idea annoys the heck out of me. All I want is a "good walk spoiled' and a couple of pleasant hours wacking a little ball around.

Is the license thing correct? If so I'll play petanque...

·
Registered
18,373 Posts
I used to play a round of golf every week, up until about five years ago. I was terrible (30+ handicap) but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Just recently I've been looking into starting again with a cheap half-set of clubs and a bag from Decathlon (€200), plus the necessary balls, tees, and such.

I took a trip out to our local public (nine hole) course to walk around and found it quite nice, along with a driving range and a putting practice green. €25/round. €7.50 for two buckets of balls for the range. All good so far.

It turns out that in order to play on any French golf course it appears you need a "license" issued by the French Golf Federation, which involves required lessons from the club "pro" and a test. Don't want the lessons (at least to start with) and the test idea annoys the heck out of me. All I want is a "good walk spoiled' and a couple of pleasant hours wacking a little ball around.

Is the license thing correct? If so I'll play petanque...
Pretty much (and getting your card is also something of an international thing), but with some of those short courses you can take out a sort of short-term membership which includes lessons (a good way of improving your game and meeting others) and allows you to play by yourself or with someone else as long as you don't interfere with other players and get out of their way when they are coming through. Most good clubs will not allow you to play without the card, or without taking lessons, because of the interference with others.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You will also need to have insurance .. in case you hit someone with your ball or your club i.e. your club flies out of your hands. And a medical certificate.
The insurance is cheap and the med cert is usually free from your MT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not been to the field for a long time due to quarantine. Sitting at home, I decided to pick up a new golf club here golf-hook.com/reviews/best-titleist-drivers/ I chose the Titleist AP1 golf club for myself. I consider this to be one of the most gentle irons designed especially for players with intermediate to high handicap levels. He can hit high and has a low center of gravity. Strong and long-lasting flight is ensured by the low speed of rotation of this club. It was possible to hold the green because of the large landing angle, but it was not suitable for a knockdown. I can't wait to get back to the field again.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...I decided to pick up a new golf club here golf-hook.com/reviews/best-titleist-drivers/ I chose the Titleist AP1 golf club for myself. I consider this to be one of the most gentle irons designed especially for players with intermediate to high handicap levels.
I have ordered an 18 degree driving iron (aka a "cleek") for €40 that I haven't got an chance of hitting well. A good friend of mine suggested doing this many years ago as it really confuses good golfers when they see a rank beginner with one of these things in their bag...:rolleyes:
I'm also re-reading Harry Vardon's "The Complete Golfer" and Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons".
Start at the beginning (again).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts