Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are unsure of were we would prefer to spend the holidays, my husband cant currently get more than a week off from work specially during this time of year so we are leaning more on the UK but my Spouse visa is valid after the Holidays. Can I go to the UK a month before the valid from date on my spouse visa? Using of course the normal visitor rights that non visa nationals have? Or would I have problems entering the UK?

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
You can enter before your Spouse Visa is valid, but you will have to leave the UK (for as little as a few hours) and return after the "Valid From" date on your visa.

I.E. if your visa is valid from 28 December, you'll have to leave the UK and come back on 28 December to start your visa... you could just take a morning Eurostar train to Paris on December 28 and come right back to the UK later on in the day on the 28th (you could also leave for Paris before December 28 and come back on the 28th)... you could fly from the UK into Spain and, as long as you come back on or after 28 December, you'll be able to activate your visa.

The only place that you cannot go to do this is the Republic of Ireland, as there is no border control on your return to the UK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I thought this would be the case, I don't see why they would turn me down but I Just wanted to make sure. I didn't want to get there and then have problems entering. Thank you for your reply WestCoastCanadianGirl, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
If you want to do that, make sure when you first arrive in UK you have documentary proof of your 'day-trip' to Paris (e.g. confirmed Eurostar reservation) for a date on or after the 'valid from' date on your visa. Plus the usual funds, accommodation etc so you won't be a burden on the state or tempted to seek work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Joppa, If we end up deciding on spending the Holidays in the UK I will do as you say.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
That day trip won't be exactly cheap, as fares shoot up for the holiday season.
You may decide it's simpler and less risky just to holiday together in Europe and then enter UK on or after the 'valid from' date.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.